Author Topic: Draft night deal sending Melo, PG13 to cavs fell apart last minute  (Read 2909 times)

Re: According to Melo; “Me & PG were meant to be Cavs players”
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 07:06:58 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
so me and PG stayed connected throughout the course of the season
Does he mean the 2016 draft? or did he mean to say off-season?

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 07:34:12 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
So probably something like Irving, Love and fillers for PG13 and Melo....

I don't think that really makes them really that much better. I mean PG13 is an upgrade in some ways. Gives an other guy to guard KD, but Melo may be a worse defender than Love, but Love can rebound.

I bet they would have gone hard at Rondo after that. Wade would have had to come off the bench.

This is probably why Irving wanted the trade and was done with Lebron. This was in the works during the playoffs and Irving caught wind. And heres Lebron talking about giving the KID all his attention and the keys. Bull #$#$.
I don't think the Cavs were looking to trade Irving until he requested it.  If they knew earlier, they could have easily completed a trade around Irving for PG  I think they were looking to move Love for PG.  Irving, PG, Lebron would have been a strong contender. 

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 07:37:33 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
They 'll make fine Lakers too.  ;)

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2017, 07:56:49 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

I don't think that really makes them really that much better. I mean PG13 is an upgrade in some ways. Gives an other guy to guard KD, but Melo may be a worse defender than Love, but Love can rebound.

I bet they would have gone hard at Rondo after that. Wade would have had to come off the bench.

This is probably why Irving wanted the trade and was done with Lebron. This was in the works during the playoffs and Irving caught wind. And heres Lebron talking about giving the KID all his attention and the keys. Bull #$#$.
I don't think the Cavs were looking to trade Irving until he requested it.  If they knew earlier, they could have easily completed a trade around Irving for PG  I think they were looking to move Love for PG.  Irving, PG, Lebron would have been a strong contender.

So what do they move for melo in that scenario? They would have zero assets if Kyrie is off the table and Love had been traded. Granted Melo isn't worth much, but Kanter and Doggie Mcbuckets is realistically more than the Cavs would have hypothetically had in assets.
#JKJB

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 08:30:12 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
You couldn't have just posted in the thread that already exists on this.  The one that is 5 lines down in this forum (so was even higher when you posted this).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 08:54:46 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

There were several rumors that the Cavs were going after one of these guys at on point or an other, and Irving was part of that rumor. At the time is was speculation, but now it's sounding like it's true.

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2017, 09:19:28 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

There were several rumors that the Cavs were going after one of these guys at on point or an other, and Irving was part of that rumor. At the time is was speculation, but now it's sounding like it's true.
There is no way at all the Cavs were trading Irving and Love for George and Anthony.  The Cavs wouldn't even trade Irving for George straight up. 

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2017, 10:13:06 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

So what do they move for melo in that scenario? They would have zero assets if Kyrie is off the table and Love had been traded. Granted Melo isn't worth much, but Kanter and Doggie Mcbuckets is realistically more than the Cavs would have hypothetically had in assets.

Keep in mind that Phil Jackson was still GM. He was willing to trade Carmelo for much less.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2017, 11:23:17 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Keep in mind that Phil Jackson was still GM. He was willing to trade Carmelo for much less.
Yeah I imagine it wasn't much more than Shumpert and Frye, i.e. a pure salary dump.  maybe Felder and Tavares.  I also think it is might have been possible for the Knicks to move Noah for Smith (or something like that), which would have made some sense for the Cavs in that scenario since they are deep at wing, but would have had no back-up for Thompson.  But there is no way the Cavs were trading Irving.