3 (5%)
Thunder
11 (18.3%)
Celtics
4 (6.7%)
Other team named below
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: D Wade bought out by Chicago. Where is he going?  (Read 12546 times)

Re: D Wade bought out by Chicago. Where is he going?
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2017, 12:11:33 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
If Wade goes to OKC then half of the Melo/Wade/James/Paul fun bunch would already be on one team. 

If Westbrooks decides not to re-sign with OKC, and George goes to LA, then they'd have enough cap space to sign LeBron and perhaps Paul.

It's not LA fun, but those four in OKC would fulfill their dream.
If Wade goes to Cleveland, half would be there also.  And there is no way James is signing with OKC in the off season.

How do you know there I no way? He hates the owner in Cleveland and the team has a mess of a salary cap with virtually no improving young players to soften the load on him as he ages.

I'll also add in pretty sure everyone would have said there was "no way" Paul George and Carmelo Anthony would both be playing in OKC this season 4 months ago
And Paul George and Carmelo Anthony wouldn't be in OKC if they were free agents.  Trades are funny that way (and yes I know Anthony had a no trade clause, but he was still traded). 

Aside from that, OKC has about 55 million in guaranteed contracts the following year and that is not counting George, Anthony, or Westbrook.  Even if Westbrook and George leave and Anthony opts out, the only way OKC could sign James to a max is if Anthony, Wade, and Paul all signed for right around 10 million combined.  Why would Anthony opt out of 28 million only to re-sign in OKC for peanuts?  Couple that with the shear fact that that team is no where near a contender.  James isn't going there. 

There is no way James will be playing for the Thunder for the 18/19 season.  None at all.

Lol your answer is pretty similar to a dad saying "because I am your father and told you so." Carmelo Anythiny made them one of 3 teams in the entire NBA he would play for. That shows it was pretty appealing for him. You don't have any idea what Lebron would do or what moves a brilliant owner like Presti could do to clear cap room. You are just stomping your feet cause it would lower the value of all your Lebron fat heads and posters.
It was appealing for Anthony to play with George and Westbrook.  Just like it was appealing to play with James or Harden and Paul.  Anthony wanted to play with "friends" on a team that could contend.  There weren't very many options available that fit that description.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Anthony opt in to that contract and stay in OKC if Russ or PG stays there, but that is no where near the same thing as James going there.  James won't go to OKC.  It financially doesn't make sense and it basketball wise doesn't make sense.

Enlighten me why him playing alongside Westbrook, Anthony and George wouldn't make "basketball sense." You have literally argued this summer how good a fit George and Anthony would be playing next to James in Cleveland (when it seemed they could end up there). Now playing with them in OKC would be a bad fit? Do they use a smaller ball there or something? You really do crack me up on me. What others passions do you have that you get this ridiculous for? We got to start some more threads.

« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2017, 12:40:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
i bet he signs with Cleveland  ;D

« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2017, 12:45:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2017, 12:54:43 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Woj announces Wade close to committing to Cleveland. Shocker.

Yeah not, but it's interesting to think about that team.  I think Wade is underrated by some people.  Dude can still play.

I think Wade and LeBron can hold the ship ball handling for sure until IT comes back too.  With IT that is extremely dangerous to have to cover those three guys.

Wade isn't dangerous anymore. You don't really have to cover Wade except man-to-man and he's a subpar on defense.

Wade is an exceptionally inefficient volume shooter. 18.3 ppg on 15.9 attempts is awful. His eFG the past 3 years is .483, .459 and .457. That is terrible. His saving grace has been his ability to get to the line. At the peak of his career he averaged about 10 FTA per game. His numbers the last 3 years are 6.0, 5.5 and 4.7. Even that part of his game is failing him. He can't shoot the 3 (28% for his career, 31% last year).

Because Wade can't hit the 3, defenders can sag on him a bit. He's 6'4" and doesn't have the hops anymore to get over people. He doesn't get by them very well either as his quickness has faded. He doesn't get bailed out by the refs anymore. Wade is more reputation than game now. He's not entirely useless (aka Paul Pierce last year) but he's nothing you have to defensively plan for anymore.   
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2017, 01:28:11 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Yeah not, but it's interesting to think about that team.  I think Wade is underrated by some people.  Dude can still play.

I think Wade and LeBron can hold the ship ball handling for sure until IT comes back too.  With IT that is extremely dangerous to have to cover those three guys.

Wade isn't dangerous anymore. You don't really have to cover Wade except man-to-man and he's a subpar on defense.

Wade is an exceptionally inefficient volume shooter. 18.3 ppg on 15.9 attempts is awful. His eFG the past 3 years is .483, .459 and .457. That is terrible. His saving grace has been his ability to get to the line. At the peak of his career he averaged about 10 FTA per game. His numbers the last 3 years are 6.0, 5.5 and 4.7. Even that part of his game is failing him. He can't shoot the 3 (28% for his career, 31% last year).

Because Wade can't hit the 3, defenders can sag on him a bit. He's 6'4" and doesn't have the hops anymore to get over people. He doesn't get by them very well either as his quickness has faded. He doesn't get bailed out by the refs anymore. Wade is more reputation than game now. He's not entirely useless (aka Paul Pierce last year) but he's nothing you have to defensively plan for anymore.

What you don't consider with any of your stats is his situation, carrying two bad teams.  He's never been a shooter and he can shoot volume, but someone had to shoot volume on those teams. Do you know when Wade had the best eFG%'s of his career?  When he was playing on great teams with LeBron.

He is still a great passer and as a 3rd or 4th even option he does wreck gameplans working off those other players.

Notice your 3 point criticism is something Dwayne Wade has never had, yet he is one of the best SGs to ever play basketball.  I think he can do without that now too.  Of course, he can't be the same without his athleticism and youth, but he can still play.

I am not saying he is a star player.  I have seen other people talking like Wade can't play and they are wrong.  He helps Cleveland for sure.

You plan defensively for Wade like you plan for any number of players.  In fact, the Celtics strategy is usually to let LeBron have his more and cover the other guys, so Wade will be gameplanned for.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2017, 01:37:08 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

What you don't consider with any of your stats is his situation, carrying two bad teams.  He's never been a shooter and he can shoot volume, but someone had to shoot volume on those teams. Do you know when Wade had the best eFG%'s of his career?  When he was playing on great teams with LeBron.

He is still a great passer and as a 3rd or 4th even option he does wreck gameplans working off those other players.

Notice your 3 point criticism is something Dwayne Wade has never had, yet he is one of the best SGs to ever play basketball.  I think he can do without that now too.  Of course, he can't be the same without his athleticism and youth, but he can still play.

I am not saying he is a star player.  I have seen other people talking like Wade can't play and they are wrong.  He helps Cleveland for sure.

You plan defensively for Wade like you plan for any number of players.  In fact, the Celtics strategy is usually to let LeBron have his more and cover the other guys, so Wade will be gameplanned for.

How in the world was he "carrying" the Bulls last year? Butler was there best player by a mile. They weren't exactly bad either as they did make the playoffs (obviously not a title contender but people usually mean more like the Orlando magic when they are talking about carrying a bad team). The year before the definition of bad team is even more strange. That Heat team went 48-34 and had Whiteside, Dragic, a still effective Joe Johnson and Deng and Wade along with some ok bench players. Wade was 5th on that team in minutes played and actually even averaged a smidge less points than Bosh in the 53 games Bosh played. This is dramatically misusing the phrase "carrying a bad team."

« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2017, 02:00:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If Wade goes to OKC then half of the Melo/Wade/James/Paul fun bunch would already be on one team. 

If Westbrooks decides not to re-sign with OKC, and George goes to LA, then they'd have enough cap space to sign LeBron and perhaps Paul.

If Wade goes to Cleveland, half would be there also.  And there is no way James is signing with OKC in the off season.

How do you know there I no way? He hates the owner in Cleveland and the team has a mess of a salary cap with virtually no improving young players to soften the load on him as he ages.

I'll also add in pretty sure everyone would have said there was "no way" Paul George and Carmelo Anthony would both be playing in OKC this season 4 months ago
And Paul George and Carmelo Anthony wouldn't be in OKC if they were free agents.  Trades are funny that way (and yes I know Anthony had a no trade clause, but he was still traded). 

Aside from that, OKC has about 55 million in guaranteed contracts the following year and that is not counting George, Anthony, or Westbrook.  Even if Westbrook and George leave and Anthony opts out, the only way OKC could sign James to a max is if Anthony, Wade, and Paul all signed for right around 10 million combined.  Why would Anthony opt out of 28 million only to re-sign in OKC for peanuts?  Couple that with the shear fact that that team is no where near a contender.  James isn't going there. 

There is no way James will be playing for the Thunder for the 18/19 season.  None at all.

Lol your answer is pretty similar to a dad saying "because I am your father and told you so." Carmelo Anythiny made them one of 3 teams in the entire NBA he would play for. That shows it was pretty appealing for him. You don't have any idea what Lebron would do or what moves a brilliant owner like Presti could do to clear cap room. You are just stomping your feet cause it would lower the value of all your Lebron fat heads and posters.
It was appealing for Anthony to play with George and Westbrook.  Just like it was appealing to play with James or Harden and Paul.  Anthony wanted to play with "friends" on a team that could contend.  There weren't very many options available that fit that description.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Anthony opt in to that contract and stay in OKC if Russ or PG stays there, but that is no where near the same thing as James going there.  James won't go to OKC.  It financially doesn't make sense and it basketball wise doesn't make sense.

