Author Topic: Could Joakim Noah be a Buyout Candidate?  (Read 3815 times)

Could Joakim Noah be a Buyout Candidate?
« on: September 23, 2017, 05:53:05 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The Knicks now have Joakim, Enes Kanter, and Willy Herangomez vying for time at center to play next to Kristaps. Given his injury history and his age, could he be on the buyout watch list?

And of course... If he is, do the C's make a run at him?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Re: Could Joakim Noah be a Buyout Candidate?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 06:00:50 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Cooked.

But yes, a buyout candidate.

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 06:45:40 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Thought he had more good years left but maybe he's truly broken down.

Knicks have to clean house now.

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 07:03:42 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Where would get the minutes? I would believe he will go to a team that'll allow him to play more.

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 07:05:12 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Where would get the minutes? I would believe he will go to a team that'll allow him to play more.

I'm going with a young team that needs a veteran leader in the locker room. LA?

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 07:06:58 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
32 isn't too old. He seems pretty washed but even last year with the Knicks his rebound rate was 21.4. He's a smart passer and smart rebounder. If he could be had for the minimum after a buyout and was able to stay on the floor for 15 minutes a night, sure. All the same reasons Bogut would've worked. With all of the same concerns.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 07:13:33 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

I'm going with a young team that needs a veteran leader in the locker room. LA?

They have Bogut.

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 07:51:12 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I'd love Noah off our bench on a vet min contract. He'd be great in practice and in the locker room at 15ish minutes a game if he's healthy.

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 08:22:24 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Noah has something like $55 million guaranteed over the next three years. Hard to see how NY could possibly find an agreeable price for a buyout with Noah right now.

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 08:25:11 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Noah has something like $55 million guaranteed over the next three years. Hard to see how NY could possibly find an agreeable price for a buyout with Noah right now.

Given that they're NY and swimming in money, almost anything much lower than that would probably be fine with them.

And I agree with others, he'd be great as a backup big that we don't ask too much of. Better than Bogut at this point, though comparably fragile.

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 08:59:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Noah is a quality vet and if he is bought out should be a top priority to sign. Question is when will he be bought out. Hopefully sooner rather than later. If healthy Noah would bring more inside toughness and he might be the 2nd best passing center in the league after Horford.

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 09:16:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
And I agree with others, he'd be great as a backup big that we don't ask too much of. Better than Bogut at this point, though comparably fragile.

Is that something that is verifiable? Noah last year, sure asked to do too much, but was outplayed by every other center on the rooster.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 09:17:10 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736

Given that they're NY and swimming in money, almost anything much lower than that would probably be fine with them.

Yeah, I think NY probably could just buy him out. The question would be why? They're not going anywhere anytime soon, he might as well stay on an teach the kids about the NBA for a few seasons.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 09:24:15 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Yeah, I think NY probably could just buy him out. The question would be why? They're not going anywhere anytime soon, he might as well stay on an teach the kids about the NBA for a few seasons.

That's not what he signed up for. Maybe he'll be fine with a mentor role, but he comes off as a competitive guy. I can't imagine he'd want to waste whatever basketball he has left in him riding the bench for a surefire lottery team.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 11:16:59 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I think the most likely incentives would be:

- Save a little $
- Open up a roster spot
- Noah won't be happy
- Favor to an agent

And because they're the Knicks, the top reason is of course the chance to spend that money all over again on another terrible contract