Poll

Will NBA players engage in pregame protest

Yes
No

Author Topic: Silver: league rule is "players stand during anthem"  (Read 5573 times)

Re: Silver: league rule is "players stand during anthem"
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 11:04:19 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 272
When did kneeling become a sign of disrespect. Kaepernik (sp) was sitting through the anthem and he acceded to advise that kneeling was a more respectful act of protest. Since when did kneeling become a sign of disrespect?
not standing is against US code

US code? As in code of conduct or US law? I ask this question in all seriousness.
federal law. Its called the code of laws of the USA which is the official compilation and codification of the general and permanent federal statutes of the United States. It contains 52 titles (Titles 1-54, except Title 53 is reserved and Title 34 was repealed).

According to Title 36 (section 171) of the United States Code, “all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart.” There is no actual penalty for not standing or choosing to kneel, however.

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title36/subtitle1/partA/chapter3&edition=prelim

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 11:11:41 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 121
Just stop this nonsense already.

Stand up when the Anthem plays.

Do your protests elsewhere in your own time..on social media..on twitter .
The point of a protest is to make uncomfortable those who are comfortable,in the face of injustice and the like.

To marginalize protest so that it is invisible or not disturbing, silences it. What you ask for is not innocent. it helps to perpetuate that which is deemed as unjust and unfair.

This guy...

lol

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2017, 11:16:38 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 500
When did kneeling become a sign of disrespect. Kaepernik (sp) was sitting through the anthem and he acceded to advise that kneeling was a more respectful act of protest. Since when did kneeling become a sign of disrespect?

US code? As in code of conduct or US law? I ask this question in all seriousness.
federal law. Its called the code of laws of the USA which is the official compilation and codification of the general and permanent federal statutes of the United States. It contains 52 titles (Titles 1-54, except Title 53 is reserved and Title 34 was repealed).

According to Title 36 (section 171) of the United States Code, “all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart.” There is no actual penalty for not standing or choosing to kneel, however.

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title36/subtitle1/partA/chapter3&edition=prelim

Thank you. I did not know it was the law.

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2017, 11:36:34 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 2382
Mr. Silver is trying to get around the NFL controversy - I get that.

But I wonder how he feels about THIS Civil Rights Icon current feelings

Bill Russell took a knee just two days ago in support of NFL Players protesting.

The "President Trump" thread was unfortunately shut down last week or so due to a few posters going off the rails a bit. That saddened me. I wanted to post this pic THERE to stoke conversation, because we ALL know that MANY of us worship Bill Russell on here as a BOSTON CELTICS ICON....a bragging point to our Laker fans about championships won....

....but do we worship him as a Civil Rights Icon?

Is he "out of place" in supporting NFL players?

I believe he is NOT.

If Steph Curry was a Boston Celtics player how would we feel about Mr. Trump's recent comments about HIM and his TEAM visiting the White House?
Marcus Smart "Impacts Winning." Boston Celtics Coach Brad Stevens

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2017, 11:37:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: -27981
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

Yeah, that's not how protests work.

Sure it is. For 99% of us, if we protest at work we get fired.
Which is wrong. Simply because many are wrong does change those who are right.

Seriously? Our employers should pay us to protest?
They are paid to play basketball, not to stand for the anthem.

They are paid to represent the team and the league, as well.

And since standing for the anthem is a league rule they are, in fact, paid to stand for the anthem.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2017, 01:31:45 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1036

They are paid to play basketball, not to stand for the anthem. 

Their paid to do as their employer asks them to do (within the law).  If they don't like the terms they can choose not to play.  Nobody is forcing anyone to play basketball.  If you want to do it professionally, you have to follow the employers rules.

This is a simple concept that shouldn't be very difficult for anyone to understand.

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2017, 01:48:38 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1036
MANY of us worship Bill Russell on here as a BOSTON CELTICS ICON....

...but do we worship him as a Civil Rights Icon?

I don't worship any human being.  I'm sure you don't either.  But I get your point.

I do admire Russell for both his contributions to the Celtics and to humanity.  And I can understand why he supports the NFL players.

My point is I would much rather see the players who wish to protest do so outside of the arena.  I'd also like to see them do more than just protest.

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2017, 02:02:39 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 248
  • Sick of all the winning
We'd still be operating under a system of racial apartheid but for people willing to take the consequences of their political protest.