Enlighten me why him playing alongside Westbrook, Anthony and George wouldn't make "basketball sense." You have literally argued this summer how good a fit George and Anthony would be playing next to James in Cleveland (when it seemed they could end up there). Now playing with them in OKC would be a bad fit? Do they use a smaller ball there or something? You really do crack me up on me. What others passions do you have that you get this ridiculous for? We got to start some more threads.
Because George and Westbrook won't be in OKC under the scenario that was presented here.  And if you add Anthony to the mix who is the SF, who is the PF, and what does the other one do.  Unless you somehow think one of them is going to be happy to come off the bench at the MLE or less salary, I don't see why you think that would work.  As is, if OKC keeps George, Westbrook, and Anthony (who opts in) they will have the largest payroll in league history.  There is no way that team can then add James (who will never sign for the taxpayer MLE anyway).

Unless you actually think James will sign in OKC you have been doing nothing but trolling in this thread.  Which is pretty much you m.o.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2017, 02:18:37 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

How in the world was he "carrying" the Bulls last year? Butler was there best player by a mile. They weren't exactly bad either as they did make the playoffs (obviously not a title contender but people usually mean more like the Orlando magic when they are talking about carrying a bad team). The year before the definition of bad team is even more strange. That Heat team went 48-34 and had Whiteside, Dragic, a still effective Joe Johnson and Deng and Wade along with some ok bench players. Wade was 5th on that team in minutes played and actually even averaged a smidge less points than Bosh in the 53 games Bosh played. This is dramatically misusing the phrase "carrying a bad team."

Okay, you don't agree with my phrasing, and I should not have said that Heat team was bad.

Someone has to carry the offensive load for these teams.  Offense does not generate itself, and guys who can't make a play don't make plays.  The Bulls have, besides Butler, Wade, and Rondo, basically not a single player who can do that.  So Wade has to take shots and have the ball and make plays.  When Butler was on the bench, Wade was carrying the load for the team on the floor.

The Heat team you mention had Dragic but not another of those guys ever creates offense, if not is actually kind of bad on offense.

If the team around that guy isn't good at all, that goes into your analysis if you want to actually get a look at things.  And so should what a player is asked to do.

Early Brad Stevens years, Avery Bradley was asked to carry that load for this Celtics team and he didn't look good doing it and he was a volume shooter.  But he was the guy who could come off screens and get the shots how a Wade does,and that HAS to happen on a team.  Later, when you ask Avery to do less alongside IT and Horford, two guys who pass and make plays, he plays better and looks better.  That's the kind of thing I am talking about.

I'm not saying Wade is still a star but you have to consider these things with him and especially how he fits going into a better team, where he is asked to do way less.  A team with LeBron is quite a bit different than a Heat team with Dragic that went nowhere.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:25:18 PM by Snakehead »

« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2017, 02:29:05 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Okay, you don't agree with my phrasing, and I should not have said that Heat team was bad.

Someone has to carry the offensive load for these teams.  Offense does not generate itself, and guys who can't make a play don't make plays.  The Bulls have, besides Butler, Wade, and Rondo, basically not a single player who can do that.  So Wade has to take shots and have the ball and make plays.  When Butler was on the bench, Wade was carrying the load for the team on the floor.

The Heat team you mention had Dragic but not another of those guys ever creates offense, if not is actually kind of bad on offense.

If the team around that guy isn't good at all, that goes into your analysis if you want to actually get a look at things.  And so should what a player is asked to do.

Early Brad Stevens years, Avery Bradley was asked to carry that load for this Celtics team and he didn't look good doing it and he was a volume shooter.  But he was the guy who could come off screens and get the shots how a Wade does,and that HAS to happen on a team.  Later, when you ask Avery to do less alongside IT and Horford, two guys who pass and make plays, he plays better and looks better.  That's the kind of thing I am talking about.

I'm not saying Wade is still a star but you have to consider these things with him and especially how he fits going into a better team, where he is asked to do way less.  A team with LeBron is quite a bit different than a Heat team with Dragic that went nowhere.

"ISO-Joe" is obviously known as a guy that creates his own offense. Deng had not fallen off the cliff at that point either. Bosh was also there for more than 50 games. Wade was a leader but was hardly carrying them. He is 35 and definitely declining

« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Wade would be a super 6th man for someone but he isn't going to help many teams as a starter anymore. His defense is too bad, he needs the ball in his hands on offense to be effective and doesn't space the floor. Not a good combination for someone who is your 4th-5th best player.

