Author Topic: Stuff that Kyrie says  (Read 2144 times)

Stuff that Kyrie says
« on: September 26, 2017, 01:35:40 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Just curious to get people's opinions, (and maybe this thread could be a respository for memorable comments) about what they think about things that Kyrie says, or at least tries to say. Feel free to speculate on his "true" meaning, if he says things which are simply too obscure or incoherent.

Me personally, I am already taking a weird pleasure out of watching him try (and probably fail) to cleverly deal with these nasty LeBron questions. There are also times where his speech is kind of Shakespearean (or Carrollian) or something (replying to the question of how his experience getting to know LeBron has helped him fit into his new situation): "Well it definitely attributes to figuring out how patient you are at that moment, and how much you have to be, with being, like I talked about that newness of learning that individual or that environment".

That is quite lovely, but virtually meaningless. Mind you a lot of literature went over my head as a kid. I once tried to read Ulysees. It took me 6 months. I have no idea to this day what happened, or what anything meant, but I think I enjoyed it. Welcome to Boston Kyrie. I look forward to everything.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: Stuff that Kyrie says
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 01:37:37 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
Or is it Samuel Beckett? Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. he might be a perfect mixture of the all the 20th century's great authors.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 01:46:26 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Great communicators know how to say the most in the simplest terms.

Kyrie is well spoken, but he speaks a lot, but says very little.  I don't think it's a bad thing necessarily, just eccentric.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 01:46:43 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
He was downright understandable yesterday. None of the weird tangents or word salad. I was both pleasantly surprised and a little disappointed. I was looking forward to more things like "I don't have an ego, I have a presence and aura about me that's very reality-based", playing Kyrie Bingo, etc.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 02:00:43 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
He was downright understandable yesterday. None of the weird tangents or word salad. I was both pleasantly surprised and a little disappointed. I was looking forward to more things like "I don't have an ego, I have a presence and aura about me that's very reality-based", playing Kyrie Bingo, etc.

Aura is a cool concept. Here is my translation of that whole thing by the way:

"I believe that my perceptions of the world are accurate, I believe I am one of the best players in the league, but I hesitate to say that because it sounds inherently egotistical, but nevertheless I believe have my feet on the ground, and furthermore I consider my behavior and demeanor to be precisely and appropriately tailored to in all situations I have hitherto been involved in, and I haven't made any clear missteps as yet, so I make my  assumption based on evidence acquired to date which substantiates my claims "

Man, translatin' Kyrie 2017 could be the thread of the year. If I do say so myself.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 02:06:31 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Kyrie is well spoken, but he speaks a lot, but says very little.  I don't think it's a bad thing necessarily, just eccentric.

I think you could easily say the same of a KG.  People like that often say the most interesting things.

I think Kyrie is smart and just has a "weird" way about him.  I don't say that in a bad way and I like people like that.  He reminds me of KG or Kobe in ways, without being a jerk.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 02:10:28 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I will also say I think Kyrie reads like a guy who has grown up in a strange situation and he has dealt with it and it has shaped him.  I think he is one of those guys that is very conscious about his relationship with the media and how they treat him.

You can find a video on Youtube of someone from the Cavs media asking him how LeBron is as a father figure.  He did directly deal with that one but otherwise I feel like he is always kind of choosing how much to put out there and that kind of thing.

For me, I know I would probably be the exact same way dealing with the media.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 02:22:30 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I think you could easily say the same of a KG.  People like that often say the most interesting things.

I think Kyrie is smart
and just has a "weird" way about him.  I don't say that in a bad way and I like people like that.  He reminds me of KG or Kobe in ways, without being a jerk.
has he  denied that 'flat earth' comment?  if not, I find it difficult to buy into the notion he's all that smart. 

that one still blows my mind.

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 02:31:08 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

God, how true this is, even more so in writing. I can't tell you how many students I have had that utilize complex, "fancy" words with long, drawn out sentences trying to sound "smart." I repeatedly tell students that the best writers don't make simple concepts sound difficult; the best writers make difficult concepts sound simple.

Anyways, regarding Kyrie I actually don't think he's eloquent; in fact, I think he's a rather poor communicator. He seems like he's a somewhat intelligent guy, but that doesn't always equate to being well-spoken and eloquent.

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 03:57:46 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

God, how true this is, even more so in writing. I can't tell you how many students I have had that utilize complex, "fancy" words with long, drawn out sentences trying to sound "smart." I repeatedly tell students that the best writers don't make simple concepts sound difficult; the best writers make difficult concepts sound simple.

Anyways, regarding Kyrie I actually don't think he's eloquent; in fact, I think he's a rather poor communicator. He seems like he's a somewhat intelligent guy, but that doesn't always equate to being well-spoken and eloquent.
Exactly this, yes.

I think he's a smart guy but one who tries too hard to sound "professional" when he's in front of the camera and he winds up either rambling or just being incoherent. When he's relaxed and just talking with someone he's much better.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 09:38:11 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo

TP. He's probably actually more a creative genius (than an "IQ guy"). It explains his affection for conspiracy theories.

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 09:42:06 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I say enjoy his quips and uniqueness much like rondo's press conferences.  Different but its always nice to have a wild card interview.  Think how much McHale would bring to a press conference or for that matter just a question in the locker room.

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 12:07:28 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

TP. He's probably actually more a creative genius (than an "IQ guy"). It explains his affection for conspiracy theories.
Creative genius?  Maybe at creating off the dribble.  That's about it.

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 03:20:29 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Kyrie seems well-read person. Nice.

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 04:08:01 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Perfect fit for the student fans in Boston creative,abstract, sometimes playing connect the dots anything but paint by numbers guy.Perfect for the young breed of players that ainge brings in.
Semmi,Yabusele,Tatum and Brown.
.Like Isaiah a camera friendly guy, who loves playing basketball even with a few Turner-esque quotes
Hayward looks like he found basketball heaven.
Marcus is liking himself in the mirror after being pillared and shackled by that weight
It truly is an exciting time as a fan to watch all these parts somehow be fused together by Brad and Ainge.