Author Topic: Jayson Tatum's defence is reaaallly going to need some work  (Read 6689 times)

Re: Jayson Tatum's defence is reaaallly going to need some work
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 01:28:16 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
He is a rookie and he needs strength so he will have to do a lot of work.   But the OP misrepresented the reasons by hinting that he lacks the athletic ability to play in the league which is not true.

I agree with this line of thought.  Almost any rookie is going to have a learning curve to play D at the NBA level.  Getting stronger for his size / height will help a lot.  He has the physical tools and the bbiq to be a good defender.  Patience Patience Patience....

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 01:42:32 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Few clips from a previous 1 v 1 workout, he looks very flat footed and slow.

https://youtu.be/oGB1V0iesDs?t=2m13s

That really was ugly. But he has all the tools to get better. 

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 02:26:14 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
While he dose need work on that end(not many rookies don't), Stevens said he was really impressed how much better he had gotten at D during the summer league.

Which means, he knows it's a weakness, and he's working on it, and he's getting results. Brown had an edge last season were he could play really solid to great D, but his offense was lacking in the beginning.

Tatum might have solid to good offense, but lacking on the defensive end. But coming off the bench, he should get playing time unless he really stinks it up. They'll need some scoring off the bench and as long as he can play solid D and stay with in schemes, he should be fine.

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 03:07:47 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Sheesh. 3 or 4 sets from a summer workout with two high quality multiyear vets. In high one on one plays. With clips where guys missed, edited out.

I'm not saying he doesn't need work on his defensive footwork, but this is not a good reference for showing his specific weaknesses.
Seriously.  It's an offensive highlight reel.  Everyone is beating everyone yet Tatum is the one that looks bad?  Wuh?

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 05:04:15 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
He had just comeoff a 7 hr plane flight-if you heard him at start of his portion of tape

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 05:16:19 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Few clips from a previous 1 v 1 workout, he looks very flat footed and slow.

https://youtu.be/oGB1V0iesDs?t=2m13s

Telling it like it is.  Thanks Howard.

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2017, 05:55:06 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548
Its gonna be interesting, I think there's a chance he gets less playing time than we expect just because this team now has more guys (Irving, Hayward, Horford somewhat, a little bit Morris) that can got out and et themselves a shot meaning Tatum's skill set is less needed. Of course he'll still get playing time because much of our depth is gone but it might be less than expected if is defense is bad.

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2017, 06:27:48 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
Its gonna be interesting, I think there's a chance he gets less playing time than we expect just because this team now has more guys (Irving, Hayward, Horford somewhat, a little bit Morris) that can got out and et themselves a shot meaning Tatum's skill set is less needed. Of course he'll still get playing time because much of our depth is gone but it might be less than expected if is defense is bad.

I hope there are plenty of garbage time minutes this year because we blow a lot of teams out.

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2017, 07:11:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Tatum offense very advanced for his age. I expect him to get more minutes than Brown got last rookie season. Who else on 2nd unit can create his own shot so well? 

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2017, 07:33:04 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Tatum offense very advanced for his age. I expect him to get more minutes than Brown got last rookie season. Who else on 2nd unit can create his own shot so well?

This.

I expect Smart to also come off the bench. When the first unit sits, I expect a nice balance with the second unit.

Smart
Rozier
Tatum
Yabu
Semi

That's a versatile line up with Tatum as their primary scorer.

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 08:59:01 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616

This.

I expect Smart to also come off the bench. When the first unit sits, I expect a nice balance with the second unit.

Smart
Rozier
Tatum
Yabu
Semi

That lineup is awesome. Not sure we go with three rookies on the court at any one time though, except garbage.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 09:04:26 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

This.

Smart
Rozier
Tatum
Yabu
Semi

Baynes is the backup center.

Not only is Semi not a center, but hes not nearly as good as Baynes.

Tatum and Rozier are the primary sources of scoring for the bench.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2017, 09:14:58 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

This.

Smart
Rozier
Tatum
Yabu
Semi

Baynes is the backup center.

Not only is Semi not a center, but hes not nearly as good as Baynes.

Tatum and Rozier are the primary sources of scoring for the bench.

Baynes could actually start, ala Amir against bigger lineups. If Brad goes to more floor spacing and small ball, Semi is the guy.

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2017, 09:38:21 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

This.

Smart
Rozier
Tatum
Yabu
Semi

that is a very nice second string lineup. though i expect that some combo of Thies and Baynes would be there in place of either yabu or semi. that would add at least some more experience to a very very young group.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2017, 10:29:43 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
He is not about defense.

My guess is, if Tatum can gain proficiency on defense at a similar rate as Jaylen Brown (who was ineffective on defense for at least the first half of last season), he'll be ok. He appears to be more fluid and coordinated than Brown and perhaps, this will help as he learns Celtic's defense.

I reiterate, he will never be on the floor as a "defensive player." Rozier and Smart struggle on offense, but, help win games. Tatum will hit the shot that wins the above games...and the Celtics will need those shots.