Author Topic: Irving shooting 44.5% from deep, Spot ups since 2014  (Read 3074 times)

Irving shooting 44.5% from deep, Spot ups since 2014
« on: September 26, 2017, 02:03:04 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

That's the stat. 44.5% from 3 point range, in spot up shots since 2014. Expect Irving three Point attempts to rise from 5 per game to 8 or even 9 attempts per game.

Re: Irving shooting 44.5% from deep, Spot ups since 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 02:16:08 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
 That's a ray allen type of number

This is gonna be a fun season.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 06:09:06 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Hopefully Hayward can get him as many open looks as Lebron.

Is there an analytic that measures that? Not just for individuals, but for teams? I'm curious which benefits players more, Brad's system or the presence of Lebron.

I do think Kyrie will take more threes this year. I was surprised that his 3PT rate was relatively low, despite the number of shots he took overall.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 06:18:27 AM »

Offline MasterEmile

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 46
Wow didn't know he was THAT good of a shooter.
This guy can have a "2015 Steph Curry" kind of breakout season if he can put everything together.

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 06:50:25 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
It's numbers like this that give me hope for our team going forward. If our players buy into a space and pace system, our pieces fit very well together. At point guard we continue to have a scoring savant. Shooting guard will either be a 6'3 junkhouse dog who leaves it all on the floor or a 6'7 athletic freak who looked better than advertised at spacing the floor. Small forward we have an offensive do it all forward who is a very good shooter. At center we have a great passing center who can stretch the floor for 1 through 3. Our power forward is what worries me, but we have alot of youth who should be able to split those minutes.

I think it may prove difficult to get Irving to stop thinking of basketball as taking turns isoing with baby Bron Bron (his iso with all due respect involves creating for others.)
#JKJB

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 07:56:12 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
It's numbers like this that give me hope for our team going forward. If our players buy into a space and pace system, our pieces fit very well together. At point guard we continue to have a scoring savant. Shooting guard will either be a 6'3 junkhouse dog who leaves it all on the floor or a 6'7 athletic freak who looked better than advertised at spacing the floor. Small forward we have an offensive do it all forward who is a very good shooter. At center we have a great passing center who can stretch the floor for 1 through 3. Our power forward is what worries me, but we have alot of youth who should be able to split those minutes.

I think it may prove difficult to get Irving to stop thinking of basketball as taking turns isoing with baby Bron Bron (his iso with all due respect involves creating for others.)

Marcus Morris averaged 14 pts over the last two seasons while playing 79 and 80 games at about 32.5 min per.  He shot 36% and 33% from the 3.  He should be an improvement over Amir Johnson and Olynyk.  If he is our biggest worry, we should be fine.  Shooting guard actually worries me a little bit too.

As for Irving, I actually don't think he will see more shots than last season, although he could end up with a higher percentage of 3pt attempts.  He had nearly 20 attempts per game last season, about the same as IT.  The defense will focus more on him and he will have better scoring options around him than IT did last season.  Ball needs to move.  We need to have fewer possessions that come down to Irving making a play than last season where IT had to make a play.  That is still going to be how some possessions end up and it is nice to have a scorer like Kyrie for those instances but the less we rely on that the better.

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 08:14:27 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
This guy can have a "2015 Steph Curry" kind of breakout season if he can put everything together.

He was really good. Top 15% efficiency on spot ups.

http://stats.nba.com/players/spot-up/?sort=aFG&dir=1&CF=GP*GE*60:PossG*G*1.5&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

He's not Steph, though. The thing about Curry is that he can hit a three at any time, from basically any area behind the line. Kyrie isn't that type of shooter. Nobody is that type of shooter, outsid of Curry.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 08:17:52 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
He is a really good shooter who hasn't even shot much.  He should be shooting like 3 times as many three pointers for the Celtics as he did in Cleveland.  Things will be different for sure.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 08:28:26 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
He is a really good shooter who hasn't even shot much.  He should be shooting like 3 times as many three pointers for the Celtics as he did in Cleveland.  Things will be different for sure.

18 three point attempts per game would be a lot. ;)

But yeah, I could see him going up to around IT's 8.5 three point attempts per game.  He was already 20th in the NBA in three point attempts per game, but I could see him easily getting into the top-10 in attempts.

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 09:41:15 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

18 three point attempts per game would be a lot. ;)

But yeah, I could see him going up to around IT's 8.5 three point attempts per game.  He was already 20th in the NBA in three point attempts per game, but I could see him easily getting into the top-10 in attempts.

lol I thought his attempts in Cleveland were at 3 a game but I was mistaken.  I am expecting about 9, so yes.  There will be a lot in transition and good open shots in the Celtics system for him.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 10:11:19 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904

Is there an analytic that measures that? Not just for individuals, but for teams? I'm curious which benefits players more, Brad's system or the presence of Lebron.

I do think Kyrie will take more threes this year. I was surprised that his 3PT rate was relatively low, despite the number of shots he took overall.

Yeah, same here. In addition to better ball movement and more overall spacing, something that Coach Nick picked up on was the fact that the Cavs didn't use that high PnR handoff for Kyrie nearly as much as Boston did for IT.

If you think about it, a ton of IT's threes were right off of that action, along with just the high PnR in general. I think that's an area that Kyrie will really excel in this year, especially with the versatility presented by both Horford and Morris being able to either roll or pop as the screening big.

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 11:01:55 AM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
If Kyrie takes nearly 9 treys a game and gets his 3P% above 40%, he's going to have a great year.

I'd love to see a 50/40/90 year from him. If he's not forcing the action, we are going to be a dangerous, if not elite, team.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 11:16:37 AM »

Offline MasterEmile

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 46

He was really good. Top 15% efficiency on spot ups.

http://stats.nba.com/players/spot-up/?sort=aFG&dir=1&CF=GP*GE*60:PossG*G*1.5&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

He's not Steph, though. The thing about Curry is that he can hit a three at any time, from basically any area behind the line. Kyrie isn't that type of shooter. Nobody is that type of shooter, outsid of Curry.

I agree.
What I meant was that he could have the same type of breakout season.
A change of the coaching staff and the culture of the team could help kyrie turn from a big star in the NBA to an mvp caliber player...

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 12:42:12 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616

Yeah, same here. In addition to better ball movement and more overall spacing, something that Coach Nick picked up on was the fact that the Cavs didn't use that high PnR handoff for Kyrie nearly as much as Boston did for IT.

If you think about it, a ton of IT's threes were right off of that action, along with just the high PnR in general. I think that's an area that Kyrie will really excel in this year, especially with the versatility presented by both Horford and Morris being able to either roll or pop as the screening big.

TP. I guess you go under the screen, or let the ball handler put you in jail if LeBron is the screener - living with a LeBron 3. With Thompson, the pop is no threat at all really. Horford, Hayward, yeah, even Morris goodness.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 01:06:56 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Threes plus a lot of fouls drawn right off that handoff. I don't think Kyrie's as good at drawing contact there, and allegedly the rule changes will cut down on those calls, but we have by design a lot of screeners who can leave the D with no good options for that action.

...is it the 17th yet?