Poll

Will NBA players engage in pregame protest

Yes
No

Author Topic: Silver: league rule is "players stand during anthem"  (Read 5635 times)

Re: Silver: league rule is "players stand during anthem"
« Reply #195 on: October 02, 2017, 09:25:18 AM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1112
Kyrie will be standing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxvW_V7JmFo

As is his right.

My service in the U.S. Navy gave players like Kyrie the right to stand.

It also gave players like Colin the right to kneel.

Yup. And it's other folk's right to think it's a grandstanding, DB move. Personally, I don't care, the kneeling doesn't bother me, the fake narrative that police target black folks does bother me, and they're promoting those bad ideas.

Another thing. Nobody is saying for them to go to jail for their 1st amendment rights. If some idiot went on a racist tirade on Facebook she has the right to do it, doesn't mean she won't face repurcussions at work. Kneeling for the anthem is a slap in the face to many people out there and is bad for business.
I do wonder if Tom Brady and not Kap was the first person to kneel for basically the same type of issue, what the fan reaction would be.  I'm guessing not as many would oppose it.

Of course not.

Why? People would have been burning Brady's jersey it would have been a million times worse. Kap is a nobody compared to Brady

Think long & hard about it, JSD.  You're a smart guy.

For a "nobody", Kap sure elicited a helluva reaction.

I'm not that smart, but I know this. Brady turned the world upside down after he was accused of deflating footballs. Had he kneeled for the flag, and called cops pigs, and compared them to slave hunters etc. People would have lost their minds.

« Reply #196 on: October 02, 2017, 09:27:02 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • What a Pub Should Be
Kyrie will be standing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxvW_V7JmFo

As is his right.

My service in the U.S. Navy gave players like Kyrie the right to stand.

It also gave players like Colin the right to kneel.

Yup. And it's other folk's right to think it's a grandstanding, DB move. Personally, I don't care, the kneeling doesn't bother me, the fake narrative that police target black folks does bother me, and they're promoting those bad ideas.

Another thing. Nobody is saying for them to go to jail for their 1st amendment rights. If some idiot went on a racist tirade on Facebook she has the right to do it, doesn't mean she won't face repurcussions at work. Kneeling for the anthem is a slap in the face to many people out there and is bad for business.
I do wonder if Tom Brady and not Kap was the first person to kneel for basically the same type of issue, what the fan reaction would be.  I'm guessing not as many would oppose it.

Of course not.

Why? People would have been burning Brady's jersey it would have been a million times worse. Kap is a nobody compared to Brady

Think long & hard about it, JSD.  You're a smart guy.

For a "nobody", Kap sure elicited a helluva reaction.

I'm not that smart, but I know this. Brady turned the world upside down after he was accused of deflating footballs. Had he kneeled for the flag, and called cops pigs, and compared them to slave hunters etc. People would have lost their minds.

Moranis was talking about kneeling.  You're bringing the other stuff into it now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #197 on: October 02, 2017, 09:28:54 AM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders
Then hold the other stuff. People still would have went crazy

« Reply #198 on: October 02, 2017, 10:17:25 AM »

Online Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 805
Ok so Brady has baggage, but what if it was Peyton Manning or Brett Favre?
Ohio State 2014/15 National Champions.

« Reply #199 on: October 03, 2017, 04:29:52 AM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders

So Brady has baggage and those guys donít? Whatís your point, White privelege? I donít believe that. Any person that knelt for the anthem, regardless of race, was going to receive blowback. Tim Thomas got a ton of crap for not going to see Obama.

« Reply #200 on: October 03, 2017, 06:13:56 AM »

Online Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • JoJo White

So Brady has baggage and those guys donít? Whatís your point, White privelege? I donít believe that. Any person that knelt for the anthem, regardless of race, was going to receive blowback. Tim Thomas got a ton of crap for not going to see Obama.
Sure some, but if you honestly don't think race play a a part in it you are just putting your head in the sand

« Reply #201 on: October 03, 2017, 06:44:22 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 937
It was great to see the guys back on the floor last night and root for the Celtics.  Wasn't it?

Sports is best when sports are sports.  It is clear that the owner in the NFL underestimated public backlash but the NBA did not.

« Reply #202 on: October 03, 2017, 04:44:27 PM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders

Sure some, but if you honestly don't think race play a a part in it you are just putting your head in the sand

Good argument.

« Reply #203 on: October 14, 2017, 01:54:44 PM »

Online Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • JoJo White