Author Topic: A moment to praise Lebron  (Read 7419 times)

Re: A moment to praise Lebron
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 02:54:23 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Jeez, all these nitpickers! Not to sound like that ol' grampa telling kids how good they have it, but ya'll should appreciate that so many influential people are choosing to stand up for what they believe in, Lebron included! Not to derail the thread into a political debate but in the Philippines, nobody is speaking up. Only the little guys stand up for the little guys because everyone who has a shred of influence is either bought, or scared, or silenced. What I'd give to have a "Lebron James" for the PH.

Sorry, I'm just upset right now. But props to Lebron. I got mad respect for what he said and that he's using his platform to spread a message beyond basketball.
- LilRip

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 05:05:18 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
It's making me p---ed off because I hate saying good things about Lebron. I already liked Curry.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 07:33:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I still think Jordan has the greatest career resume but Lebron is up there with Bill Russell as the greatest human in the leagues superstar ranks.

Sounds like if LeBron stopped walking someone would be choking on you know what....

To each his own, I think you're a poor judge of character who is not bothered by rampant egotism and doesn't know a coward when you see one.  Not to mention a closet CAVs fan.  JK  But that doesn't make me right or you wrong.  So given your name and this thread, I think you're a little biases towards LeBron, eh?

But your way off base compaing LeBron to Bill Russell.  Bill Russell was a civil rights advocate, LeBron 90% of the time, is a LeBron Advocate that is a pretty big difference.

Despite his fierce dedication to basketball during his career as a player and coach, Bill Russell was keenly aware that there was a world beyond the court. Beginning in the late 1950s, he was an active participant in the struggle by American blacks for full civil rights. Early in his career Russell charged the NBA with maintaining a de facto quota system which limited the number of blacks on each team. In 1963, at the height of the civil rights struggle in the American South, he accepted, uneasily and at great personal risk to himself, a request to travel to Jackson, Mississippi, to organize and lead integrated basketball clinics. Russell was one of the few professional athletes in the United States, black or white, to speak out on civil rights in such a dramatic way in the 1960s. Around the same time, he was the target of racist attacks when he bought a home in white suburban Boston.

Bill Russell has taken stands that have been controversial among fans. For example, he refuses to sign autographs, preferring to shake hands and speak directly to fans and well-wishers. Russell resisted having his number retired by the Celtics in 1972, until Red Auerbach agreed to hold the ceremony without any fans present. In 1974 when he became the first black to be elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame, Russell at first refused to accept the honor. "Aside from racism or my own feelings about the cheers and boos in sports, I don't respect it [the Basketball Hall of Fame] as an institution," he wrote in Second Wind. "Its standards are not high enough. It's too political, too self-serving." He was inducted despite his objections.

http://sports.jrank.org/pages/4110/Russell-Bill-Civil-Rights-Advocate.html

More here

http://massmentors.org/content/bill-russell%E2%80%99s-legend-champion-matched-only-his-advocacy-human-rights-and-mentoring

LeBron has done nothing like this folks.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:43:01 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 07:57:56 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I love watching Lebron on the court.

Off the court, I feel like he offers a shallow perspective. I've never felt like he's his "own man". On one hand, he'll probably eventually be a billionaire and has a giant platform. On the other, he's been very insulated and seemingly has no more than a surface level idea of important issues.

Billionaire + shallow understanding + big platform+ giant ego? Maybe he'll be President some day.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 08:10:07 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
On the court, he's been nothing but incredible as arguably the most complete player in NBA history. He has gone to the NBA Finals 8 times, including carrying perhaps the most untalented team in history to the finals (06-07 Cleveland). He has lost against some great teams there but still won 3 Finals to go along with four NBA Most Valuable Player Awards, three NBA Finals MVP Awards, two Olympic gold medals, an NBA scoring title, and the NBA Rookie of the Year Award. On the court he's a professional. Some people say he whines at the refs, but so do most of the great ones.

Off the court Lebron has been a model citizen. His charity sent 1,100 kids to college in 2015. His one misstep was the public reaction to the "decision" which was a PR issue, not an attitude issue. His teammates have universally praised him for being a great locker room influence. He's not particularly outspoken on many political issues but that's fine. He doesn't have to be. I don't compare him with Civil Rights leaders like Russell, Jim Brown or Ali. But he's supportive of those who are willing to be more outspoken and that counts for something.

I understand the Lebron hate. It's jealousy. But in a few years when he retires, he'll be considered the best player of his generation without any real debate. Appreciate him while you can, folks...because you'll be telling your grandchildren, "I watched Lebron play".
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 09:06:02 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Billionaire + shallow understanding + big platform+ giant ego? Maybe he'll be President some day.

Please give me a break with this comparison given recent events.  Ridiculous.  LeBron isn't an open racist and he's a good person.

He's never had problems off the court and his teammates love him.  Still have to find a way to bash him though, even when there is someone as disgusting as Trump we are talking about here.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2017, 09:16:25 AM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7

Please give me a break with this comparison given recent events.  Ridiculous.  LeBron isn't an open racist and he's a good person.

He's never had problems off the court and his teammates love him.  Still have to find a way to bash him though, even when there is someone as disgusting as Trump we are talking about here.

