3 (5%)
Thunder
11 (18.3%)
Celtics
4 (6.7%)
Other team named below
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: D Wade bought out by Chicago. Where is he going?  (Read 12639 times)

Re: D Wade bought out by Chicago. Where is he going?
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2017, 08:37:58 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If Wade goes to OKC then half of the Melo/Wade/James/Paul fun bunch would already be on one team. 

If Westbrooks decides not to re-sign with OKC, and George goes to LA, then they'd have enough cap space to sign LeBron and perhaps Paul.

It's not LA fun, but those four in OKC would fulfill their dream.
If Wade goes to Cleveland, half would be there also.  And there is no way James is signing with OKC in the off season.

How do you know there I no way? He hates the owner in Cleveland and the team has a mess of a salary cap with virtually no improving young players to soften the load on him as he ages.

I'll also add in pretty sure everyone would have said there was "no way" Paul George and Carmelo Anthony would both be playing in OKC this season 4 months ago
And Paul George and Carmelo Anthony wouldn't be in OKC if they were free agents.  Trades are funny that way (and yes I know Anthony had a no trade clause, but he was still traded). 

Aside from that, OKC has about 55 million in guaranteed contracts the following year and that is not counting George, Anthony, or Westbrook.  Even if Westbrook and George leave and Anthony opts out, the only way OKC could sign James to a max is if Anthony, Wade, and Paul all signed for right around 10 million combined.  Why would Anthony opt out of 28 million only to re-sign in OKC for peanuts?  Couple that with the shear fact that that team is no where near a contender.  James isn't going there. 

There is no way James will be playing for the Thunder for the 18/19 season.  None at all.

Lol your answer is pretty similar to a dad saying "because I am your father and told you so." Carmelo Anythiny made them one of 3 teams in the entire NBA he would play for. That shows it was pretty appealing for him. You don't have any idea what Lebron would do or what moves a brilliant owner like Presti could do to clear cap room. You are just stomping your feet cause it would lower the value of all your Lebron fat heads and posters.
It was appealing for Anthony to play with George and Westbrook.  Just like it was appealing to play with James or Harden and Paul.  Anthony wanted to play with "friends" on a team that could contend.  There weren't very many options available that fit that description.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Anthony opt in to that contract and stay in OKC if Russ or PG stays there, but that is no where near the same thing as James going there.  James won't go to OKC.  It financially doesn't make sense and it basketball wise doesn't make sense.

Enlighten me why him playing alongside Westbrook, Anthony and George wouldn't make "basketball sense." You have literally argued this summer how good a fit George and Anthony would be playing next to James in Cleveland (when it seemed they could end up there). Now playing with them in OKC would be a bad fit? Do they use a smaller ball there or something? You really do crack me up on me. What others passions do you have that you get this ridiculous for? We got to start some more threads.
Because George and Westbrook won't be in OKC under the scenario that was presented here.  And if you add Anthony to the mix who is the SF, who is the PF, and what does the other one do.  Unless you somehow think one of them is going to be happy to come off the bench at the MLE or less salary, I don't see why you think that would work.  As is, if OKC keeps George, Westbrook, and Anthony (who opts in) they will have the largest payroll in league history.  There is no way that team can then add James (who will never sign for the taxpayer MLE anyway).

Unless you actually think James will sign in OKC you have been doing nothing but trolling in this thread.  Which is pretty much you m.o.

Pretty sure you are the only person on this board that would call me a troll. To answer your question I could envision Carmelo Anthony taking a very small salary next year to play with his friends whether it be OKC or somewhere else. Carmelo will be 34 then, and barring an unlikely title run for OKC, will be chasing a ring. Many many people have done this kind of thing at the end of their career. I am not sure why you think it is so baffling. Heck Wade definitely signed himself out of more money from Miami or other teams just today!

I think the Thunder could move Adams if they needed to. They may have to add a sweetener, but getting rid of him in a salary dump wouldn't be the worst deal in the NBA. They have a really clear cap sheet aside from that. You give big contracts to PG, Lebron and Westbrook and have Melo making small money. This is hardly pie in the sky stuff.
You actually think Carmelo Anthony is going to opt out of 28 million only to re-sign in OKC for a very small salary.  It will never happen.  He certainly might opt out, but it won't be to stay in OKC.  That is just pure and utter nonsense. 

And even if they move Adams for absolutely no salary, they might not even have room for 2 max contracts, let alone 3.  So unless you actually think George, James, and Westbrook are taking significantly below market value, to play in OKC, then it is once again a nonsensical argument you are making. 

I will say again Lebron James will not sign a free agent contract to play in OKC this summer.  It just will not happen. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
What you don't consider with any of your stats is his situation, carrying two bad teams.  He's never been a shooter and he can shoot volume, but someone had to shoot volume on those teams. Do you know when Wade had the best eFG%'s of his career?  When he was playing on great teams with LeBron.

When he was 5 years younger. He was in his prime with Lebron so of course he should shoot better. The trend seems to be more connected to his age than who he played with.

Why wouldn't that matter?  It's a gigantic part of basketball.

It'll speak for yourself and you'll see this season.  He just has to be healthy.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2017, 10:25:56 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
If Wade goes to OKC then half of the Melo/Wade/James/Paul fun bunch would already be on one team. 

If Westbrooks decides not to re-sign with OKC, and George goes to LA, then they'd have enough cap space to sign LeBron and perhaps Paul.

It's not LA fun, but those four in OKC would fulfill their dream.
If Wade goes to Cleveland, half would be there also.  And there is no way James is signing with OKC in the off season.

How do you know there I no way? He hates the owner in Cleveland and the team has a mess of a salary cap with virtually no improving young players to soften the load on him as he ages.

I'll also add in pretty sure everyone would have said there was "no way" Paul George and Carmelo Anthony would both be playing in OKC this season 4 months ago
And Paul George and Carmelo Anthony wouldn't be in OKC if they were free agents.  Trades are funny that way (and yes I know Anthony had a no trade clause, but he was still traded). 

Aside from that, OKC has about 55 million in guaranteed contracts the following year and that is not counting George, Anthony, or Westbrook.  Even if Westbrook and George leave and Anthony opts out, the only way OKC could sign James to a max is if Anthony, Wade, and Paul all signed for right around 10 million combined.  Why would Anthony opt out of 28 million only to re-sign in OKC for peanuts?  Couple that with the shear fact that that team is no where near a contender.  James isn't going there. 

There is no way James will be playing for the Thunder for the 18/19 season.  None at all.

Lol your answer is pretty similar to a dad saying "because I am your father and told you so." Carmelo Anythiny made them one of 3 teams in the entire NBA he would play for. That shows it was pretty appealing for him. You don't have any idea what Lebron would do or what moves a brilliant owner like Presti could do to clear cap room. You are just stomping your feet cause it would lower the value of all your Lebron fat heads and posters.
It was appealing for Anthony to play with George and Westbrook.  Just like it was appealing to play with James or Harden and Paul.  Anthony wanted to play with "friends" on a team that could contend.  There weren't very many options available that fit that description.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Anthony opt in to that contract and stay in OKC if Russ or PG stays there, but that is no where near the same thing as James going there.  James won't go to OKC.  It financially doesn't make sense and it basketball wise doesn't make sense.

Enlighten me why him playing alongside Westbrook, Anthony and George wouldn't make "basketball sense." You have literally argued this summer how good a fit George and Anthony would be playing next to James in Cleveland (when it seemed they could end up there). Now playing with them in OKC would be a bad fit? Do they use a smaller ball there or something? You really do crack me up on me. What others passions do you have that you get this ridiculous for? We got to start some more threads.
Because George and Westbrook won't be in OKC under the scenario that was presented here.  And if you add Anthony to the mix who is the SF, who is the PF, and what does the other one do.  Unless you somehow think one of them is going to be happy to come off the bench at the MLE or less salary, I don't see why you think that would work.  As is, if OKC keeps George, Westbrook, and Anthony (who opts in) they will have the largest payroll in league history.  There is no way that team can then add James (who will never sign for the taxpayer MLE anyway).

Unless you actually think James will sign in OKC you have been doing nothing but trolling in this thread.  Which is pretty much you m.o.

Pretty sure you are the only person on this board that would call me a troll. To answer your question I could envision Carmelo Anthony taking a very small salary next year to play with his friends whether it be OKC or somewhere else. Carmelo will be 34 then, and barring an unlikely title run for OKC, will be chasing a ring. Many many people have done this kind of thing at the end of their career. I am not sure why you think it is so baffling. Heck Wade definitely signed himself out of more money from Miami or other teams just today!

I think the Thunder could move Adams if they needed to. They may have to add a sweetener, but getting rid of him in a salary dump wouldn't be the worst deal in the NBA. They have a really clear cap sheet aside from that. You give big contracts to PG, Lebron and Westbrook and have Melo making small money. This is hardly pie in the sky stuff.
You actually think Carmelo Anthony is going to opt out of 28 million only to re-sign in OKC for a very small salary.  It will never happen.  He certainly might opt out, but it won't be to stay in OKC.  That is just pure and utter nonsense. 

And even if they move Adams for absolutely no salary, they might not even have room for 2 max contracts, let alone 3.  So unless you actually think George, James, and Westbrook are taking significantly below market value, to play in OKC, then it is once again a nonsensical argument you are making. 

I will say again Lebron James will not sign a free agent contract to play in OKC this summer.  It just will not happen.

First, off this obviously isn't a likely scenario. I have just objected to your "this is impossible!" reaction to something that is probably more likely than the rest of the NBA. I still think is probably 60% Clippers and 5% for 8 other teams including Cleveland (with the Thunder being one of them). I definitely don't think it is crazy to think about Carmelo taking a massive paycut at 34 or 35. Karl Malone took a 17.7 million dollar pay cut to sign with the Lakers (which is probably about the same as 25 million today in terms of NBA salaries. We saw David West opt out of 12 million to take the minimum a few seasons ago (and people thought he was crazy). Dirk signed for pretty dollars despite teams like Houston offering the Max.

As for whether they other players would take mini pay cuts (eg 2-3 million less to all play together). I certainly don't think that is far fetched at all. Perhaps Lebron would be the least likely to do it because of his role in the league and past statements on max contracts. That being said, if his business team comes to him and says we are projecting a big 4 of you Westbrook, Anthony and George will be even more popular than the Miami big 3 and will create x revenue he could do it. I don't think a ton of people thought Durant would pass up 6 million this summer either. I certainly have seen less likely things happen in the NBA and it seems a bit strange to act like I am proposing the pope is actually a woman or something crazy for raising the idea.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:06:28 AM by celticsclay »

« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2017, 11:04:26 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
First, off this obviously isn't a likely scenario. I have just objected to your "this is impossible!" reaction to something that is probably more likely than the rest of the NBA. I still think is probably 60% Clippers and 5% for 8 other teams including Cleveland (with the Thunder being one of them).
Certainly a real chance James leaves Cleveland.  The odds of that or where he will go are certainly up for debate, but he isn't going to OKC.
I definitely don't think Carmelo it is crazy to think about Carmelo taking a massive paycut at 34. Karl Malone took a 17.7 million dollar pay cut to sign with the Lakers (which is probably about the same as 25 million today in terms of NBA salaries. We saw David West opt out of 12 million to take the minimum a few seasons ago (and people thought he was crazy). Dirk signed for pretty dollars despite teams like Houston offering the Max.
Those guys all switched teams or stayed where they were.  They didn't opt out of 28 million to re-sign with the exact same team for peanuts on the dollars.  Again Anthony very well might opt out of his contract and he very well might sign for MLE type money, he just won't do that in OKC. 
As for whether they other players would take mini pay cuts (eg 2-3 million less to all play together). I certainly don't think that is far fetched at all. Perhaps Lebron would be the least likely to do it because of his role in the league and past statements on max contracts. That being said, if his business team comes to him and says we are projecting a big 4 of you Westbrook, Anthony and George will be even more popular than the Miami big 3 and will create x revenue he could do it. I don't think a ton of people thought Durant would pass up 6 million this summer either. I certainly have seen less likely things happen in the NBA and it seems a bit strange to act like I am proposing the pope is actually a woman or something crazy for raising the idea.
If the cap is 102 million (or even 108 million), taking a 3 million pay cut for all of them still means all of them sign for well over 90 million combined.  That isn't possible even if Adams is unloaded in OKC.  They would all need to take very significant pay cuts.  This is not a Miami situation where James, Bosh, and Wade could all take a little less and all sign.  That is just one of the many reasons it will not happen.

« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2017, 11:12:34 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
First, off this obviously isn't a likely scenario. I have just objected to your "this is impossible!" reaction to something that is probably more likely than the rest of the NBA. I still think is probably 60% Clippers and 5% for 8 other teams including Cleveland (with the Thunder being one of them).
Certainly a real chance James leaves Cleveland.  The odds of that or where he will go are certainly up for debate, but he isn't going to OKC.
I definitely don't think Carmelo it is crazy to think about Carmelo taking a massive paycut at 34. Karl Malone took a 17.7 million dollar pay cut to sign with the Lakers (which is probably about the same as 25 million today in terms of NBA salaries. We saw David West opt out of 12 million to take the minimum a few seasons ago (and people thought he was crazy). Dirk signed for pretty dollars despite teams like Houston offering the Max.
Those guys all switched teams or stayed where they were.  They didn't opt out of 28 million to re-sign with the exact same team for peanuts on the dollars.  Again Anthony very well might opt out of his contract and he very well might sign for MLE type money, he just won't do that in OKC. 
If the cap is 102 million (or even 108 million), taking a 3 million pay cut for all of them still means all of them sign for well over 90 million combined.  That isn't possible even if Adams is unloaded in OKC.  They would all need to take very significant pay cuts.  This is not a Miami situation where James, Bosh, and Wade could all take a little less and all sign.  That is just one of the many reasons it will not happen.

Well Dirk did take less money to stay in Dallas. Duncan did take much less money than he could have gotten to stay in San Antonio. I am not sure if there were times it was technically a new contract versus opting out. Obviously it is different because they were taking discounts for places they played for much longer periods of times. Maybe they take 6 million dollar pay cuts each. Who knows. ESPN ran an article talking about what each team had to do to make the Banana boat team work next season. I know it had Houston, New York, Clippers and others.

I hope you went over on that article and told them they were so crazy to even ponder the possibility of it having on each team. OKC has made themselves a player in a player in all of this.

Nobody thought they would enter the season with George or Anthony, let alone both. They weren't mentioned as an Anthony possibility until about 5 days ago. If they mesh really well on the court and making a finals run I really expect some players to consider joining them as a super team.

« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2017, 11:42:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Well Dirk did take less money to stay in Dallas. Duncan did take much less money than he could have gotten to stay in San Antonio. I am not sure if there were times it was technically a new contract versus opting out. Obviously it is different because they were taking discounts for places they played for much longer periods of times. Maybe they take 6 million dollar pay cuts each. Who knows. ESPN ran an article talking about what each team had to do to make the Banana boat team work next season. I know it had Houston, New York, Clippers and others.

I hope you went over on that article and told them they were so crazy to even ponder the possibility of it having on each team. OKC has made themselves a player in a player in all of this.

Nobody thought they would enter the season with George or Anthony, let alone both. They weren't mentioned as an Anthony possibility until about 5 days ago. If they mesh really well on the court and making a finals run I really expect some players to consider joining them as a super team.
The banana boat team is Anthony, James, Paul, and Wade so of course the ESPN article looked at teams that had one of them and other teams that would have a bunch of space.  If Anthony opts in OKC won't land James, Paul, and Wade.  If Anthony opts out, it is to leave OKC not stay there for peanuts.  I could certainly see the banana boat team coming together on the Lakers or Cavs (though Chris Paul would be a tough one for them to acquire since Cleveland can't do a sign and trade for him) and perhaps some other team like the Rockets (though acquiring James will be difficult for them), but it won't be in OKC.

« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2017, 01:29:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

The banana boat team is Anthony, James, Paul, and Wade so of course the ESPN article looked at teams that had one of them and other teams that would have a bunch of space.  If Anthony opts in OKC won't land James, Paul, and Wade.  If Anthony opts out, it is to leave OKC not stay there for peanuts.  I could certainly see the banana boat team coming together on the Lakers or Cavs (though Chris Paul would be a tough one for them to acquire since Cleveland can't do a sign and trade for him) and perhaps some other team like the Rockets (though acquiring James will be difficult for them), but it won't be in OKC.

Cool. We can just not worry about the season or moves and you can tell us what is possible and what isn't with no reason beyond what you "can see." It is also great that you know what Carmelo will or will not do regarding his contract with 100% certainty despite a lengthy history of players give up 5-20 million dollars to stay in a situation they find more appealing.
What an unproductive conversation.

« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2017, 02:29:02 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Fake: sorry about that.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:04:54 PM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2017, 02:41:34 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2017, 02:44:25 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Ouch.

https://instagram.com/p/BZhO_xQnGvx/

Is that an actual quote from Kyrie?

I was just wondering the same thing.  Where does this quote actually come from?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2017, 03:58:07 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Ouch.

https://instagram.com/p/BZhO_xQnGvx/

Is that an actual quote from Kyrie?

I was just wondering the same thing.  Where does this quote actually come from?

sorry forgot to add what I did on RGM, I don't know if it's real, waiting to see a video. just saw it and figured I'd share it. I hope it isn't real tbh.

Edit; It's fake. My bad.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:04:02 PM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2017, 04:18:50 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
This Cavs team is going to struggle with spacing until IT gets back. The Rose, Wade, James, Love, and TT lineup only averaged 5 threes a game combined last season, which is crazy given that Cavs' team identity the last several years.

http://twitter.com/RickNoland/status/913475795397603328

And that's not even considering that unit's complete lack of defense.  :o

« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2017, 04:27:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
This Cavs team is going to struggle with spacing until IT gets back. The Rose, Wade, James, Love, and TT lineup only averaged 5 threes a game combined last season, which is crazy given that Cavs' team identity the last several years.

That is made 3's of course.  Love shot over 6 a game and made at 37.3%, James was over 4.5 attempts at 36.3%, Rose shot less than 1 a game was a terrible 21.7%, and Wade was at 2.4 attempts but hit a career best 31% (Thompson didn't shoot any 3's - well he shot 3 all year).  If Wade starts, that means they add Smith to the bench and that is where all the shooters are with Smith, Korver, Frye, Crowder, etc.

« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2017, 04:31:19 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

That is made 3's of course.  Love shot over 6 a game and made at 37.3%, James was over 4.5 attempts at 36.3%, Rose shot less than 1 a game was a terrible 21.7%, and Wade was at 2.4 attempts but hit a career best 31% (Thompson didn't shoot any 3's - well he shot 3 all year).  If Wade starts, that means they add Smith to the bench and that is where all the shooters are with Smith, Korver, Frye, Crowder, etc.

Are these adjusted for climate differences across cities?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2017, 04:37:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I honestly find it funny how the media sees this Wade signing and thinks it actually puts them at or very close to Golden State level  :laugh:

Not even joking, you can see the videos or watch an ESPN segment later today, it's actually a belief now.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller