Author Topic: A moment to praise Lebron  (Read 7417 times)

Re: A moment to praise Lebron
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2017, 12:34:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yes he does.  James is probably the most socially active athlete of the era.  He does a lot of things. 

SI even put a list out there a little while ago (I'm sure there are other things not on the list)

https://www.si.com/nba/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-social-political-activism#

That list is still pretty light compared to Bill Russell's and civil rights, no?

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2017, 01:25:30 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I agree, I give Lebron some props.  I am not his biggest fan either, but when he posted the video and in his own words, not a tweet, stood up for what he thinks is right.  That impressed me. 

I don't really think it is fair to compare him with Russell or Kareem or any of the guys that were at ground zero in the 60's civil rights era.  Lebron doesn't choose what era he is born into, like all of us he only gets to choose how he responds and what he does.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 01:33:42 PM by blink »

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2017, 02:41:58 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Frankly, I'm sick of pampered millionaires who enjoy the fat of the land pretending as though America is a land of stark raving lunatic racists.

SJW-losers are pushing me to the point of dropping the NFL, and the NBA probably isn't far behind.

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2017, 02:55:24 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Frankly, I'm sick of pampered millionaires who enjoy the fat of the land pretending as though America is a land of stark raving lunatic racists.

SJW-losers are pushing me to the point of dropping the NFL, and the NBA probably isn't far behind.

People are not pretending that America is racist. America is racist. If you want to point fingers at a rich orange, pampered, baby who is cracking the country in half I think we can already seem him clearly! Trump is calling for a boycott of American businesses that don't out source to China. Trump still does business with China for all his clothing lines and daughter's clothing lines. That is what should be being boycotted!

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/MadeInAmerica/made-america-tackles-super-bowl/story?id=15471499

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2017, 03:24:57 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Nobody is saying that everyone in America is racist. That would be as ridiculous as claiming that no one in America is racist. Ignoring the issue isn't going to make it go away, and neither will punishing people (some of which have actually been affected by it) who speak out
I'm bitter.

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2017, 03:44:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Yes he does.  James is probably the most socially active athlete of the era.  He does a lot of things. 

SI even put a list out there a little while ago (I'm sure there are other things not on the list)

https://www.si.com/nba/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-social-political-activism#

That list is still pretty light compared to Bill Russell's and civil rights, no?
of course. Different era,  different social injustice
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2017, 04:02:04 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Nobody is saying that everyone in America is racist. That would be as ridiculous as claiming that no one in America is racist. Ignoring the issue isn't going to make it go away, and neither will punishing people (some of which have actually been affected by it) who speak out
Sure they are. Just look at the preceding post. BLM says it all the time.  The media pushes the racist narrative a lot.  America is objectively the least racist than it ever has been.  It takes a distortion of the term and blinders to history to say otherwise. 

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2017, 04:09:47 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Sure they are. Just look at the preceding post. BLM says it all the time.  The media pushes the racist narrative a lot.  America is objectively the least racist than it ever has been.  It takes a distortion of the term and blinders to history to say otherwise.

I am wondering what you are using to measure the amount of racism currently in America and what was used to measure  past racism? I observe a large amount of racism every day taking place in this country and have observed a large amount my whole life. I have not seen any objective method for measuring racism, please let me know if there is one.

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2017, 04:25:31 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

If the media is fueling more racism, then how can America be objectively the least racist it's ever been?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2017, 04:31:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I am wondering what you are using to measure the amount of racism currently in America and what was used to measure  past racism? I observe a large amount of racism every day taking place in this country and have observed a large amount my whole life. I have not seen any objective method for measuring racism, please let me know if there is one.

Some would be:

Explicitly racist laws;
Government-enforced segregation;
The prevelance of racist speech;
Societal norms toward racism (how taboo it is)
The representation of various races in popular media;
Whether the U.S. is "ready" for a black President

There are tons of others. I accept that there is racism and prejudice in America. I don't believe there is a credible argument that America is more racist now than in the 50s, 60s, 70s, etc., and certainly not before then.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2017, 04:44:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Note that some of the things Bill Russell did could have got him killed.  None of the things LeBron did took real courage because most of them were the social stance of society and there was zero danger to him physically. 

To me this is the big difference, I do this and I could die for my beliefs vs. I do this because most of the people think this way and it is expected of me. 

Racism is alive and well, I suspect it will be until the teens and adults in their 20s today come to the fore.   

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2017, 12:09:24 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Note that some of the things Bill Russell did could have got him killed.  None of the things LeBron did took real courage because most of them were the social stance of society and there was zero danger to him physically. 

To me this is the big difference, I do this and I could die for my beliefs vs. I do this because most of the people think this way and it is expected of me. 

Racism is alive and well, I suspect it will be until the teens and adults in their 20s today come to the fore.

100% with you on this. Lebron seems like a fine person, especially by professional athlete standards where there has been a lot of negative events. Lebron is a business man and he cares far more about that than social justice. As I said earlier in the thread comparing his actions and words to Russell's are embarrassing. It is a completely different level and disrespectful to the things Russell did

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2017, 07:08:25 AM »

Offline jackpercussion

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
I think Trump (who I support) should stay out of sports commentary and athletes should stay away from commenting about politics.  Very simple concept. 

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2017, 07:13:42 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I've always thought Lebron, like most with his level of celebrity, gets more criticism than is really warranted. I've never had a problem with him or his game. And I do think it's nice to see an athlete who seems to take the idea that he's a role model seriously.

So yeah, good on him.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2017, 04:08:07 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I think Trump (who I support) should stay out of sports commentary and athletes should stay away from commenting about politics.  Very simple concept.
Why should athletes not have an opinion about politics? I have no problem with them being political as long as they know there are consequences for saying things.
Peace through Tyranny