Disgusting is your own negative perception

It's disrespect to everyone who supports Trump, and now dislikes LeBron (a lot who pay to see him)

Trump isn't a open racist either, that's your bias

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2017, 09:18:41 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I still think Jordan has the greatest career resume but Lebron is up there with Bill Russell as the greatest human in the leagues superstar ranks.

Sounds like if LeBron stopped walking someone would be choking on you know what....

To each his own, I think you're a poor judge of character who is not bothered by rampant egotism and doesn't know a coward when you see one.  Not to mention a closet CAVs fan.  JK  But that doesn't make me right or you wrong.  So given your name and this thread, I think you're a little biases towards LeBron, eh?

But your way off base compaing LeBron to Bill Russell.  Bill Russell was a civil rights advocate, LeBron 90% of the time, is a LeBron Advocate that is a pretty big difference.

Despite his fierce dedication to basketball during his career as a player and coach, Bill Russell was keenly aware that there was a world beyond the court. Beginning in the late 1950s, he was an active participant in the struggle by American blacks for full civil rights. Early in his career Russell charged the NBA with maintaining a de facto quota system which limited the number of blacks on each team. In 1963, at the height of the civil rights struggle in the American South, he accepted, uneasily and at great personal risk to himself, a request to travel to Jackson, Mississippi, to organize and lead integrated basketball clinics. Russell was one of the few professional athletes in the United States, black or white, to speak out on civil rights in such a dramatic way in the 1960s. Around the same time, he was the target of racist attacks when he bought a home in white suburban Boston.

Bill Russell has taken stands that have been controversial among fans. For example, he refuses to sign autographs, preferring to shake hands and speak directly to fans and well-wishers. Russell resisted having his number retired by the Celtics in 1972, until Red Auerbach agreed to hold the ceremony without any fans present. In 1974 when he became the first black to be elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame, Russell at first refused to accept the honor. "Aside from racism or my own feelings about the cheers and boos in sports, I don't respect it [the Basketball Hall of Fame] as an institution," he wrote in Second Wind. "Its standards are not high enough. It's too political, too self-serving." He was inducted despite his objections.

http://sports.jrank.org/pages/4110/Russell-Bill-Civil-Rights-Advocate.html

More here

http://massmentors.org/content/bill-russell%E2%80%99s-legend-champion-matched-only-his-advocacy-human-rights-and-mentoring

LeBron has done nothing like this folks.

+10000 it makes me embarassed as a Celtics fan to see him lumped in with Bill Russell as caliber of person.

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2017, 09:32:21 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I love watching Lebron on the court.

Off the court, I feel like he offers a shallow perspective. I've never felt like he's his "own man". On one hand, he'll probably eventually be a billionaire and has a giant platform. On the other, he's been very insulated and seemingly has no more than a surface level idea of important issues.

I'd argue the important issues of today are rather shallow compared to the 50s and 60s in America.  Kaepernick is looked at like as some kind of racial justice hero for not standing for the pledge.  What a joke.  Don't particularly like Lebron but he is definitely his own man.  He's just doing so within the system. 

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2017, 09:53:40 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Disgusting is your own negative perception

It's disrespect to everyone who supports Trump, and now dislikes LeBron (a lot who pay to see him)

Trump isn't a open racist either, that's your bias
I don't think Trump is a racist.  There just not much substance to Trump.  He's an egomaniac and an narcissist who is willing to do anything, including playing up to racists, to feed his ego and get ahead. 

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 09:55:33 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Does Lebron really do any more work in the community or speak out about social injustice than any other athlete does? I really don't think so. Because of his world wide fame, yes, he raises more money for charity than most athletes, but I am not sure he speaks out on social issues or does any more work in his community than most other athletes.

I commend him for all he does for others but I won't compare what he does to what Bill Russell had to do in a more hostile environment and time. Nor will I praise Lebron any more than other athletes who do work for charities, who take stances on social issues and who work in their communities.

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 10:08:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Does Lebron really do any more work in the community or speak out about social injustice than any other athlete does? I really don't think so. Because of his world wide fame, yes, he raises more money for charity than most athletes, but I am not sure he speaks out on social issues or does any more work in his community than most other athletes.

I commend him for all he does for others but I won't compare what he does to what Bill Russell had to do in a more hostile environment and time. Nor will I praise Lebron any more than other athletes who do work for charities, who take stances on social issues and who work in their communities.
Yes he does.  James is probably the most socially active athlete of the era.  He does a lot of things. 

SI even put a list out there a little while ago (I'm sure there are other things not on the list)

https://www.si.com/nba/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-social-political-activism#
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2017, 11:19:12 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
It's just so ignorant to compare somebody worth hundreds of millions of dollars, who has been coddled his entire life and goes everywhere with an entourage and armed body guards  with players who lived through segregation and an outwardly and open  racist society.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2017, 11:42:37 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It's just so ignorant to compare somebody worth hundreds of millions of dollars, who has been coddled his entire life and goes everywhere with an entourage and armed body guards  with players who lived through segregation and an outwardly and open  racist society.
I wwouldn't call it ignorant but it is a poor comparison

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2017, 12:06:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I wwouldn't call it ignorant but it is a poor comparison

If people were educated on what those pioneers went through - I.e., not ignorant - they wouldn't make them.