Author Topic: Westbrook Signs Max Extension  (Read 3496 times)

Westbrook Signs Max Extension
« on: September 29, 2017, 03:17:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Woj and others reporting. 5 years, $205 million. Extension had been in the works for awhile but is finally done.

If OKC can resign Paul George they could have their foundation to carry into the next decade.

westbrook finally signs
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 03:17:47 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Russell Westbrook has agreed to a five-year, $205M contract extension with OKC, league sources tell ESPN.

Re: westbrook finally signs
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 03:18:12 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
delete plz

Re: westbrook finally signs
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 03:19:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
delete plz

13 seconds and I used capitals!  :P :P :P (TP)

Re: Westbrook Signs Max Extension
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 03:23:51 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
nah lol, someone merged the two so it looks like i asked it to be yours...i asked for mine to be deleted not yours haha TP for beating me!

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 03:26:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I think George will stay there. If they move Adams for something could become a real super team

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 03:26:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
nah lol, someone merged the two so it looks like i asked it to be yours...i asked for mine to be deleted not yours haha TP for beating me!

I know, no worries there.

So Russ breaks the record for biggest contract in league history and OKC has a superstar locked down for as long as the CBA allows, plus two more All-NBA caliber players for at least this season, one of whom's just entering his prime. Really impressive turnaround Presti's made from losing Durant.

EDIT: And today is apparently Durant's birthday, haha. Doubt it's intentional but it is funny.

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Financially, I'm not sure if they will be able to keep the team together. I read somewhere that to keep all of their players it will cost $300 million in salary and repeater tax next year. That won't happen.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 03:43:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
So since KD left:

Durant - Fit in seamlessly with a historically great team, dominated the playoffs, won a championship & Finals MVP, took a huge pay cut to help keep the team together

Westbrook
- Took a million shots as a one man show, won MVP, lost in the first round, got his GM to make desperation trades to get one year rentals of P.G. and Melo, then signed a $200 million extension; will likely never win a title but will likely make substantially more money over his career than KD.

Seems about right.

I'm happy for OKC fans though.  These days it feels more and more rare for one player to stay with a team long term and to have that security as a fan to know your team will have a consistent core identity.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 03:45:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think George will stay there. If they move Adams for something could become a real super team

Adams is so underrated.  Isn't that exactly the kind of player you want as your garbage man in the starting lineup?  He's like a taller far more mobile and athletic Perk.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 03:46:54 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
So since KD left:

Durant - Fit in seamlessly with a historically great team, dominated the playoffs, won a championship & Finals MVP, took a huge pay cut to help keep the team together

Westbrook
- Took a million shots as a one man show, won MVP, lost in the first round, got his GM to make desperation trades to get one year rentals of P.G. and Melo, then signed a $200 million extension; will likely never win a title but will likely make substantially more money over his career than KD.

Seems about right.

I'm happy for OKC fans though.  These days it feels more and more rare for one player to stay with a team long term and to have that security as a fan to know your team will have a consistent core identity.
why happy for okc fans? They're the enemy

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 03:47:06 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
So since KD left:

Westbrook

Seems about right.

Agree with most of it, but desperation trades? They gave up their two worst contracts (or 2 of 3 if you're not keen on Adams) and I believe 0 draft picks, and might not even be on the hook for any salary after this year while having Bird rights for two elite players.

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 03:48:07 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
So since KD left:

Westbrook

Seems about right.

OKC is small market.  For them to do this, is huge.  Both for the city and for the whole "large market v. small market" dynamic.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 03:59:09 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

Adams is so underrated.  Isn't that exactly the kind of player you want as your garbage man in the starting lineup?  He's like a taller far more mobile and athletic Perk.

I think the problem is the $22.5M he will make this season and then more for 3 seasons after that.

I think it will be a scary team actually.  Paul George as your #2 and Carmelo as you #3 scoring option?

Westbrook has obviously played with a star before (Durant) but it will be interesting to see how he adapts his game to play as the #1 option but with legitimate stars also on the court.  He was at his statistical best last season with less to work with.  He didn't seem to mesh with Durant well but this team will be different.  It is clearly his team (as opposed to when it was Durant's team in all reality) but now he needs to give some things up to George and Carmelo to let the team be better.

I am guessing this will be a very good team, assuming Westbrook figures out how to be the right kind of team leader.

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 03:59:38 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
So since KD left:

Westbrook

Seems about right.

Agree with most of it, but desperation trades? They gave up their two worst contracts (or 2 of 3 if you're not keen on Adams) and I believe 0 draft picks, and might not even be on the hook for any salary after this year while having Bird rights for two elite players.

Ding ding ding.

(They did give up the Chicago second rounder for next year's draft in the Melo deal, just for the record).

But classify those trades as "desperation moves" is pretty far-fetched.