Author Topic: theis high scorer germany v france  (Read 6063 times)

Re: theis high scorer germany v france
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2017, 09:16:48 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Yeah, I can certainly see a couple of aspects of his game here and there that I could see as potential perks for Boston. 

The outside shot is nice, and he looks to be a solid rebounder and rim protector which we certainly could use.  I'm just weary of expecting him to give us much more than 10-15 MPG as a backup PF.

I do think that he's a nice compliment to Baynes off the bench though - with Baynes being bigger, slower and more interior focussed, Theis is a bit smaller, more agile, and has a more effective perimeter game and more likely to be able to switch on to wings and defend the P&R.

I'm also pleasantly surprised by Shanke Larkin.  I never really checked out his stats, just assumed he was a D-League scrub.  But he actually put up some pretty decent numbers in his last year at Brooklyn (7.3 PTS, 4.2 AST, 1.2 STL in 20 MPG) and shot decent too (44%, 36% 3PT, 78% FT) - that's pretty solid production for a backup PG, which is nice considering he will likely be a third string backup for us behind Kyrie and Rozier (I assume Smart will start at SG). 

I was initially very concerned about out bench depth, but the more I look at it, the more excited I'm actually starting to get.  If we start Smart at SG and Morris at PF, then that gives us a second unit of Rozier, Brown, Tatum, Theis and Baynes - that's actually a pretty nice lineup that gives a nice balance between offense, defence, size and athleticism. 

Then we basically have a 3d unit of Larkin, Nader, Ojeleye and Yabusele as pretty much 3rd string backups - that's actually a pretty deep bench.  Not a very PROVEN bench, but deep none the less.

See, not EVERYTHING I say is negative lol

Larkin's big change that may give him a chance to 'stick' in the NBA this time -- which showed up this last season in Europe -- is improved ability to draw fouls and get to the FT line.  Even in college, his FTA rates were 'meh'.  Just 2-3 FTA per 40 at all levels. Last year in EuroLeague and ACB play he jumped his FTA rates by essentially double, to 5.4-5.6 per 40.  That transformed him into a much, much more complete offensive PG and got him a big contract offer to stay there.   If he can transfer that skill to the NBA, then he might be able to stick in the NBA.

He's got a tough road though.  He's actually smaller than IT4.  Taller to the top of the head, but weighs far less and has a shorter wingspan.  And he's not the athlete or shooter that IT is.  And he's deep in our positional depth, behind Kyrie, Marcus & Terry.

He's possibly a better offensive PG than either of Marcus or Terry, though.   But he (a) may not get to show it and (b) it may not be enough to overcome his defensive limitations.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2017, 11:21:11 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
It must be a state secret his wingspan

I know, right? But it looks nice and long.

He could be like a jerebko

I don't love the comparison. It looks like Theis can guard bigs and do some rim-protection with his length. Really good body that he's put in a lot of work on - some stiffness in the shoulders but extends pretty well, and has a lot of spring; good left/right balance. Apparently he's been playing at 242 or so - so maybe he can guard bigs.

Jerebko gets into guys and plays fearless and physical but he's a classic tweener - too slow for wings and too small for bigs. Love the guy, and he stayed ready and stepped up when called upon, a true Celtic. He saved his finest moments for the playoffs.

My dark horse is semi -he went trained at hoop house with tatum -watch the video

Yes, I saw that video. That, and in fact everything I've seen about him has reinforced my opinion - he's got star power and a complete game, tailor-made for today's NBA.

These are dedicated rookies-semi,tatum,yabusele
theis has defense and can shoot but the competition is severe this year no more james youngs and rj hunters

12-man rotation?! That's probably not an option...

A couple of players who are deserving of floor time will be DNP-CD'd a lot in the early going. But it's a long season, and the opportunities will open up.

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2017, 10:00:14 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Theis might walk onto our team more NBA ready than some of the young blood. He seems to have good toughness and concentration. Probably not going to be pulling boards off the rim ten feet out of his zone but it seems like he's got solid positioning. Could be a solid option to both stick next to Horford and back him up.

Solid signing and should be really valuable come the stretch around game 50.
you called it

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2017, 10:31:50 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Theis might walk onto our team more NBA ready than some of the young blood. He seems to have good toughness and concentration. Probably not going to be pulling boards off the rim ten feet out of his zone but it seems like he's got solid positioning. Could be a solid option to both stick next to Horford and back him up.

Solid signing and should be really valuable come the stretch around game 50.
you called it

Lets give it 3 or 4 games and see if he can keep it up with consistency - but he sure looked nice today. 

If he can produce like this (or even at 80% of this level) on a nightly basis then I will be very pleased.