Author Topic: Woj: Dwayne Wade To Sign With Cleveland On Wednesday  (Read 11734 times)

Re: Woj: Dwayne Wade To Sign With Cleveland On Wednesday
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 01:21:06 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Does Wade even move the needle for Cleveland? At this point in his career, I don't think so.

Yes.  He's a lot better than you think he is, still at this point.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 01:30:26 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Where does that idiom - "move the needle" come from?  I feel like it must've generalized from a highly unrelated phenomenon. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 01:36:36 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Where does that idiom - "move the needle" come from?  I feel like it must've generalized from a highly unrelated phenomenon.

I believe it's an obscure reference dating from the analog era.

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 01:37:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Does Wade even move the needle for Cleveland? At this point in his career, I don't think so.

He is going to be 36. They should not start him but probably will.

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 01:56:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What's the Cavs' best lineup?

I would say

Thomas - J.R. - Crowder - Bron - Love/TT (matchup-dependent)

Bench:

Rose, Wade, Korver, Jefferson

Start:

IT, Crowder, Bron, Love, Thompson

A lineup I'd be curious to see:

IT - Wade - J.R. - Crowder - Bron
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 01:58:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I always interpret it as a reference to a needle-gauge measuring some kind of pressure or other metric.  (think of the RPM or MPH reading on your car, unless your car has a digital read-out)

For example, imagine you're walking through a previously irradiated area.  Does the level of ambient radiation move the needle on your Geiger counter?

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 02:00:08 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Washed up

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 02:08:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
What's the Cavs' best lineup?

I would say

Thomas - J.R. - Crowder - Bron - Love/TT (matchup-dependent)

Bench:

Rose, Wade, Korver, Jefferson

Start:

IT, Crowder, Bron, Love, Thompson

A lineup I'd be curious to see:

IT - Wade - J.R. - Crowder - Bron
I think Wade is in their "best" lineup (in place of Smith).  I think Wade starts at SG (with Crowder on the bench).  The Cavs are a pretty deep team so I expect them to have a lot of rest and a lot of very strange lineups throughout the season and as such expect them to have a mid-tier record (still top 4, but might even be 4 - which would be awful if Boston is 1).  However, if they go into the playoffs healthy, they are still easily the team to beat in the East. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2017, 02:13:02 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

He is going to be 36. They should not start him but probably will.

I think he will be big for them especially early in the year, moving the ball and being a playmaker next to LeBron.

I do think he should start personally.  The Cavs have a deep team like Moranis says and I think they will use that to their advantage.  They don't mind having a better bench and guys to come in like Crowder, who they can even play at the 4.

Crowder might mind tho lol.  I like him but I am glad to be rid of that.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 02:25:47 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I know he is a still good player, but I don't think his body will allow him to bring it every game. I can easily see him missing 15-20 games this season, so that may have a negative effect on the flow of the offense throughout the year. One other draw back that I see is Wade still seeing himself as a superstar player on par with LeBron. Will he take shots away from more capable players, just so he can justify his star status on the team?

This was Wade's scoring production against the Celtics during their first round match up last season:
Game 1 - 11
Game 2 - 22
Game 3 - 18
Game 4 - 11
Game 5 - 26
Game 6 - 2

He had a monster game 5, but was gassed in game 6, and was inconsistent throughout the series.

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 02:45:21 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Kyrie had better be careful on opening night. The hit is in.

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2017, 03:11:19 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Wade will have an "injury" off and on all season so he can be ready and rested for the playoffs
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 03:12:24 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
So is this it? The cavs are officially the "old Celtics big 3" that are past their prime and trying to battle the "young up and coming lebron cavs/heat teams.." 

We've officially switched roles. De ja vu

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 03:15:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I know he is a still good player, but I don't think his body will allow him to bring it every game. I can easily see him missing 15-20 games this season, so that may have a negative effect on the flow of the offense throughout the year. One other draw back that I see is Wade still seeing himself as a superstar player on par with LeBron. Will he take shots away from more capable players, just so he can justify his star status on the team?

This was Wade's scoring production against the Celtics during their first round match up last season:
Game 1 - 11
Game 2 - 22
Game 3 - 18
Game 4 - 11
Game 5 - 26
Game 6 - 2

He had a monster game 5, but was gassed in game 6, and was inconsistent throughout the series.
It was more a question of getting to the line.  Wade's shots were 12, 16, 18, 12, 18, 10.  Game 2 he shot very well and game 6 he shot very poorly, but otherwise wasn't much different (overall poor).  In game 3 he got 6 FT's and game 5 he got 10, he wasn't above 2 FT's in any other game.  That says it is more about aggression than anything else. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2017, 03:29:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Game 1 - 11
Game 2 - 22
Game 3 - 18
Game 4 - 11
Game 5 - 26
Game 6 - 2

It was more a question of getting to the line.  Wade's shots were 12, 16, 18, 12, 18, 10.  Game 2 he shot very well and game 6 he shot very poorly, but otherwise wasn't much different (overall poor).  In game 3 he got 6 FT's and game 5 he got 10, he wasn't above 2 FT's in any other game.  That says it is more about aggression than anything else.

He is very old. He will be 36 halfway through the season.

To put this in perspective, Pierce, a player that probably relied on less athleticism throughout the year was 36 in his season in Brooklyn. That year his scoring per game plummeted from 18 to 13, his assists were cut in half and his minutes also declined and played 5 less minutes a game. His shooting stayed pretty consistent but he was clearly no longer the same player. The next season he fossilized further on Washington. It certainly would not be surprising to see Wade fall off a cliff here, especially as a guy that has had a lot of nagging injuries throughout this career. When these guys fall to age a lot of times it is very swift.