3 (5%)
Thunder
11 (18.3%)
Celtics
4 (6.7%)
Other team named below
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: D Wade bought out by Chicago. Where is he going?  (Read 12492 times)

Re: D Wade bought out by Chicago. Where is he going?
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2017, 03:01:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
If Wade goes to OKC then half of the Melo/Wade/James/Paul fun bunch would already be on one team. 

If Westbrooks decides not to re-sign with OKC, and George goes to LA, then they'd have enough cap space to sign LeBron and perhaps Paul.

It's not LA fun, but those four in OKC would fulfill their dream.
If Wade goes to Cleveland, half would be there also.  And there is no way James is signing with OKC in the off season.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2017, 03:05:19 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
If Wade goes to OKC then half of the Melo/Wade/James/Paul fun bunch would already be on one team. 

If Westbrooks decides not to re-sign with OKC, and George goes to LA, then they'd have enough cap space to sign LeBron and perhaps Paul.

If Wade goes to Cleveland, half would be there also.  And there is no way James is signing with OKC in the off season.
I fail to see how lebron has no chance to go to okc. All these guys are free agents next season and can each take a paycut to fit lebron In

Westbrook/wade/george/Melo/lebron
That could be the starting lineup lol

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2017, 03:29:46 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I fail to see how lebron has no chance to go to okc. All these guys are free agents next season and can each take a paycut to fit lebron In

Because Lebron isn't going to OKC when they can just go to him.

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2017, 03:32:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

How do you know there I no way? He hates the owner in Cleveland and the team has a mess of a salary cap with virtually no improving young players to soften the load on him as he ages.

I'll also add in pretty sure everyone would have said there was "no way" Paul George and Carmelo Anthony would both be playing in OKC this season 4 months ago
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:40:14 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2017, 03:41:01 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

I thought Carmelo's deal goes through 2018-19.  If so, he doesn't have the ability to just "go to Lebron" in Cleveland.  Wade, Paul, and Lebron will have the freedom to go to OKC though.

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2017, 03:47:57 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I thought Carmelo's deal goes through 2018-19.  If so, he doesn't have the ability to just "go to Lebron" in Cleveland.  Wade, Paul, and Lebron will have the freedom to go to OKC though.
Carmelo has a player option for 28M.  So he can opt out and become a free agent. 

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2017, 03:59:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

How do you know there I no way? He hates the owner in Cleveland and the team has a mess of a salary cap with virtually no improving young players to soften the load on him as he ages.

I'll also add in pretty sure everyone would have said there was "no way" Paul George and Carmelo Anthony would both be playing in OKC this season 4 months ago
And Paul George and Carmelo Anthony wouldn't be in OKC if they were free agents.  Trades are funny that way (and yes I know Anthony had a no trade clause, but he was still traded). 

Aside from that, OKC has about 55 million in guaranteed contracts the following year and that is not counting George, Anthony, or Westbrook.  Even if Westbrook and George leave and Anthony opts out, the only way OKC could sign James to a max is if Anthony, Wade, and Paul all signed for right around 10 million combined.  Why would Anthony opt out of 28 million only to re-sign in OKC for peanuts?  Couple that with the shear fact that that team is no where near a contender.  James isn't going there. 

There is no way James will be playing for the Thunder for the 18/19 season.  None at all.

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2017, 04:28:07 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

And Paul George and Carmelo Anthony wouldn't be in OKC if they were free agents.  Trades are funny that way (and yes I know Anthony had a no trade clause, but he was still traded). 

Aside from that, OKC has about 55 million in guaranteed contracts the following year and that is not counting George, Anthony, or Westbrook.  Even if Westbrook and George leave and Anthony opts out, the only way OKC could sign James to a max is if Anthony, Wade, and Paul all signed for right around 10 million combined.  Why would Anthony opt out of 28 million only to re-sign in OKC for peanuts?  Couple that with the shear fact that that team is no where near a contender.  James isn't going there. 

There is no way James will be playing for the Thunder for the 18/19 season.  None at all.

Why do you assume that James would only go there for the max?  If he's friends with all of these guys I see all four (if they can) taking the same amount.  Figure out what salary will be needed for complimentary pieces, and whatever is left (let's say it's $50M) they divide it by four ($12.5M each).

James makes enough money with his other businesses.  He doesn't need to max out his NBA salary any more if his #1 desire is to just play with his buds. 

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2017, 04:35:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Why do you assume that James would only go there for the max?  If he's friends with all of these guys I see all four (if they can) taking the same amount.  Figure out what salary will be needed for complimentary pieces, and whatever is left (let's say it's $50M) they divide it by four ($12.5M each).