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2017, 02:04:46 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 168

I don't know how different it is across the pond but there are rules that govern protests/strikes here in the UK. The concept of them however is a civil right. The workers as a collective are the reason the company makes any money, so they have a right to expect fair treatment from an employer no? The company is also expected to stand up for fair treatment of its workers, ie non discrimination, diversity, inclusion etc. So it would be fair for an employee to lobby the company to act. Making a symbolic gesture such as taking the knee would be like this.

This may be an ignorant question, but is it disrespectful to take a knee during the anthem? You are in a 'holy' position, it's not like you are sticking your middle finger at the flag.

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2017, 02:10:57 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 2382
MANY of us worship Bill Russell on here as a BOSTON CELTICS ICON....

...but do we worship him as a Civil Rights Icon?

I don't worship any human being.  I'm sure you don't either.  But I get your point.

I do admire Russell for both his contributions to the Celtics and to humanity.  And I can understand why he supports the NFL players.

My point is I would much rather see the players who wish to protest do so outside of the arena.  I'd also like to see them do more than just protest.

But can we agree that the current protest HAVE INDEED sparked National Dialogue? More than just someone volunteering individually somewhere?

If you watched the CNN 1 hour special that was just on Wednesday night Mr. Anderson Cooper hosted a WONDERFUL dialogue from MULTIPLE viewpoints on the issue...I'd recommend that ANYONE and EVERYONE watch it.

He invited a White House rep but none attended, sadly.

But MANY VETERANS - from BOTH SIDES of the debate - attended AND spoke.....

At the end, Mr. Michael Benett and another NFL player that I cannot recall did INDEED speak of CURRENT outreach and volunteering work that is in fact being conducted...so it's NOT just protesting on sundays...

I leave everyone with THIS, for tonight - the fine gentleman (and former Green Beret) that got Colin Kapernick to the point of KNEELING (vice SITTING) for the National Anthem was none other than Mr. NATE BOYER...

I did not know this until last night.
Marcus Smart "Impacts Winning." Boston Celtics Coach Brad Stevens

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2017, 02:14:00 AM »

Offline blink

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 266

Thank you. I did not know it was the law.

A code that is pretty much never enforced, has no penalty for not following it.  It is a smig above a suggestion.

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2017, 02:37:33 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 407
The fact that we're talking about this shows that taking a knee was successful. Kap had a platform and he used it to send a powerful message. Protest is not a message of hate. I don't see taking the knee as disrespecting the flag or whatever. Actually, I've found that protests usually come from standing against hate (pun not intended).

IMO, real forms of disrespect are things like racism, profiling, murder, etc. The difference is, these things aren't televised in real time. Imagine if there was a Hunger Games-esque coverage of things...

- LilRip

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2017, 02:47:10 AM »

Offline greece666

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1034
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
The title of the thread makes it sound as if Silver used stronger language than he did.

The impression I got from reading the article is that he wants a compromise rather than a confrontation. I mean, what other option does the commissioner have anyway?

Another thing, I'm not sure whether thinking of the players as employees helps. They sure are in the strict legal sense, but we all understand they have way more leverage than most employees  would in a similar situation.

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2017, 02:54:23 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 272
The title of the thread makes it sound as if Silver used stronger language than he did.

The impression I got from reading the article is that he wants a compromise rather than a confrontation. I mean, what other option does the commissioner have anyway?

Another thing, I'm not sure whether thinking of the players as employees helps. They sure are in the strict legal sense, but we all understand they have way more leverage than most employees  would in a similar situation.
I thought about the strength of silvers tone and I personally  believe he will strongly prefer they stand to not damage the image of the league, and he may even punish/fine those who don't stand. The NFL allowed the kneeling and has had a big image hit and has had boycotts from fans cancelling tv packages and ticket sales. The NBA looks like does not want to face the same thing and will go at it differently. They are emphasizing their standing rule for a reason as a warning in my opinion. The nba viewership is lower compared to nfl and mlb and they don't want to go lower By going political

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2017, 03:02:15 AM »

Offline greece666

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1034
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
@celticselite

I dont follow NFL. If you mean imposing fines, sure this is likely - but it is in both sides interest to reach a compromise. This is what happened with Abdul-Rauf, first a fine then a compromise.