Author Topic: Jayson Tatum's defence is reaaallly going to need some work  (Read 6711 times)

Jayson Tatum's defence is reaaallly going to need some work
« on: September 24, 2017, 05:20:38 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Few clips from a previous 1 v 1 workout, he looks very flat footed and slow.

https://youtu.be/oGB1V0iesDs?t=2m13s

Re: Jayson Tatum's defence is reaaallly going to need some work
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 05:57:03 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Sheesh. 3 or 4 sets from a summer workout with two high quality multiyear vets. In high one on one plays. With clips where guys missed, edited out.

I'm not saying he doesn't need work on his defensive footwork, but this is not a good reference for showing his specific weaknesses.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 06:10:24 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Celtics will do alot of switching. Im not too worried about his defense. It'll be good enough in time. He have shown potential and have the tools to become a solid defender.

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 07:41:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

If this truly was the case, how did he play D1 basketball at a pretty high level.  Real slow and flat footed usually do not play SF at the D1 level, they can play PF and C but at SF your playing some of the best athletes in the game.

First of all, I don't agree with your assessment.   There were part of the film that had a different speed than others.   I don't know if you realized this but a good deal of the Tatum footage was slowed down.  These were guys not going at it 100%.  They were not sweating profusely and were not trying to go 100% to win, it looked like a very casual game to me.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 08:18:58 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Your mistake is basing an opinion on a handful of clips.

When you look at a limited subset, you have to look for little things that stand out. Being caught flatfooted a couple of times is not one of those little things. But the video does show a few things that he does well.

For example look at how he extends his elbow at 3:38 of the video to create space, drives the lane and effortlessly switches hands to the left for the layup. That's the kind of thing you look for in a short video because that shows some pretty advanced technique. 
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 08:42:35 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
He seems FINE to me!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4d-ICTOqBo

What really stands out to me is his REACH!!!!  Really long arms that more than make up for average lateral speed.

Smitty77

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 08:46:43 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Duke was a lousy defensive team last season and Tatum was part of the problem but they had a lot of poor defenders.  If you watched any Duke games last season that was obvious.  Tatum will definitely be a defensive liability this season so it will be interesting to see how many minutes he gets. 

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 09:01:45 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
He seems FINE to me!!!

What really stands out to me is his REACH!!!!  Really long arms that more than make up for average lateral speed.

Smitty77
Tatum is reported to have a 6'11" wingspan which is rather average for an NBA player of his height. 

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 10:14:24 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I tried to find a video of Jayson's three blocks, one an impressive chase down Lebron style block in one ACC tourney game.

But, I could not locate it.

Smitty77

P.S.  My point is that he CAN bring it when he WANTS to.  It is NOT that he can NOT play D!!!!

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I tried to find a video of Jayson's three blocks, one an impressive chase down Lebron style block in one ACC tourney game.

But, I could not locate it.

Smitty77

P.S.  My point is that he CAN bring it when he WANTS to.  It is NOT that he can NOT play D!!!!
Blocks can be impressive but they do not constitute playing good D.  If it did, Fultz would have been considered a great defender in this draft.  Good D is about footwork, positioning, awareness, communication, ....  I didn't see anything in Tatum's college play to show he could become a good defender.  I'll temper that because Duke was a really, really bad defensive team so Tatum might develop in a better environment.  I'm hoping he eventually develops into an average defender but that will take time. 

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 11:31:42 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
It's getting kind of ridiculous seeing all these posts about rookies struggling on defense early and "needing a lot of work".

Guys, THEY HAVEN'T PLAYED A SINGLE NBA MINUTE YET.

Do you seriously expect them to be Kawhi Leonard right out of the gate on defense?  ::)

How's Fultz defense right now? Lonzo's?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 12:13:24 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
It's getting kind of ridiculous seeing all these posts about rookies struggling on defense early and "needing a lot of work".

Do you seriously expect them to be Kawhi Leonard right out of the gate on defense?  ::)

Less ridiculous than all the posts hyping Tatum's summer league play.  All players need work coming into the NBA but it is good to have a realistic view of where they currently are at.  James Young, clearly a lot less talented than Tatum, got plenty of hype on here but then reality hit and he couldn't get on the court to a large degree because of his poor defense.  That was when we were barely a playoff team.  Now we're trying to be a contender so how much will Tatum's minutes be limited if he displays similarly poor defense?   

You must have missed all the posts deriding Ball because of his poor defense in college.  Same goes for Ben Simmons.  Fultz of course was a special case.  When we had the #1 pick and everyone thought it would be Fultz, there were a lot of posts on his size and defensive potential disregarding his actual poor defense in college.  Once the trade happened, all the Tatum hyped started and Fultz's defensive deficiencies came to the forefront as well as the nonsense about him not being a winner.   

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 12:29:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is a rookie and he needs strength so he will have to do a lot of work.   But the OP misrepresented the reasons by hinting that he lacks the athletic ability to play in the league which is not true.

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 12:38:42 PM »

Offline dweeks7

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
If you notice in the video nobody misses a shot and it's obvious they are playing half speed and not really trying to stop each other from scoring. Another thing that tells me Jayson will be fine is a couple of comments I read.

Number one is that Brad Stevens said he was surprised by Jayson's defense in summer league and another NBA GM said he was surprised at how good Tatum's defense is.

He will be an above average defender and I believe he will be a plus defender. Watch and see.  ;)

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 12:45:09 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Less ridiculous than all the posts hyping Tatum's summer league play.  All players need work coming into the NBA but it is good to have a realistic view of where they currently are at.  James Young, clearly a lot less talented than Tatum, got plenty of hype on here but then reality hit and he couldn't get on the court to a large degree because of his poor defense.  That was when we were barely a playoff team.  Now we're trying to be a contender so how much will Tatum's minutes be limited if he displays similarly poor defense?   

You must have missed all the posts deriding Ball because of his poor defense in college.  Same goes for Ben Simmons.  Fultz of course was a special case.  When we had the #1 pick and everyone thought it would be Fultz, there were a lot of posts on his size and defensive potential disregarding his actual poor defense in college.  Once the trade happened, all the Tatum hyped started and Fultz's defensive deficiencies came to the forefront as well as the nonsense about him not being a winner.

Yes, fans overlook deficiencies in players on their home teams and tend to see more warts on players from other teams.  I think that is just human nature.