Author Topic: Report: Lue debating upon making Love the starting center this season  (Read 4713 times)

Re: Report: Lue debating upon making Love the starting center this season
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 12:23:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
When I see Rose and Wade, both well past their primes, and both never stellar defenders considered as starters, then add Love at the 5, and eventually IT... who the heck will defend anyone?

The best player in the world of course .

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 12:25:32 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
When I see Rose and Wade, both well past their primes, and both never stellar defenders considered as starters, then add Love at the 5, and eventually IT... who the heck will defend anyone?

but Gordon Hayward is a Celtic not a cavalier

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 04:16:23 PM »

Online timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Depends on the matchup

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 04:58:04 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

The Cavaliers have also been playing Jae Crowder at the 4 with the starters during training camp, adding another defensive-oriented player to the mix.

Really?  Crowder is 6'-4" and Lebron is 6'-8" but Crowder is going to play (defend) the PF position when they are both on the court?  I don't buy it.  I predict this experiment will fail.

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 05:05:18 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

The Cavaliers have also been playing Jae Crowder at the 4 with the starters during training camp, adding another defensive-oriented player to the mix.

Really?  Crowder is 6'-4" and Lebron is 6'-8" but Crowder is going to play (defend) the PF position when they are both on the court?  I don't buy it.  I predict this experiment will fail.
good.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 08:33:01 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Looks like the decision has been made.  Love will start at center.  Thompson has made it a goal to win the 6th man of the year.  Wade will likely start at SG, however he is apparently going to be the "PG" for the second unit (at least until Thomas is back when Rose will go to the bench) and will get a lot of run without James, Rose, and Love on the floor as the main play maker.

Of course all of that is open for change depending on success of course
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 09:04:51 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Makes a lot of sense.  They have a ton of depth in their backcourt they need to open up minutes for.  My minute distribution for them with a healthy IT would be something like:

Guards (96 total min): IT (32) / Wade (26) / Rose (20) / Smith (18) / Calderon emergency
Forwards (96 total min): Lebron (36) / Crowder (28) / Jeff Green (20) / R Jefferson (6) / Korver (6)
Center (48 total min): Love (32) / Thompson (16) / Frye emergency

I think Shumpert will/should be traded.  I think we'll see a rotation of IT, Wade, Rose, Smith, Korver, Lebron, Crowder, Jeff Green, and R Jeff all getting all getting occasional DNPs to get people heavier doses of minutes in fewer games to even things out.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 09:21:08 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Korver will play a lot more than 6 minutes a game. 

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 11:58:23 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Who do you think gets the short end of the sticks minute wise though? They really have created a logjam for themselves in the backcourt, and to a lesser extent small forward. Is James a fulltime power forward now?

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 12:39:29 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Who do you think gets the short end of the sticks minute wise though? They really have created a logjam for themselves in the backcourt, and to a lesser extent small forward. Is James a fulltime power forward now?
I would imagine that the main regular season rotation (with a healthy Thomas) for them will be something like this

PG - Thomas 30, Rose 18
SG - Wade 28, Smith 18, Korver 2
SF - James 38, Korver 10
PF - Crowder 28, Thompson 20
C - Love 36, Thompson 12

I really don't think Green, Jefferson, or Shumpert plays in the healthy regular rotation at all.  Same with Frye or Calderon.  I would expect Osman, Felder, and Zizic (if they make the team to be in the GLeague all season - though they only have 1 roster spot if all of those other guys are still on the roster)

Obviously without Thomas, that opens a lot more minutes.  And while Thompson isn't starting, I do expect him to play a lot with Love and still get starter level minutes.

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2017, 01:09:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I would imagine that the main regular season rotation (with a healthy Thomas) for them will be something like this

PG - Thomas 30, Rose 18
SF - James 38, Korver 10
C - Love 36, Thompson 12

I really don't think Green, Jefferson, or Shumpert plays in the healthy regular rotation at all.  Same with Frye or Calderon.  I would expect Osman, Felder, and Zizic (if they make the team to be in the GLeague all season - though they only have 1 roster spot if all of those other guys are still on the roster)

Obviously without Thomas, that opens a lot more minutes.  And while Thompson isn't starting, I do expect him to play a lot with Love and still get starter level minutes.

I see that rotation getting both Smith and Rose very upset. Rose is essentially on a make good contract in his late 20's. If he is only able to play 18 minutes a game it is going to keep him at low level minutes, stats and salary next year after getting 20 million less than he wanted this year. Do you think he really has just turned over a new leaf and only cares about winning?

Jr Smith also seems like an extremely combustible player (as we have seen in the past). He has averaged 30 minutes a game the last 3 years in Cleveland. Will he not throw a fit having that reduced 50% or more?

I feel like they really have created a lot of potential chemistry problems for themselves with the signing of wade.

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2017, 01:29:33 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

PG - Thomas 30, Rose 18
SF - James 38, Korver 10
C - Love 36, Thompson 12

I see that rotation getting both Smith and Rose very upset. Rose is essentially on a make good contract in his late 20's. If he is only able to play 18 minutes a game it is going to keep him at low level minutes, stats and salary next year after getting 20 million less than he wanted this year. Do you think he really has just turned over a new leaf and only cares about winning?

Jr Smith also seems like an extremely combustible player (as we have seen in the past). He has averaged 30 minutes a game the last 3 years in Cleveland. Will he not throw a fit having that reduced 50% or more?

I feel like they really have created a lot of potential chemistry problems for themselves with the signing of wade.
Rose has at least until January till Thomas even plays and Thomas isn't going to be at full strength for awhile after that.  That also means Smith is getting a lot more minutes during that period as well.  Come playoff time, I don't think either will throw a stink about a few less minutes if the team is winning. 

So for the first few months of the season the rotation will be something like this

PG - Rose 28, Wade 15, Calderon 5
SG - Wade 13, Smith 30, Korver 5
SF - James 38, Korver 10
C - Love 36, Thompson 12

I expect Rose, James, and Wade to all take nights off so that will open up even more minutes for players.

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2017, 02:53:42 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

but Gordon Hayward Daniel Theis is a Celtic not a cavalier

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2017, 03:45:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm really looking forward to seeing how many points per 100 possessions Thomas, Wade, Smith, Bron, and Love give up.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2017, 04:06:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

PG - Thomas 30, Rose 18
SF - James 38, Korver 10
C - Love 36, Thompson 12

Rose has at least until January till Thomas even plays and Thomas isn't going to be at full strength for awhile after that.  That also means Smith is getting a lot more minutes during that period as well.  Come playoff time, I don't think either will throw a stink about a few less minutes if the team is winning. 

So for the first few months of the season the rotation will be something like this

PG - Rose 28, Wade 15, Calderon 5
SG - Wade 13, Smith 30, Korver 5
SF - James 38, Korver 10
C - Love 36, Thompson 12

I expect Rose, James, and Wade to all take nights off so that will open up even more minutes for players.

Kind of seems like holding your nose and hoping injuries and rest keep a bunch of players with big egos happy. That seems like a recipe for disaster. Also it is not like Wade or Smith are strangers to winning that will just be elated to be playing on a good team after spending an entire lengthy career on lottery teams. Rose has given many many comments that he still views himself as a superstar the last few years. Not sure where you are guessing he has a whole new personality this year because he had no interest on free agent market.