But still a very effective weapon in a 2nd unit where Wade can command the ball and you can run your offense through him. His ball-handling and passing are still elite. He is still a capable scorer. He is still able to be the focal point for a team's offense for a few minutes at a time. Although no longer a whole game.

A great option to have while your stars get a breather on the bench.

« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2017, 02:30:52 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
He is 35 and definitely declining

Never said this wasn't the case. He's still good at basketball.

« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2017, 05:15:27 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

When he was 5 years younger. He was in his prime with Lebron so of course he should shoot better. The trend seems to be more connected to his age than who he played with.

I wouldn't say great. He has the same assist percentage as Marcus Smart. And you're going to need to provide proof that he somehow now "wrecks" gameplans. I'd say the only gameplan he wrecks is an efficient offense.

The point is that as players get older they have to rely on their outside shot more. That's how guys like Ray Allen and Paul Pierce made it into their late 30s while still offering something. For instance, Pierce had an eFG of .537 when he was 37 and a large part of that was he could shoot 39% from 3 point land. He could offer the team something. What is Wade going to fall back on? His game hasn't aged well because once he lost his vaunted athleticism he has very little to offer. How does he help an offense when he can't offer spacing, or drive the lane anymore, or get gift free throws? 

It depends on his role because he's a role player now. If they bring him off the bench for 20 minutes and let him operate against lesser players he'll be effective. But if they want him to start and pick up a large portion of the scoring load from a missing IT, they're in for an unpleasant surprise. He's not that guy anymore.

You don't game plan for Wade. You just line up and guard him nowadays. He's not the guy who is likely to beat you.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2017, 06:21:32 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Because George and Westbrook won't be in OKC under the scenario that was presented here.  And if you add Anthony to the mix who is the SF, who is the PF, and what does the other one do.  Unless you somehow think one of them is going to be happy to come off the bench at the MLE or less salary, I don't see why you think that would work.  As is, if OKC keeps George, Westbrook, and Anthony (who opts in) they will have the largest payroll in league history.  There is no way that team can then add James (who will never sign for the taxpayer MLE anyway).

Unless you actually think James will sign in OKC you have been doing nothing but trolling in this thread.  Which is pretty much you m.o.

Pretty sure you are the only person on this board that would call me a troll. To answer your question I could envision Carmelo Anthony taking a very small salary next year to play with his friends whether it be OKC or somewhere else. Carmelo will be 34 then, and barring an unlikely title run for OKC, will be chasing a ring. Many many people have done this kind of thing at the end of their career. I am not sure why you think it is so baffling. Heck Wade definitely signed himself out of more money from Miami or other teams just today!

I think the Thunder could move Adams if they needed to. They may have to add a sweetener, but getting rid of him in a salary dump wouldn't be the worst deal in the NBA. They have a really clear cap sheet aside from that. You give big contracts to PG, Lebron and Westbrook and have Melo making small money. This is hardly pie in the sky stuff.

« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2017, 07:12:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Enough with the personal jabs. I'm getting sick of the "your argument means less because of who you are / what you've said" junk. Nobody on here is a punching bag, regardless of what they've articulated previously.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2017, 02:47:22 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

First of all, since when is Sam Presti the owner of the Thunder?  I must have missed that one, and secondly, while I disagree with Moranis that George and Anthony would make excellent fits with Lebron, I completely agree with his assertion that James attempting to play with Westbrook, George, and Anthony would make absolutely no basketball sense, whatsoever.  We've seen this happen before with the Heat - despite their success, Lebron and Wade never fit well together at all due to the fact that both were poor outside shooters who needed the ball in their hands to be effective, so it became more of a "your turn my turn" kind of offense, with Chris Bosh being the best shooter of the three, and now you think that Lebron can play with Westbrook and Anthony?  All of those guys need the ball in their hands and of the three only Melo can shoot, but he also kills any semblance of ball movement, never mind player movement, and his "defense" goes without saying.  Westbrook just won an MVP by dominating the ball and has no range, while Lebron has won the same award four times by playing a better passing version of the same style and has never changed his game to be able to even have moderate success without the ball.  He needs it in his hands at all times, as does Melo.  If James and Carmelo, and Westbrook, I suppose, were all much younger at least there would be some hope that they could change their games for the better, but it's much too late for that now, imo.  These guys are who they are and have been playing the same style for far too long to change at this point, imo.  Not only would there not be enough shots to go around in this hypothetical arrangement, but the whole thing would be an absolute train wreck on both ends of the floor, imo, and we'll possibly get a preview of that this season if Rose, Wade, and Lebron are on the court at the same time.  Oh lawd, Cleveland's half court offense is going to be clogged worse than the residents of a senior center.  I hope that their training staff has stocked up on prune juice, lol :laugh: