Author Topic: Windhorst PR....I mean, article on Lebron  (Read 3041 times)

Windhorst PR....I mean, article on Lebron
« on: September 28, 2017, 09:07:58 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Windhorst PR....I mean, article on Lebron
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 09:11:49 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Sometimes, and this is one of them, I think he's actually paid by LeBron to write articles.

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 09:12:51 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sometimes, and this is one of them, I think he's actually paid by LeBron to write articles.

Yeah, this one seems ridiculous even by Windhorst standards.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 09:22:23 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
he must have used up an entire tube of chapstick for all the puckering up he did for Lebron's butt in that article.

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 10:13:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I actually think James will win the MVP this year if he gets to the 75 games played range.  I think you could have made a reasonable argument he deserved it last year (especially with just how bad the Cavs were when he wasn't in the game). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 10:22:49 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I actually like Windhorst. But yeah, he knows where his bread is buttered.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 10:31:12 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
I actually think James will win the MVP this year if he gets to the 75 games played range.  I think you could have made a reasonable argument he deserved it last year (especially with just how bad the Cavs were when he wasn't in the game).

I knew Moranis was just Windhorst's/Lebron's Celticsblog mouthpiece! You guys are in cahoots, huh?  ;)

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 10:38:54 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The Cavs should be good this year, but I don't really seem them going all out in the regular season. If they finish 3rd or 4th in the conference - not unlike the 2012-13 Cs - there is really no way he gets the MVP. Of course they are still favorites to make it to the ECF and likely the Finals, but the regular season with all of those aging veterans isn't likely going to be the place they make their statement.

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 12:03:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

You already made that argument last year. It was a really weak one. Leonard played worlds better defense than Lebron and was just as integral to their success. Lebron's team won 10 less games in a weaker conference and Lebron played with two fellow all-stars. This is to say nothing of how Harden led his team to a better record all-star and some of Westbrook's historic stats. Articles like this by Windhorst and super fans of Lebron always arguing how great he is or he was the best at everything make it so hard to enjoy what a great player Lebron is. We can see all the great things he does without having a personnel fan writer or super fans always making arguments.

I would actually find it so much more interesting to learn how Leonard has become such a dominant 2 way player. The spurs were a 35-40 win team last year without him. They have Aldridge, washed up Parker and Ginobli, Danny Green. I mean what Leonard is doing is absolutely incredible....Yet here we are...

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 12:10:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I don't see the Cavs winning enough games this season to keep LeBron in the race. I think the Cavs will be sub 50 win pace for a good chunk of the season (while Isaiah is injured) and will only finish above 50 wins if Isaiah comes back early enough and is in good shape.

LeBron might end up deserving to be MVP for his play on the court but I think he will punished for his team's poor performance.

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 12:27:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Funny thing about that article too is it probably has universal negative commentary on it on the article page. While it does still benefit ESPN to get the clicks/comments, there is also a lot of value associated with brand sentiment and people's feelings towards a brand. I wonder if that article is the one that finally makes them ease a bit on the Lebron puff pieces. 

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 01:08:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

You already made that argument last year. It was a really weak one. Leonard played worlds better defense than Lebron and was just as integral to their success. Lebron's team won 10 less games in a weaker conference and Lebron played with two fellow all-stars. This is to say nothing of how Harden led his team to a better record all-star and some of Westbrook's historic stats. Articles like this by Windhorst and super fans of Lebron always arguing how great he is or he was the best at everything make it so hard to enjoy what a great player Lebron is. We can see all the great things he does without having a personnel fan writer or super fans always making arguments.

I would actually find it so much more interesting to learn how Leonard has become such a dominant 2 way player. The spurs were a 35-40 win team last year without him. They have Aldridge, washed up Parker and Ginobli, Danny Green. I mean what Leonard is doing is absolutely incredible....Yet here we are...
Leonard is a great all around player, but his offensive load was nothing compared to the other 3 players in the discussion last year.  He was an efficient scorer, but his ppg were less than the other 3.  His assists were less than half the other 3.  His rebounding were 2.3 rpg less than Harden (who was the lowest of the other 3).  Leonard no question was the best defender of the group, but this is an offensive league and Leonard was by far the worst all around offensive player of that group.  The other three often were bringing the ball up the court and generally leading their offenses, that is not Leonard nor his role, which allowed him to focus more defensively. 

The Cavs were 17 points worse per 100 possession without James on the court (14.7 offensively and 2.3 defensively).  The Spurs were 11.6 points worse per 100 possessions without Leonard on the court (10.4 offensively and 1.4 defensively).  The Thunder were 12.5 points worse per possession without Westbrook on the court (10.5 offensively and 1.9 defensively).  The Rockets were only 3 points worse without Harden on the court per 100 possessions (6.7 offensively, but they were actually 3.7 points better defensively). 

So yes, Leonard was a better defender, but he was also on a team that played far better defense overall, as evident by both the Cavs and Thunder being worse than the Spurs defensively without their star.  The fact that the Rockets were actually not much different of a team with or without Harden is why he never should have been in the MVP discussion.  He was just so bad defensively and offensively really didn't make up for it (despite him having one of the greatest ppg and apg seasons in history). 

James had one of the 3 best seasons of his career last year.  Averaging a career high in both rebounds and assists and having his 3rd most efficient shooting season.  Couple that with just how awful the Cavs were without him on the floor, and he should have won the MVP as he was clearly the most valuable player in the league where it mattered most (i.e. the point differential with him on vs off the court).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 01:37:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Leonard is a great all around player, but his offensive load was nothing compared to the other 3 players in the discussion last year.  He was an efficient scorer, but his ppg were less than the other 3.  His assists were less than half the other 3.  His rebounding were 2.3 rpg less than Harden (who was the lowest of the other 3).  Leonard no question was the best defender of the group, but this is an offensive league and Leonard was by far the worst all around offensive player of that group.  The other three often were bringing the ball up the court and generally leading their offenses, that is not Leonard nor his role, which allowed him to focus more defensively. 

The Cavs were 17 points worse per 100 possession without James on the court (14.7 offensively and 2.3 defensively).  The Spurs were 11.6 points worse per 100 possessions without Leonard on the court (10.4 offensively and 1.4 defensively).  The Thunder were 12.5 points worse per possession without Westbrook on the court (10.5 offensively and 1.9 defensively).  The Rockets were only 3 points worse without Harden on the court per 100 possessions (6.7 offensively, but they were actually 3.7 points better defensively). 

So yes, Leonard was a better defender, but he was also on a team that played far better defense overall, as evident by both the Cavs and Thunder being worse than the Spurs defensively without their star.  The fact that the Rockets were actually not much different of a team with or without Harden is why he never should have been in the MVP discussion.  He was just so bad defensively and offensively really didn't make up for it (despite him having one of the greatest ppg and apg seasons in history). 

James had one of the 3 best seasons of his career last year.  Averaging a career high in both rebounds and assists and having his 3rd most efficient shooting season.  Couple that with just how awful the Cavs were without him on the floor, and he should have won the MVP as he was clearly the most valuable player in the league where it mattered most (i.e. the point differential with him on vs off the court).

Everyone knows how you feel at this point. Unfortunately for Lebron, he was not even a finalist in the eyes of those that voted for the award. I don't see it happening this year on a team where Rose, Love, Wade and eventually IT will all want to take shots. You would also hope for Lebron's sake that Lue will have a little sense and rest his 33 year old legs on occasion.

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 01:46:57 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

Everyone knows how you feel at this point. Unfortunately for Lebron, he was not even a finalist in the eyes of those that voted for the award. I don't see it happening this year on a team where Rose, Love, Wade and eventually IT will all want to take shots. You would also hope for Lebron's sake that Lue will have a little sense and rest his 33 year old legs on occasion.
lebron will have half a season without IT and if the cavs do well he will get bonus points for keeping the team afloat

i really don't like lebron but he seems way more likely to win it this year than last year if he stays healthy.

also he's going to be trying to rack up all the regular season stats he can in order to imrove upon his legacy
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 04:06:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Can't both be true?

Windhorst is essentially in Lebron's camp. At the same time, Lebron has a really good shot at MVP.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes