Poll

Should Celtics Take A knee opening night?

Yes
17 (51.5%)
No
16 (48.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closes: October 25, 2017, 09:16:01 AM

Author Topic: Not to get Political...Just asking...Should Celtics Take a knee  (Read 1397 times)

Re: Not to get Political...Just asking...Should Celtics Take a knee
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2017, 12:27:19 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: -28003
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Owners won't fire these players.  They have a bottom line.  They also know that blow back on that would be much worse than the blow back they're currently getting from those up in arms about the protests (#IStand & the such). 

The league is ridiculously concerned with its public perception. Firing a bunch of players (and predominantly African-American players at that) for these protests would create an absolute crapstorm for the league and its business partners.

That's what it comes down to: which decision will cost them the least revenue.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2017, 12:29:46 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 330

It may create resentment for you, but not for many others.  It's obviously done an excellent job of creating awareness of the racist tendencies of our President and his core supporters.

Exactly what racist tendancies are you speaking of.  And please be specific.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/18/opinion/why-trump-doubled-down-on-the-central-park-five.html
DNA evidence exonerated these black and Hispanic kids 14 years after they were convicted and trump called for their execution.
After acquittal Trump still thinks they should fry.
Would he demand these innocent kids blood if they were tiki toarch wielding white nationalists?

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2017, 12:31:06 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
  If you actually want to be taken seriously try not to offend the people you are pleading to. The very first step in attempting to presuade someone of your ideals is to ensure you actually care what they think and how they feel.  Otherwise you are simply massaging your own ego.

Very well said!  It's simply too easy for athletes to "protest" during work.  Personally I don't take any of them seriously until they use their resources towards discussing the issues in a constructive manner.  I highly doubt that most of them are changing anything in their day to day life once the game is over.   

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2017, 12:33:25 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 46

It may create resentment for you, but not for many others.  It's obviously done an excellent job of creating awareness of the racist tendencies of our President and his core supporters.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/18/opinion/why-trump-doubled-down-on-the-central-park-five.html
DNA evidence exonerated these black and Hispanic kids 14 years after they were convicted and trump called for their execution.
Would he demand these innocent kids blood if they were tiki toarch wielding white nationalists?

I'm not familiar with the details you speak of but the racist part is an assumption on your part. Perhaps he would have had the same opinion.  A racist comment goes more like this Hillary  "Black people are super preditors and the hispanic vote is the Taco vote.  That is what a racist comment looks like.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2017, 12:35:49 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 143
The kneel resonates with America in a way that other forms of protest do not. Some see it as disrespectful to the flag, to America. I see it as appropriate for a black man-- and his white teammates, in solidarity-- to protest not only our racist president but also the racist country that put him there.

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2017, 12:37:02 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1072
I support what ever the team chooses to do, and I'll follow suit at the games myself.

Trump's recent comments towards Kaepernick, Curry, LeBron and all professional athletes are disgusting. I was happy to see so many take NFL players take a knee last Sunday and enact their right to peacefully protest him and his comments. The president should not be commentating on sports events when Puerto Rico is running out of supplies and without power, we are on the brink of war with NK, and the Republicans are trying to railroad a dangerous healthcare reform. There needs to be priorities with the Commander-in-chief. Twitter fights should not be one of them.

LeBron is a useful idiot, like many of the athletes that think they are some kind of hero because they go with the  latest trendy SJW cause.

He was campaigning with Hillary for Christ sake.

Guess he missed Hillary calling blacks super predators....

Most of these athletes have no idea what they are talking about, just doing it to win SJW brownie points.

In typical Trump-fashion, you've completely ignored everything I've said and changed the topic to Hilary. Are you hung up on something? Like how she won the popular vote  ::)

Also, I went back and found this article for you. I lurk here a lot and have read a lot of your responses. I think you need something like this, it's going to make you uncomfortable, it's your privilege to ignore me and not read it, but I hope you'll take a moment and check it out. It could explain a lot on the "other side" for you. Maybe you won't be so grouchy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-halstead/dear-fellow-white-people-_b_11109842.html?ncid=engmodushpmg00000003

To get this back on topic, these athletes were protesting racial injustice and police brutality. I feel as if they are now protesting the president and his attempt to silence them. I hope it continues and the movement builds. I hope the NFL, NBA, MLB continue to support their athletes and their message. I can tell you right now they won't be fired. They make these organizations millions upon millions of dollars each year. These organizations are built on the backs of these athletes. Without them, there is no "entertainment" for you to enjoy. Rather than being uncomfortable and ignoring it, condemning it, or demanding they are "fired" try listening. Hundreds of NFL players kneeled or linked arms in protest yesterday. Teams are releasing statements of support. This isn't a PR stunt. This isn't one player. These are humans standing up for other humans and refusing to be silenced. Hear them. Don't try and silence them also.

First of all, I'm not white

Second , Huffington post is garbage

This is most definitely a pr stunt

Why don't they protest thousands of shootings every year in Chicago?

Colin Kapernick started all of this,  the man is a freaking moron who loves Castro, praising Cuba's educational system, compares police to modern day slave hunters and wear little piggy socks.

Oh by the way Kapernick says he wouldn't kneel this past off-season when he was looking for a job.

Sry not gonna follow the lead of moronic athletes because they can throw a ball or make a 3pt shot.

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2017, 12:37:09 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: -28003
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
It's crazy to me that the one guy being called out for his "free speech" is Alejandro Villanueva, and by his coach no less.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2017, 12:45:34 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 305
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I support what ever the team chooses to do, and I'll follow suit at the games myself.

Trump's recent comments towards Kaepernick, Curry, LeBron and all professional athletes are disgusting. I was happy to see so many take NFL players take a knee last Sunday and enact their right to peacefully protest him and his comments. The president should not be commentating on sports events when Puerto Rico is running out of supplies and without power, we are on the brink of war with NK, and the Republicans are trying to railroad a dangerous healthcare reform. There needs to be priorities with the Commander-in-chief. Twitter fights should not be one of them.

LeBron is a useful idiot, like many of the athletes that think they are some kind of hero because they go with the  latest trendy SJW cause.

He was campaigning with Hillary for Christ sake.

Guess he missed Hillary calling blacks super predators....

Most of these athletes have no idea what they are talking about, just doing it to win SJW brownie points.

In typical Trump-fashion, you've completely ignored everything I've said and changed the topic to Hilary. Are you hung up on something? Like how she won the popular vote  ::)

Also, I went back and found this article for you. I lurk here a lot and have read a lot of your responses. I think you need something like this, it's going to make you uncomfortable, it's your privilege to ignore me and not read it, but I hope you'll take a moment and check it out. It could explain a lot on the "other side" for you. Maybe you won't be so grouchy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-halstead/dear-fellow-white-people-_b_11109842.html?ncid=engmodushpmg00000003

To get this back on topic, these athletes were protesting racial injustice and police brutality. I feel as if they are now protesting the president and his attempt to silence them. I hope it continues and the movement builds. I hope the NFL, NBA, MLB continue to support their athletes and their message. I can tell you right now they won't be fired. They make these organizations millions upon millions of dollars each year. These organizations are built on the backs of these athletes. Without them, there is no "entertainment" for you to enjoy. Rather than being uncomfortable and ignoring it, condemning it, or demanding they are "fired" try listening. Hundreds of NFL players kneeled or linked arms in protest yesterday. Teams are releasing statements of support. This isn't a PR stunt. This isn't one player. These are humans standing up for other humans and refusing to be silenced. Hear them. Don't try and silence them also.

You're wasting your time. Unless you're linking Fox News or Breitbart, they're not going to read it.

Some posters are capable of having nuanced discussion, some just want to hear the rhetoric shouted back at them.
Thank you, Isaiah!!!

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2017, 12:48:33 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 330

I'm not familiar with the details you speak of but the racist part is an assumption on your part. Perhaps he would have had the same opinion.  A racist comment goes more like this Hillary  "Black people are super preditors and the hispanic vote is the Taco vote.  That is what a racist comment looks like.

Your unfamiliarity speaks volumes

And I've had enough with "whataboutism", Hillary isn't president.
You can't excuse this man by pointing at other people.
He is in charge and he is acting exactly like I feared he would.

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2017, 12:51:19 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Gordon Hayward
First off trump is NOT racist no matter what CNN wants you to think. Second, the people did not put him in office because we are racist.  We elected him because he isnt Washington trash. We don't need another silver tounged speaker whom trashes the constitution he swore to uphold.

We elected him to address the racist free trade deals. We elected him to address the Globalist attempts at controlling our Nation, We elected him to get back to securing America and stop Nation building. We elected him to enforce the laws the legislative branch passes, We elected him to bring jobs back, And most of all we elected him to prevent Crooked Hillary from signing the TPP and ending our sovereignty. No he isnt the person I wanted as President.  But he isnt Hillary.  I'll tell you what I told the GOP folks when they brought John McCain to the table.  Bring a more competent representative to the front or expect defeat.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2017, 12:56:58 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Gordon Hayward

Your unfamiliarity speaks volumes

And I've had enough with "whataboutism", Hillary isn't president.
You can't excuse this man by pointing at other people.
He is in charge and he is acting exactly like I feared he would.

My unfamiliarity speaks volumes?  lol  So anything I know that you happen not to reguarding Trump I can assume your inadequate as well.  lol.  Please. 

I'm not attempting to excuse anything.  I simply educated you on actual racism.  You seem to think that assuming things make someone racist.  Perhaps you are racist for your assumptions. Would you be making the same assumptions if Trump were black?  I think not. ;) 

Good day.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2017, 01:12:41 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 77
  • Forever LIT
This is all silly.  Yes some cops are bad,  We get it.  But how would people feel if the players took a knee and said it was to bring attention to the fact that Blacks are only 13% of the National population yet commit 53% of all murders.  Seems like something that needs attention brought to it perhaps.  But can we do it somewhere where an actual difference can be made other than to offend 70% of the people your attempting to enlighten?

If you actually want to be taken seriously try not to offend the people you are pleading to. The very first step in attempting to presuade someone of your ideals is to ensure you actually care what they think and how they feel.  Otherwise you are simply massaging your own ego.

I'm not sure what the point was of citing the murder statistic is, but Kap's intent (which he's already stated) was to bring awareness to issues he feels is plaguing our social climate. He's already done a lot of grass roots work to help the underprivileged members of our society so he's made actual differences in the lives of many.

And realistically, it's difficult to take a stance for anything without offending someone so I don't see how you want him to establish a firm position without rustling feathers. I can't think of anybody who's view wasn't met with at least some type of backlash.

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2017, 01:13:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 5125
I, like many of you, have been to games and every time, I see people not honoring the flag. They sit, they talk during the national anthem, they walk out to go get a beer, they wear hats, etc. Never have I seen any politician or anyone else calling out these people. Hell, when I am at home watching a game and the anthem comes on and they show the flag, I don't stand and show respect for the flag and anthem, I doubt anyone here does.

The players are exercising their right to free speech and protest. They are doing it silently. Its not how I would protest as I follow the code of the flag and hope others would to. But this is a free country and people can do what they want, when they want.

And regarding suspending or firing these players, that is up to their employer. Most if not all businesses have consequences that will happen if you express yourself in some way on the job, up to and including termination. If the team owners and the league offices aren't going to give the players consequences for kneeling or interlocking arms during the anthem, then the players can do as they like.

Again, protesting in this manner is not something I would do, but I will fight for their right to do so. Its their right as Americans.

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2017, 01:13:35 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 406
Depends on each player but I wouldn't oppose it. And if any player feels strongly about it, they should. It's a platform. Use it.

As much as some of u don't want to recognize it, sports and politics mix. Because sports transcends beyond the game. These players aren't just athletes, they're role models. And if they think an issue is important enough, then they should speak on it.
- LilRip

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2017, 01:14:17 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 492
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
First off trump is NOT racist no matter what CNN wants you to think. Second, the people did not put him in office because we are racist.  We elected him because he isnt Washington trash. We don't need another silver tounged speaker whom trashes the constitution he swore to uphold.

We elected him to address the racist free trade deals. We elected him to address the Globalist attempts at controlling our Nation, We elected him to get back to securing America and stop Nation building. We elected him to enforce the laws the legislative branch passes, We elected him to bring jobs back, And most of all we elected him to prevent Crooked Hillary from signing the TPP and ending our sovereignty. No he isnt the person I wanted as President.  But he isnt Hillary.  I'll tell you what I told the GOP folks when they brought John McCain to the table.  Bring a more competent representative to the front or expect defeat.
Sorry to hear you were misled by the Russian-led propaganda during the campaign, but then you didn't even bother to revise your position after Trump publicly proved to everyone he is a racist who also has no respect the Constitution.  CNN didn't tell me he is a racist who despises the press, Trump did, in his own words.