James makes enough money with his other businesses.  He doesn't need to max out his NBA salary any more if his #1 desire is to just play with his buds.
James has always made enough money to not take the max and the one time in his career he did that he watched ownership cheap out and let useful role players go over a couple of million dollars.  OKC's ownership has already proved they are cheap and won't spend money.  James will not do that again. 

James will not sign in OKC next summer.  It will not happen.  It is pointless to talk about.

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2017, 08:06:48 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
OKC or Cleveland

or he could pull a hypocrite move and join GSW for the vet min

It would be very funny if he joined The Warriors... It'd be a big middle finger to LeBron! I don't think wade has much left... He looked cooked in last years playoffs!

Did he? I thought he had some good games early on in the playoffs... like 2 of the first 3? Am I making that up? Or do you mean from that point forward he looked cooked?

It would be weird having DWade on the Celtics, I always thought he was a dirty player with a rigged finals MVP (not his fault but I don't like him so I'm putting it out there).

Yeah, he had three solid games against us:

Game 2: 22 PTS, 4 REB, 2 AST, 1 BLK, 9-16 FG
Game 3: 18 PTS, 1 REB, 3 AST, 1 STL, 1 BLK, 6-18 FG
Game 5: 26 PTS, 11 REB, 8 AST, 1 BLK, 7-18 FG

That said he also had 3 very mediocre game against us (11 pots, 11 pts, 2 pts - respectively).

He actually had a pretty strong regular season, putting up 18.3 PTS, 4.5 REB and 3.8 AST and 1.4 STL in only 29.9 MPG.

Remember we're talking about a 35 year old guard here - it's hard to complain about that type of production from him I think, all things considered.  If he is your 3rd or 4th option and you can get if he is your 3rd or 4th option and can give you (worst case) a strong scoring night every 2nd game, then that's a nice player to have. 

Personally, I think he would be best served playing on a team that has a lot of outside shooters - since his three point shot is a bit of a liability, I think he'd be a terrible fit on a team like Cleveland (that will also be starting Rose, Lebron and Tristan Thompson until IT comes back) - the lack of court spacing alone could completely destroy Clevleand, and he's not helping their already so-so defence either.

He'd be a strong fit in OKC - they already have two very capable defensive wings in Westbrook and George who can both shoot from outside, so having Wade in their could be massive for them - I honestly believe this would put OKC above Golden State in my eyes.

He could also work in San Antonio very nicely.  They already have two extremely versatile two-way wings in Rudy-Gay and Kawhi Leonard, as well as two big men who are both quality jump shooters (Gasol and Aldridge) so there's plenty of shooting there.  Wade could potentially play the PG spot there (with Rudy and Kawhi at SG/SF) or they could put Wade at SG (with Rudy at PF and Kawhi at SF), or they could do any varierty of potential lineups really. 

I also still think he'd be a very strong fit in Boston, as we lost our best slasher (Isaiah) and arguably our two toughest competitors (Isaiah and Crowder) - I think Wade could fill that niche nicely on a vet min deal for us, and I think our young prospects could learn a lot from him as a veteran leader. 

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2017, 02:22:05 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I could see okc in play

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2017, 06:57:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I doubt Wade comes here, folks.  I think CLE, MIA and OKC will be bigger draws for him.  LA also.

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2017, 06:59:51 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I don't understand why the Bulls bought him out, they had all of the leverage.  For a team as bad as the Bulls, Wade actually sells tickets for them b/c he's an entertaining draw.  And what would happen if the Bulls said "no, we don't want to buy you out"?  Wade has only a few decent years left, he won't want to toil away or sit out with injury in protest all season... he'd probably accept a much lower buyout.  These teams stink at negotiating..

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2017, 08:15:48 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
I don't understand why the Bulls bought him out, they had all of the leverage.  For a team as bad as the Bulls, Wade actually sells tickets for them b/c he's an entertaining draw.  And what would happen if the Bulls said "no, we don't want to buy you out"?  Wade has only a few decent years left, he won't want to toil away or sit out with injury in protest all season... he'd probably accept a much lower buyout.  These teams stink at negotiating..

Have the terms of the buy out been reported?  I have not seen it.  How do you know that it wasn't a fair buyout?  I agree that Wade wanted out and that the Bulls did have some leverage but I don't think there is enough information to say that the Bulls made a bad deal.

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2017, 08:21:34 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Have the terms of the buy out been reported?  I have not seen it.  How do you know that it wasn't a fair buyout?  I agree that Wade wanted out and that the Bulls did have some leverage but I don't think there is enough information to say that the Bulls made a bad deal.

I believe Woj reported Wade gave up about $8 million, a bit more than a third of his salary.