Poll

Will NBA players engage in pregame protest

Yes
No

Author Topic: Silver: league rule is "players stand during anthem"  (Read 5574 times)

Re: Silver: league rule is "players stand during anthem"
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 09:40:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: -27981
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Just stop this nonsense already.

Stand up when the Anthem plays.

Do your protests elsewhere in your own time..on social media..on twitter .

Yeah, that's not how protests work.

Sure it is. For 99% of us, if we protest at work we get fired.

99% of us (at least) aren't public figures who generate millions of dollars of revenue for our employers.

So? They have no greater right to protest at work than the rest of us.

I suspect that Silver is addressing the rule now because he sees this is costing the NFL revenue.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 09:48:55 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2843

Which is wrong. Simply because many are wrong does change those who are right.

Seriously? Our employers should pay us to protest?

Yeah, there's a difference between silencing your workers' values and preferences and simply not allowing it during work hours.

I generally disagree with employers who punish, silence, or fire workers due to having values contrary to the company's values, especially when it doesn't even relate to the job (such as an "offensive" social media post that occurred outside of work hours). But it's completely reasonable for companies to disallow these types of things while people are on the actual job and representing the company at hand, such as when wearing a team jersey.
Quote from:  Ron Swanson
It's never too early to learn that the government is a greedy piglet that suckles on a taxpayer's teet until they have sore, chapped nipples.

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 09:48:55 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 319

99% of us (at least) aren't public figures who generate millions of dollars of revenue for our employers.

I suspect that Silver is addressing the rule now because he sees this is costing the NFL revenue.

I've seen teachers roll their eyes during the morning pledge.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 09:54:42 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75

I've seen teachers roll their eyes during the morning pledge.

They aren't paid by consumer consumption. The great thing about free speech is free market and we the consumers control it and rightfully so.

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 09:56:09 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 319

Totally agree, if you want to make an impact unify and boycott playing a game, take the cut in pay for missing the game and donate it to the cause you support...

Funny. I live in a authoritarian developing country - protesting at a sports game would be considered a sissy move. God Bless America.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 09:56:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 805

They are paid to play basketball, not to stand for the anthem. 
Ohio State 2014/15 National Champions.

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 10:01:07 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 500

Do they play the National Anthem at your job every morning? Look I do not support disrespecting the Anthem or the Flag, I stand for the Anthem at public events, and would frown at anyone that did not, but kneeling is not disrespect IMHO.

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 10:03:25 PM »

Online CelticD

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 98
  • Forever LIT
Disappointed but I guess I'm not surprised. This is the same organization that can't tolerate Allen Iverson wearing baggy clothes and jewelry but will accept whatever Russel Westbrook puts on and call it fashion.

I hope they kneel anyway just to show solidarity.

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 10:12:47 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Paul Silas
I actually like the NBA rule, but why does there have to be a rule. People should stand up for the flag out of respect for all it represents because once you start disrespecting the flag you lose respect for the country and the sense of patriotism that every country needs to progress.

Someone has to tell me though why kneeling during the anthem is disrespectful. Is it the act itself or the players expressed reason for kneeling. It cannot be the act itself. What if a person as so much reverence for the flag and anthem that he chooses to kneel rather than stand, would there still be outrage at that person. It therefore must be that the problem with kneeling is not the act itself but the intent. If the outrage is against the intent of the protester then we should have equal outrage with any acts done during the playing of the anthem that is intended for purposes other than solemn respect and celebration of our country.

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 10:33:13 PM »

Online CelticD

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 98
  • Forever LIT
I actually like the NBA rule, but why does there have to be a rule. People should stand up for the flag out of respect for all it represents because once you start disrespecting the flag you lose respect for the country and the sense of patriotism that every country needs to progress.

Someone has to tell me though why kneeling during the anthem is disrespectful. Is it the act itself or the players expressed reason for kneeling. It cannot be the act itself. What if a person as so much reverence for the flag and anthem that he chooses to kneel rather than stand, would there still be outrage at that person. It therefore must be that the problem with kneeling is not the act itself but the intent. If the outrage is against the intent of the protester then we should have equal outrage with any acts done during the playing of the anthem that is intended for purposes other than solemn respect and celebration of our country.

In my opinion the backlash is due to the nature of the protest. If Kaepernick said "I'm kneeling to raise awareness for breast cancer." he would've been signed and maxed out already.

Some people say there's nothing wrong with the message, it's just the way he goes about delivering it. Well the purpose of bringing AWARENESS to something is to make it as IN YOUR FACE and trendy as possible. Kap said he wanted to use his platform in order to do this which is what you're supposed to do when you're trying to make people AWARE of something.

Instead of being concerned about why Kap is kneeling, people are concerned with the action of kneeling itself. Like really?

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 10:33:29 PM »

Offline eja117

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1128
I hate this entire topic. The millionaire protesters that don't care when their teammates rape someone reached the nagging stage of this ""protest" a while ago.   And the faux outrage and ignorance of the Trumplodytes is rather sickening as well on this one.

The whole thing is getting entirely petty to me on both sides and very first world problemish. I lost interest in this a long long time ago. Or at least it seems a long time ago.

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 10:35:55 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 272
When did kneeling become a sign of disrespect. Kaepernik (sp) was sitting through the anthem and he acceded to advise that kneeling was a more respectful act of protest. Since when did kneeling become a sign of disrespect?
not standing is against US code

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 10:39:05 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 272

They are paid to play basketball, not to stand for the anthem.
they are there to play basketball for ownerships that want the flag respected, in arenas that many are funded by public taxpayer and municipal funds.

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 10:44:57 PM »

Offline liam

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 498

In my opinion the backlash is due to the nature of the protest. If Kaepernick said "I'm kneeling to raise awareness for breast cancer." he would've been signed and maxed out already.

Some people say there's nothing wrong with the message, it's just the way he goes about delivering it. Well the purpose of bringing AWARENESS to something is to make it as IN YOUR FACE and trendy as possible. Kap said he wanted to use his platform in order to do this which is what you're supposed to do when you're trying to make people AWARE of something.

Instead of being concerned about why Kap is kneeling, people are concerned with the action of kneeling itself. Like really?

Bingo! Very good point.

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2017, 10:49:00 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Paul Silas
When did kneeling become a sign of disrespect. Kaepernik (sp) was sitting through the anthem and he acceded to advise that kneeling was a more respectful act of protest. Since when did kneeling become a sign of disrespect?
not standing is against US code

US code? As in code of conduct or US law? I ask this question in all seriousness.