3 (5%)
Thunder
11 (18.3%)
Celtics
4 (6.7%)
Other team named below
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: D Wade bought out by Chicago. Where is he going?  (Read 12554 times)

Re: D Wade bought out by Chicago. Where is he going?
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2017, 08:28:12 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't understand why the Bulls bought him out, they had all of the leverage.  For a team as bad as the Bulls, Wade actually sells tickets for them b/c he's an entertaining draw.  And what would happen if the Bulls said "no, we don't want to buy you out"?  Wade has only a few decent years left, he won't want to toil away or sit out with injury in protest all season... he'd probably accept a much lower buyout.  These teams stink at negotiating..

Have the terms of the buy out been reported?  I have not seen it.  How do you know that it wasn't a fair buyout?  I agree that Wade wanted out and that the Bulls did have some leverage but I don't think there is enough information to say that the Bulls made a bad deal.

I believe Woj reported Wade gave up about $8 million, a bit more than a third of his salary.
yep and Wade isn't going to make that up in this contract (at least with the teams he is reportedly talking to).  The Bulls are also below the salary floor so they would be paying money to someone anyway
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2017, 09:50:39 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
If Wade goes to OKC then half of the Melo/Wade/James/Paul fun bunch would already be on one team. 

If Westbrooks decides not to re-sign with OKC, and George goes to LA, then they'd have enough cap space to sign LeBron and perhaps Paul.

It's not LA fun, but those four in OKC would fulfill their dream.
If Wade goes to Cleveland, half would be there also.  And there is no way James is signing with OKC in the off season.

How do you know there I no way? He hates the owner in Cleveland and the team has a mess of a salary cap with virtually no improving young players to soften the load on him as he ages.

I'll also add in pretty sure everyone would have said there was "no way" Paul George and Carmelo Anthony would both be playing in OKC this season 4 months ago
And Paul George and Carmelo Anthony wouldn't be in OKC if they were free agents.  Trades are funny that way (and yes I know Anthony had a no trade clause, but he was still traded). 

Aside from that, OKC has about 55 million in guaranteed contracts the following year and that is not counting George, Anthony, or Westbrook.  Even if Westbrook and George leave and Anthony opts out, the only way OKC could sign James to a max is if Anthony, Wade, and Paul all signed for right around 10 million combined.  Why would Anthony opt out of 28 million only to re-sign in OKC for peanuts?  Couple that with the shear fact that that team is no where near a contender.  James isn't going there. 

There is no way James will be playing for the Thunder for the 18/19 season.  None at all.

Why do you assume that James would only go there for the max?  If he's friends with all of these guys I see all four (if they can) taking the same amount.  Figure out what salary will be needed for complimentary pieces, and whatever is left (let's say it's $50M) they divide it by four ($12.5M each).

James makes enough money with his other businesses.  He doesn't need to max out his NBA salary any more if his #1 desire is to just play with his buds.

People love to say stuff like this but it doesn't happen much.  Players only take small pay cuts.  There's are reasons for it but the big ones:

1) Why should players take pay cuts?  They should not at all.  The owners don't and no one else does, but then the players get it put on them, when in reality many are underpaid.  I have seen a lot of analysis on this stuff and LeBron, for what he actually does for you team, is worth like 80 mill a year.

2) There is a Players Union and things with salary are connected to that.  If the best player in the league starts taking a pay cut to do this and that, you are hurting the entire union.  What legs do journeyman type players have left to stand on if that is going on at the top?
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2017, 10:13:57 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would love him on Boston with the belief that he doesn't have to play a lot during the regular season.  Save his minutes for the playoffs.  He has veteran know how.  He can hit a game winner.

Of course it is too much of a long shot for it to actually happen. 

« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2017, 10:16:14 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
If Wade goes to OKC then half of the Melo/Wade/James/Paul fun bunch would already be on one team. 

If Westbrooks decides not to re-sign with OKC, and George goes to LA, then they'd have enough cap space to sign LeBron and perhaps Paul.

If Wade goes to Cleveland, half would be there also.  And there is no way James is signing with OKC in the off season.

How do you know there I no way? He hates the owner in Cleveland and the team has a mess of a salary cap with virtually no improving young players to soften the load on him as he ages.

I'll also add in pretty sure everyone would have said there was "no way" Paul George and Carmelo Anthony would both be playing in OKC this season 4 months ago
And Paul George and Carmelo Anthony wouldn't be in OKC if they were free agents.  Trades are funny that way (and yes I know Anthony had a no trade clause, but he was still traded). 

Aside from that, OKC has about 55 million in guaranteed contracts the following year and that is not counting George, Anthony, or Westbrook.  Even if Westbrook and George leave and Anthony opts out, the only way OKC could sign James to a max is if Anthony, Wade, and Paul all signed for right around 10 million combined.  Why would Anthony opt out of 28 million only to re-sign in OKC for peanuts?  Couple that with the shear fact that that team is no where near a contender.  James isn't going there. 

There is no way James will be playing for the Thunder for the 18/19 season.  None at all.

Why do you assume that James would only go there for the max?  If he's friends with all of these guys I see all four (if they can) taking the same amount.  Figure out what salary will be needed for complimentary pieces, and whatever is left (let's say it's $50M) they divide it by four ($12.5M each).

James makes enough money with his other businesses.  He doesn't need to max out his NBA salary any more if his #1 desire is to just play with his buds.

People love to say stuff like this but it doesn't happen much.  Players only take small pay cuts.  There's are reasons for it but the big ones:

1) Why should players take pay cuts?  They should not at all.  The owners don't and no one else does, but then the players get it put on them, when in reality many are underpaid.  I have seen a lot of analysis on this stuff and LeBron, for what he actually does for you team, is worth like 80 mill a year.

2) There is a Players Union and things with salary are connected to that.  If the best player in the league starts taking a pay cut to do this and that, you are hurting the entire union.  What legs do journeyman type players have left to stand on if that is going on at the top?

Top players more willing to get pay cuts and it is not that rare.

Look at Cle ,Mia, GS.... Dirk signed at a discount to help the team.....

« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2017, 10:54:33 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't understand why the Bulls bought him out, they had all of the leverage.  For a team as bad as the Bulls, Wade actually sells tickets for them b/c he's an entertaining draw.  And what would happen if the Bulls said "no, we don't want to buy you out"?  Wade has only a few decent years left, he won't want to toil away or sit out with injury in protest all season... he'd probably accept a much lower buyout.  These teams stink at negotiating..

Have the terms of the buy out been reported?  I have not seen it.  How do you know that it wasn't a fair buyout?  I agree that Wade wanted out and that the Bulls did have some leverage but I don't think there is enough information to say that the Bulls made a bad deal.

I believe Woj reported Wade gave up about $8 million, a bit more than a third of his salary.

That seems reasonable.  No, Wade won't make that up but I don't think he is sweating a few million here or there over being an unrestricted FA.  $8M is enough to make it worthwhile for the Bulls to do this while not setting a precedence that the Players Association be unhappy about.

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2017, 11:02:02 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Top players more willing to get pay cuts and it is not that rare.

Look at Cle ,Mia, GS.... Dirk signed at a discount to help the team.....
Small pay cuts happen.  Dirk taking discounts at the end of his career to finish in Dallas is not the same thing as a guy that can sign for a max contract still in his prime. 

What isn't going to happen is both James and Anthony opting out of massive contracts to sign for 1/3 or less of the contract price they just opted out of, especially if said players aren't even swapping teams (like Anthony in that scenario). 

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2017, 11:12:49 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

That seems reasonable.  No, Wade won't make that up but I don't think he is sweating a few million here or there over being an unrestricted FA.  $8M is enough to make it worthwhile for the Bulls to do this while not setting a precedence that the Players Association be unhappy about.

It's kind of reasonable, but I still think the Bulls had all of the leverage.  Wade will get $8M from most teams, but if he's looking at contender's only then he'll probably get less. 

So basically on one side of the balance sheet Wade gets to play wherever he wants for around the same of what he was going to earn.  On the other side of the balance sheet Chicago is paying $15M for no return.  If I'm the Bulls, I hold the line that he'll play for my organization (and help draw attendance, which would pay for his $23M salary) b/c that forces Wade to accept way less.  I highly doubt Wade would want to waste his last remaining years playing in an unhappy situation, so he'd be forced to accept to play there or accept less (i.e. $10M total, giving up $13M)

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2017, 11:36:00 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Chicago buying out Wade is a tanking move.

I doubt Wade signs with any of the teams that have cap space or the MLE left. I think he takes a vet minimum in Cleveland, OKC, or Miami.

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2017, 11:41:19 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It would be awesome if somehow the Nets sign him. He is friends with Lebron and Lebron hates Gilbert, so you never know

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2017, 11:44:09 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Lol your answer is pretty similar to a dad saying "because I am your father and told you so." Carmelo Anythiny made them one of 3 teams in the entire NBA he would play for. That shows it was pretty appealing for him. You don't have any idea what Lebron would do or what moves a brilliant owner like Presti could do to clear cap room. You are just stomping your feet cause it would lower the value of all your Lebron fat heads and posters.

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2017, 12:00:01 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Lol your answer is pretty similar to a dad saying "because I am your father and told you so." Carmelo Anythiny made them one of 3 teams in the entire NBA he would play for. That shows it was pretty appealing for him. You don't have any idea what Lebron would do or what moves a brilliant owner like Presti could do to clear cap room. You are just stomping your feet cause it would lower the value of all your Lebron fat heads and posters.
It was appealing for Anthony to play with George and Westbrook.  Just like it was appealing to play with James or Harden and Paul.  Anthony wanted to play with "friends" on a team that could contend.  There weren't very many options available that fit that description.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Anthony opt in to that contract and stay in OKC if Russ or PG stays there, but that is no where near the same thing as James going there.  James won't go to OKC.  It financially doesn't make sense and it basketball wise doesn't make sense. 

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2017, 12:02:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

It's kind of reasonable, but I still think the Bulls had all of the leverage.  Wade will get $8M from most teams, but if he's looking at contender's only then he'll probably get less. 

So basically on one side of the balance sheet Wade gets to play wherever he wants for around the same of what he was going to earn.  On the other side of the balance sheet Chicago is paying $15M for no return.  If I'm the Bulls, I hold the line that he'll play for my organization (and help draw attendance, which would pay for his $23M salary) b/c that forces Wade to accept way less.  I highly doubt Wade would want to waste his last remaining years playing in an unhappy situation, so he'd be forced to accept to play there or accept less (i.e. $10M total, giving up $13M)

I think the factor people underrate in these situations is the agents. Chicago will almost certainly never negotiate with Dwyane Wade again, but there's a very good chance they'll be negotiating with his agent, or the agency he works for, again. Play hardball with Wade when you've got the leverage and get played harder when they've got it, which happens more often. Not a great long-term model for helping your franchise succeed.

« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2017, 12:08:44 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Woj announces Wade close to committing to Cleveland. Shocker.

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2017, 12:09:04 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

I think the factor people underrate in these situations is the agents. Chicago will almost certainly never negotiate with Dwyane Wade again, but there's a very good chance they'll be negotiating with his agent, or the agency he works for, again. Play hardball with Wade when you've got the leverage and get played harder when they've got it, which happens more often. Not a great long-term model for helping your franchise succeed.

Agreed.  It's not even just an agent thing though.  The players are kind of a unit, especially these days.  They all play ball together in the offseason, play on Olympic teams, spend time on the road.  They have a union of course.

Players see how an organization treats players that go there and that matters.

It's a bit different of an example, but I think the Celtics have a great rep right now, but that's because I think clearly Stevens makes the most of basically anyone who has played for him.  The players also go on to make money elsewhere even.  So I think that has helped the Celtics because players are smart and see these things. 

It's their job after all.  Think about how anyone else would check out employers.

« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2017, 12:09:47 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
Woj announces Wade close to committing to Cleveland. Shocker.

Yeah not, but it's interesting to think about that team.  I think Wade is underrated by some people.  Dude can still play.

I think Wade and LeBron can hold the ship ball handling for sure until IT comes back too.  With IT that is extremely dangerous to have to cover those three guys.