Author Topic: Draft night deal sending Melo, PG13 to cavs fell apart last minute  (Read 2911 times)

Draft night deal sending Melo, PG13 to cavs fell apart last minute
« on: September 28, 2017, 02:36:38 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20848842/carmelo-anthony-talks-oklahoma-city-thunder-trade-nixed-houston-rockets-cleveland-cavaliers-swaps

"Actually, it was funny because me and PG was supposed to be in Cleveland on draft night," Anthony said. "We were communicating about that. The deal was actually done, and it got called off on draft night, so me and PG stayed connected throughout the course of the [offseason]. We never even talked about OKC, though."

Looks like lebron wanted both

Re: Draft night deal sending Melo, PG13 to cavs fell apart last minute
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 02:40:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Let's assume the deals went through, and the Cavs sent out Love, Frey, Shumpert and a pick,

Thompson
Carmelo
Lebron
George
Irving

Does Kyrie still demand a trade? Or does he wait a year?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 02:43:12 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Let's assume the deals went through, and the Cavs sent out Love, Frey, Shumpert and a pick,

Thompson
Carmelo
Lebron
George
Irving

I'd imagine kyrie was part of the deals. The knicks were one of his teams he wanted to go to

Either way he seemed dead set on leaving. More stars would have made it worse for him as he wants to be the alpha dog

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 02:46:11 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I really wonder what kind of trade this was going to be.  Love was part of the George rumor, so I imagine that he was included, but what the heck was the Anthony part (Thompson?).  There is no way the Cavs would have traded both Love and Irving and only got back George and Anthony. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
" The deal was actually done, and it got called off on draft night, so me and PG stayed connected throughout the course of the [offseason]. We never even talked about OKC, though."

Is he confessing to tampering? Why would he need to talk to pg about where he's going if he was under contract with the knicks

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 03:15:44 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
" The deal was actually done, and it got called off on draft night, so me and PG stayed connected throughout the course of the [offseason]. We never even talked about OKC, though."

Is he confessing to tampering? Why would he need to talk to pg about where he's going if he was under contract with the knicks

That's not what tampering is.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 03:30:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I really wonder what kind of trade this was going to be.  Love was part of the George rumor, so I imagine that he was included, but what the heck was the Anthony part (Thompson?).  There is no way the Cavs would have traded both Love and Irving and only got back George and Anthony.

I'm assuming it is the Indy deal we already heard about, which involved Denver. Then, they would have moved Shump and Frye for Carmelo.

Keep in mind that on draft night Phil Jackson was still calling the shots. His asking price for a mellow was almost nothing, which is why Carmelo thought there was a done deal both with Cleveland and Houston.

Kyrie wouldn't have been included in either deal.   If the hold up really was protection on a future Cavaliers pic, that seems like a tough line in the sand to draw.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 03:30:18 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

That's not what tampering is.
lol ok. I thought players couldn't collude behind the scenes but I thought wrong

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 03:42:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Thompson
Carmelo
Lebron
George
Irving

Yes because Lebron is still there. That's the whole impetus for the trade demand.

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 04:01:33 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Thompson
Carmelo
Lebron
George
Irving

Yes because Lebron is still there. That's the whole impetus for the trade demand.
I think so as well, but had the Cavs worked that trade out early enough they probably could have acquired Chris Paul (and something else) for Irving.  Now that would have been an interesting team (and after Wade ended up there the whole banana boat crew would have been together).  Paul, Wade, James, George, Anthony - talk about a killer small ball unit. 

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 04:30:19 PM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37

I'm assuming it is the Indy deal we already heard about, which involved Denver. Then, they would have moved Shump and Frye for Carmelo.

Keep in mind that on draft night Phil Jackson was still calling the shots. His asking price for a mellow was almost nothing, which is why Carmelo thought there was a done deal both with Cleveland and Houston.

Kyrie wouldn't have been included in either deal.   If the hold up really was protection on a future Cavaliers pic, that seems like a tough line in the sand to draw.

Am I the only one to read between the lines here..???

