Author Topic: Report: Lue debating upon making Love the starting center this season  (Read 4722 times)

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
https://twitter.com/mcten/status/914236272356597760

New story: Ty Lue admits he is toying with making Kevin Love his starting center for the 2017-18 season

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20873022/kevin-love-cleveland-cavaliers-permanent-starting-center

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio -- Kevin Love could be named the Cleveland Cavaliers' permanent starter at center this season, with Tristan Thompson coming off the bench, coach Tyronn Lue said after practice Saturday.

Love said he has played "quite a bit" of time at the 5 with the Cavs' first unit through the first week of training camp.

Cleveland has dabbled with Love in that position in the past when it goes with a small-ball lineup -- and it had particular success with it in a first-round sweep of center Andre Drummond and the Detroit Pistons in the 2016 playoffs.

"Tristan is a very dynamic roller, guy that plays a lot as a dunker," Love said. "Myself, I have to play inside-out, mix that up and really take what the defense gives you. But it gives us a different look. I mentioned different dynamics out there on the floor with different lineups, and we're so deep now that [Dwyane Wade] and a lot of guys similar in size at that 4-5 spot, we're going to see guys playing interchangeable. It's not just going to be on the defensive end in that regard."

Speaking of defense, Lue said he was "fine" with any concerns that arise about swapping a stronger defender in Thompson to more of an offensive weapon in Love with the starting five.

Cleveland will have to try to replace the 177 3-pointers Kyrie Irving made last season. Going more through Love, who made 145 3-pointers last season, will help while Isaiah Thomas (245 made 3-pointers) -- who joined the Cavs when they traded Irving to Boston -- is out injured.

The Cavaliers have also been playing Jae Crowder at the 4 with the starters during training camp, adding another defensive-oriented player to the mix.

With Cleveland adding guards Derrick Rose and Wade -- both of whom thrive more in slashing to the paint than they do from the outside (Rose and Wade made a combined 58 3-pointers last season) -- Love's presence as a stretch-5, taking his defender out of the lane, will theoretically complement that.

"Spacing opportunities, spacing the floor," Lue said when asked what he likes about Love playing center. "Being able to play through the elbows with multiple guys."

With Irving's departure cutting the Cavs' original Big Three down to a dynamic duo between Love and LeBron James, Cleveland is focused on tapping Love's potential even more.

"Kevin is going to have the best year that he's had here," Lue told ESPN's Zach Lowe earlier this month. "I thought he was great anyway. You keep bringing up [Chris] Bosh. What did Bosh average in Miami? Kevin averaged almost 20 [points] and 10 [rebounds] with two other All-Stars. If you are on a championship-caliber team, you have to sacrifice. But this year is going to be a big opportunity for him. We're going to play through him more. He's going to get those elbow touches again."

I find this very interesting. While it would certainly make them more offensively dynamic, it would hurt their already terrible defense and take away a major advantage that they had on the boards with the combo of TT and Love.

Considering matching up with us, I think that is a dream come true for us. We matchup VERY, VERY well with them in that small lineup of IT, Wade, Crowder, Lebron, and Love with our lineup of Kyrie, Brown/Smart, Hayward, Morris, and Horford. It also gives us some relief on the boards, since we've traditionally had a difficult time dealing with TT on the boards.

Can you imagine the 1/5 and 1/4 PnR/PnPop that we would abuse them with?

Re: Report: Lue debating upon making Love the starting center this season
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 05:50:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Starting K-Love at center would definitely help mitigate their lack of outside shooting in the backcourt with D-Rose and D-Wade.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 06:27:41 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Sounds like a good move to me with more teams playing small ball as well as the Rose/Wade shooting limitations.  Assuming Crowder starts instead of Thompson, I don't think it hurts their defense much and it lessens the defensive load on Lebron.  Offensively that should be a much better lineup.  As far as rebounding goes, Love is a very good rebounder and outlet passer. 

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 07:31:48 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Love as a center is great rebounder and amazing outlet passer.  As defensive anchor, horrible.

put Noel on that team and that's something to worry about
Right now I'm ready for them!

Rose=sieve
Wade=sieve
More help defense from Love and James=more fouls (for love) no fouls called on lebron

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 07:55:03 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Wouldn't this make Crowder a starter by depth projections?

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 08:06:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wonder if this move is to placate Wade's ego and get him in the starting lineup. My starters would have been Rose/Lebron/Crowder/Love/Thompson.

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 08:09:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
This seems like a good idea against most teams but some I think Crowder should come off the bench
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 08:20:36 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
So it would be: Love, Crowder, Lebron, Wade, and Rose for now, replaced with IT maybe later? They would get totally destroyed on defense and on the boards.

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 08:47:01 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
So it would be: Love, Crowder, Lebron, Wade, and Rose for now, replaced with IT maybe later? They would get totally destroyed on defense and on the boards.
Looks like a good rebounding lineup to me.

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 08:47:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
they can not score enough to win big games without Love playing alot more and he is a good rebounder.   

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 09:29:06 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Interesting move by LeBron.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 09:37:47 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Interesting move by LeBron.

haha tp!

I don't think it matters if Thompson starts or not, he will still get a lot of minutes.  I can't imagine Wade and DRose going through the whole year without injury problems.  Not sure I really agree with Love about the cavs depth. 

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 09:58:11 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
It won't matter where Love starts as he can't guard any position on the floor.

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 11:35:59 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So they have Thompson off the bench?
Expensive bench big man.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 11:51:23 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
When I see Rose and Wade, both well past their primes, and both never stellar defenders considered as starters, then add Love at the 5, and eventually IT... who the heck will defend anyone?