Author Topic: Watching Celtics on Verizon/Fios  (Read 2726 times)

Watching Celtics on Verizon/Fios
« on: September 26, 2017, 04:39:30 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Is anyone in the Boston area using Verizon Fios for Internet and TV? Are they currently carrying CSN HD in New England? Fios should reach my neighborhood later this fall and there should be some great intro deals available.

I called Comcast today and getting a package with CSN (while retaining HBO) would mean an increase of $47+/month, which seems crazy to me. It would add NBATv, ESPN, and TNT, none of which I have right now. I could do what I have done at times in the past -- League Pass + VPN -- which is much cheaper, but leaves me without ESPN and NBATV games. TNT games most of the time are free online regardless. I also prefer to not break terms of service for the simple reason that my policy is usually to pay what I need to pay or forego the ability to watch content.

Another option is ditching HBO for a few months and grabbing it again when GoT returns. I watch most drama and comedy series on HBO, but I can just binge watch during the 2 months when G0T returns. That would mean paying just $32/month for Celtics. I suppose I would also get value from ScyFy and FX, though I am generally fine waiting for such content to appear on Netflix.

Comcast was brilliant to create all those regional sports networks and to buy up rights to broadcast local teams. The first Comcast tier with CSN is 2 above my current tier.

Re: Watching Celtics on Verizon/Fios
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 04:46:07 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I live in braintree with verizon fios and yes they have CSNNE, and I pay something like 120 a month (locked in for 2 years for deal)

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 05:09:46 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I live in braintree with verizon fios and yes they have CSNNE, and I pay something like 120 a month (locked in for 2 years for deal)
Does it broadcast in HD? I've seen stuff online about issues with getting CSN in HD on Fios, though a response by a customer service rep to someone with an issue stated there should be HD.

I might do the Comcast in the interim until Fios arrives. I can see them installing a quarter mile away.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 05:10:36 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Does it broadcast in HD? I've seen stuff online about issues with getting CSN in HD on Fios, though a response by a customer service rep to someone with an issue stated there should be HD.

I might do the Comcast in the interim until Fios arrives. I can see them installing a quarter mile away.

I had no problems with it on HD

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 06:26:45 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Had Verizon FIOS in Pittsburgh. Absolutely loved the service outside of the price. Was paying $155 for 50/50 MBPS internet and then tv with the lowest package with NBATV included, which was still pricey. League Pass was good through it, too, though you didn't always get the home feed in the channels.

Right now I have DirectTV/AT&T, and I'm paying $58 a month for pretty much the same service as I had with FIOS. Just bought League Pass last night, and DirectTV is offering NBATV with it this year, too, which is awesome.

While I still would prefer the fiber optic over the satellite due to losing service in the rain at times, it's hard to beat the price I'm paying now with DirectTV/AT&T. So I'd look into them if they're in your area.