Kyrie totally appeared fine in Cleveland after losing to the Warriors!!
Then his agent tells him the Cavs are shipping him to bad teams in order to get PG and/or Carmelo
The acting GM Lebron made his choice and thought having his guys (PG / Carmelo / Wade) around him was better than a talented Kyrie who gave Cleveland their only Title!
Kyrie is p---ed (rightfully so) and ask for a trade.

Doesn't this make the most sense???
Would any media member be kind/smart enough to ask Kyrie what he fell like hearing his name in trade rumours at the time, instead of those stupid questions about Kyrie wanting to be the Man or having a personal issue with Lebron...!!

To me THIS is the reason Kyrie is wearing green!
Lebron was ok to ship him out for PG/Carmelo and he didn't appreciate it, rightfully so.

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 04:30:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
It wouldn't surprise me if Irving was part of the package to begin with, NOT Love.

Seemed like no one wanted Love's contract (lol) so they decided to throw Irving out there, and then Irving had enough and saw what was happening, and shortly after demanded the trade.

Deal probably got nixed though, because come on.. one team gets Irving, the other gets Shumpert, Frye, and likely a CLE 2nd rounder (or first rounder past 2020?). LOL.

To me, Oladipo + Sabonis is underwhelming return for George but better than Shumpert + Frye of CLE, and as dumb as Phil was, even he couldn't have been excited about that offer.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 04:32:42 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Am I the only one to read between the lines here..???

Kyrie totally appeared fine in Cleveland after losing to the Warriors!!
Then his agent tells him the Cavs are shipping him to bad teams in order to get PG and/or Carmelo
The acting GM Lebron made his choice and thought having his guys (PG / Carmelo / Wade) around him was better than a talented Kyrie who gave Cleveland their only Title!
Kyrie is p---ed (rightfully so) and ask for a trade.

Doesn't this make the most sense???
Would any media member be kind/smart enough to ask Kyrie what he fell like hearing his name in trade rumours at the time, instead of those stupid questions about Kyrie wanting to be the Man or having a personal issue with Lebron...!!

To me THIS is the reason Kyrie is wearing green!
Lebron was ok to ship him out for PG/Carmelo and he didn't appreciate it, rightfully so.
except all of the reports at the time were Indiana asked for Irving and the Cavs said no.  I don't think the Cavs were shopping Irving this summer, it was the prior summer when I think it was more likely (at least there were some rumors about James wanting to move Irving for Paul in the 16 summer, which many think was the trigger on the Irving/James fall out). 

According to Melo; “Me & PG were meant to be Cavs players”
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 11:37:21 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Apparently, he and Paul George -- who are now teammates in OKC -- were set to be teammates in Cleveland. "Me and PG was supposed to be in Cleveland on draft night," Melo said on the show. In the end, like the Rockets deal he mentioned, the trade also fell apart.

Via ESPN:
Carmelo Anthony said in a SiriusXM interview that there was a trade in place on the night of the NBA Draft that would have sent both he and Paul George to Cleveland: "Me and PG have a very close friendship. Actually, it was funny because me and PG was supposed to be in Cleveland on draft night. we were communicating about that. The deal was actually done and it got called off on draft night, so me and PG stayed connected throughout the course of the season."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/carmelo-anthony-says-he-and-paul-george-almost-got-traded-to-cavs-before-nba-draft/amp/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:42:38 PM by slightly biased bias fan »

Re: According to Melo; “Me & PG were meant to be Cavs players”
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 01:22:15 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
So probably something like Irving, Love and fillers for PG13 and Melo....

I don't think that really makes them really that much better. I mean PG13 is an upgrade in some ways. Gives an other guy to guard KD, but Melo may be a worse defender than Love, but Love can rebound.

I bet they would have gone hard at Rondo after that. Wade would have had to come off the bench.

This is probably why Irving wanted the trade and was done with Lebron. This was in the works during the playoffs and Irving caught wind. And heres Lebron talking about giving the KID all his attention and the keys. Bull #$#$.