Poll

Should Celtics Take A knee opening night?

Yes
17 (51.5%)
No
16 (48.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closes: October 25, 2017, 09:16:01 AM

Author Topic: Not to get Political...Just asking...Should Celtics Take a knee  (Read 1376 times)

Re: Not to get Political...Just asking...Should Celtics Take a knee
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 10:37:07 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: -28003
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
This is all silly to begin with.

The national anthem was written by a racist.

The constitution was written by slave owners.

Kneeling during the anthem isn't a sign of disrespect.

Don't you kneel before for king? To propose to your future wife?

What is the big deal???

They're not kneeling to pay homage. 

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 10:39:47 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
People twist and pretzel his message,

It's hard to misrepresent this message:

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 10:40:57 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1207
Voting would've been easier on the knees.  But sure, why not?

Kyrie probaby doesn't believe in kneeling on a hardwood floor for philosophical reasons.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 11:04:44 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
"As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game."
-Larry Bird

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 10:59:35 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 77
  • Forever LIT

Well what message are you getting?

He's specifically called out police brutality in the past (not police in general), so I'd take it that he's only concerned with the police officers who he deems to be unjustly acquitted of crimes against certain people?

I mean that's what I get out of it. I stopped assuming that people mean "all" when they wear/say certain things a long time ago.

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 11:06:54 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown

Well what message are you getting?

He's specifically called out police brutality in the past (not police in general), so I'd take it that he's only concerned with the police officers who he deems to be unjustly acquitted of crimes against certain people?

I mean that's what I get out of it. I stopped assuming that people mean "all" when they wear/say certain things a long time ago.

Really?

To test that principle... If Tom Brady wore socks with a black man hanging from a tree, would you assume he was just referring to individual black men he disagrees with, rather than all of them?

It seems like an overly generous interpretation.

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 11:07:04 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
They should bend the knee for their queen Khaleesi.

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 11:16:10 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2348
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Take a knee for what purpose? To protest "racist" police officers (who won't ever stop being racist no matter how many kneels the are)?

If you explain the purpose and what the kneeling resolves, it can help us understand. Anyways, kneeling is against the U.S. Code and is unethical and disrespectful to the flag and those that serve our country

Standing for the flag isn't a conservative thing or a trump thing, it's an American thing

I feel like we're picking and choosing what part of the code to follow here if we get upset over kneeling but not other things.

36 U.S.C. 171
During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there.

I rarely see athletes with hands over their hearts and those that wear headbands leave them on.  Also having your head down is not standing at attention.  Technically, shouldn't these be considered the same level of unethical disrespect as kneeling, as it's against US code?  It seems like the only part of the code we get correct was the standing part.

All of the following are more explicit violations of the flag code than kneeling:

It ain't about the flag code.

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 11:23:15 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 28
It's been a while since my anticipation for a sports season opener has been this high. On top of that, basketball and the Celtics are my favorites. I absolutely do not want to see any protest during the national anthem from my favorite team. If they want to protest, then fine, but find a different means of dong so. Maybe they can collectively take a knee after they're all introduced. This whole national anthem kneeling garbage has even occurred during 8 year old youth football. If my kid did that, I would have waited for the anthem to finish and then immediately taken him home.

Colin Kaepernick may have started this trend, but people also seem to forget that he was very selective in his social awareness. Those police pig socks were a nice subtle touch. Or how about wearing a Fidel Castro t-shirt during a press conference in Miami.

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 11:28:43 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 492
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It's up to the players of course.  This is not a question that fans can or should answer.

That will make some people here very mad, but this is a blog and I have the right to say it.

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 11:30:15 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
It's up to the players of course.  This is not a question that fans can or should answer.

That will make some people here very mad, but this is a blog and I have the right to say it.

Why shouldn't they?

And I suppose, technically, it's up to their employers.

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 11:37:33 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Jayson Tatum
  • Forever LIT

Really?

To test that principle... If Tom Brady wore socks with a black man hanging from a tree, would you assume he was just referring to individual black men he disagrees with, rather than all of them?

To play along, if Tom Brady specifically spoke out on grievances he's had with individual black men he disagrees with, I would not assume he wants to hang all black men if he wore socks like that (especially if he's never previously used "all" to address the people he's had issues with).

We've got to get past the broad brush thing. When people say "Trump supporters are racist" or "Hillary supporters are idiots" I don't assume they mean each and every single supporter is this or that. Nobody can ever speak in absolutes. At least not logically.

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 11:40:29 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 8721

Why shouldn't they?

And I suppose, technically, it's up to their employers.
if you think the NBA owners are going to force/dictate that they're players stand for the anthem, I think you'll be surprised that many (if not all) will refrain from doing so.  didn't see it in the NFL, I find it even more unlikely you'd see it in the NBA.

Personally, standing or kneeling is free speech as I see it.  I'd prefer that all stand for the anthem but if they choose not to, that's their right.  I was more impressed with the players that linked arms at the games as a show of unity against Trump.  sent a better and more effective message IMO. 

for what it's worth, I think CK could have found a better way to get his message across than kneeling during the anthem.  while it's certainly brought him and his issue attention, I think he should have been more vocal in the media about his concerns.  Would have gotten plenty of attention as a national athlete speaking out while not alienating those that have tuned out his message because of perceived disrespect to the anthem/flag. 

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 11:43:11 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown

Really?

To play along, if Tom Brady specifically spoke out on grievances he's had with individual black men he disagrees with, I would not assume he wants to hang all black men if he wore socks like that (especially if he's never previously used "all" to address the people he's had issues with).

We've got to get past the broad brush thing. When people say "Trump supporters are racist" or "Hillary supporters are idiots" I don't assume they mean each and every single supporter is this or that. Nobody can ever speak in absolutes. At least not logically.

That's wild to me. Images and symbols have meaning beyond specific instances.

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 11:46:14 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• NCE
  • Gordon Hayward
  • #99PROBLEMS
I support what ever the team chooses to do, and I'll follow suit at the games myself.

Trump's recent comments towards Kaepernick, Curry, LeBron and all professional athletes are disgusting. I was happy to see so many take NFL players take a knee last Sunday and enact their right to peacefully protest him and his comments. The president should not be commentating on sports events when Puerto Rico is running out of supplies and without power, we are on the brink of war with NK, and the Republicans are trying to railroad a dangerous healthcare reform. There needs to be priorities with the Commander-in-chief. Twitter fights should not be one of them. 
"There’s a lot of talk about we need a 'superstar'... But all 5 guys on the court are so locked in and so engaged that we’re 1 superstar."

-Jae Crowder

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 11:47:31 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
Personally, standing or kneeling is free speech as I see it.  I'd prefer that all stand for the anthem but if they choose not to, that's their right.

It's not their "right" to do it at work. The First Amendment doesn't apply to private employers.

The NFL probably won't discipline them, but they absolutely can.