Author Topic: Woj Bomb: Melo to OKC  (Read 12552 times)

Re: Woj Bomb: Melo to OKC
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2017, 08:00:56 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I love this move by OKC.  I think the fit make sense - if there is one thing Melo can do it is shoot and he will get TONS of open looks with Westbrook and PG on the floor.

Really a great test for Westbrook to see if he can go from the MVP he was last year to a facilitator.

« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2017, 08:07:38 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
this is a nothing move imo. I've long felt Anthony is overrated... because he is. this is just a name being moved, a name who's living off his college career. there is no substance to Anthony's game, for all the points he scores his team is worse off.

and he's a coach killer.

"Living off his college career"

This has to be a joke.

what has he done in the NBA?

he forced his way out of Denver(a good team at the time) to go to New York... just because it's "New York". and then when he gets there, he does nothing. and the argument is always "he had no teammates". well, ya know what? Pierce "had no teammates" either and took a bunch of scrubs to the eastern conference finals. sure the east was weak then... just like it was during melo's tenure so how many excuses are we going to make for the guy?

it seems like most people still tootin the melo horn are the ones that claimed long ago that he was going to be great are the ones that are still holding onto their prediction, just because they don't want to be proven wrong. where if they saw things for what they really are they would see he's done nothing in his career except score some points. reality is if you gave an average NBA player the hype and freedom to do whatever he wants, they'd likely be on par with Melo.

« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2017, 09:24:19 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
this is a nothing move imo. I've long felt Anthony is overrated... because he is. this is just a name being moved, a name who's living off his college career. there is no substance to Anthony's game, for all the points he scores his team is worse off.

and he's a coach killer.

This has to be a joke.

he forced his way out of Denver(a good team at the time) to go to New York... just because it's "New York". and then when he gets there, he does nothing. and the argument is always "he had no teammates". well, ya know what? Pierce "had no teammates" either and took a bunch of scrubs to the eastern conference finals. sure the east was weak then... just like it was during melo's tenure so how many excuses are we going to make for the guy?

it seems like most people still tootin the melo horn are the ones that claimed long ago that he was going to be great are the ones that are still holding onto their prediction, just because they don't want to be proven wrong. where if they saw things for what they really are they would see he's done nothing in his career except score some points. reality is if you gave an average NBA player the hype and freedom to do whatever he wants, they'd likely be on par with Melo.

No way. He can score and rebound better than most, and can shoot. That's pretty big, and definitely still above average by a good spell.

He isn't the team leader his talent and early hype suggested, but he's one heck of a 3rd banana. Much better than, say, Otto Porter or Jrue.

« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2017, 09:26:08 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
BIGGEST improvement I see out of OKC is that, when they have a lead and Westbrook sits, the scoring WILL NOT STOP.

Melo and PG13 will carry the load then, or even when 2 guys sit, one guy can score.

Last year when Westbrook sat, OKC looked like a horrible team and kept blowing leads or falling behind even more in games.

Oladipo wasn't doing enough. Now they add George (including his defense) and Melo (legit 22+ PPG scorer).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2017, 09:32:36 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Starting lineup of 3 olympians.

« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2017, 12:19:16 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
That's a ton of talent, but the fit is fairly dubious, and the West is so absurdly stacked that a Conference Finals appearance would feel like a major overachievement.

This will be a big test for Melo - he has great players around him for the first time in a long time. If he keeps trying to play hero ball it's going to implode. If he can change his game to be primarily a spot-up and single dribble shooter, help move the ball, find spots to attack the boards and make at least a mediocre defensive effort, the team...will probably still lose in the 2nd round. MAN the West is stacked.

People have been saying that for so long now that I don't think that there's anymore "if" involved.  Melo is what he is at this point and is probably best served to play the Mark Aguirre role as the latter did so well for the Pistons for some contending team, but starting?  Well, that's pretty difficult at this point, imo, and he and Westbrook cannot play with each other.  That's a terrible fit, imo, as you've got two me-me-me guys who suffer from acute tunnel vision, don't play defense, and absolutely destroy any semblance of ball movement.  Pairing George with Westbrook would have been great by itself as PG plays very well without the ball, is an excellent passer, and, of course, his defense speaks for itself.  He's not the problem, it's the other two that are really going to struggle, imo.  At least in Houston both Paul and Harden can shoot, but Westbrook?  No.  Just no.

As for their bench now - yikes.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Presti at least attempt to sign - assuming that they have any veteran minimum deals left, anyway - Barbosa and David Lee.  Monta Ellis probably wouldn't fit, there, and the same goes for Rodney Stuckey, but we'll see what happens.  Why didn't Presti just trade for George and Stephenson?  Lance would have been a great sixth man at the 1, 2, and 3, imo.  Oh well :-\.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 03:40:01 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2017, 12:25:19 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
2018 East All-Stars Starting 5

PG: Kyrie Irving
SG: Gordon Hayward
SF: LeBron James
PF: Marcus Morris
C: Al Horford

Pretty much right.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2017, 12:27:00 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

If Melo replicates his 2016 Brazil Olympic days...OKC will be in the Finals in 2018.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2017, 02:02:12 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
2018 East All-Stars Starting 5

PG: Kyrie Irving
SG: Gordon Hayward
SF: LeBron James
PF: Marcus Morris
C: Al Horford

Pretty much right.

Lol TP
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2017, 06:44:54 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
So that's how may free wins we are getting by just being in the Atlantic Division?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2017, 07:46:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This helps Hayward have a better chance at all star games and the like.

And only one ball that can be had at the same time.

I think it helps OKC, NYC not so much.   This should make GS have to work a little harder to make the finals. 

The Cavs salary problem isn't LBJ at $35M, it's all the role player vets he makes the team overpay to fill out the roster.  TT, Korver, JR ... would be like salary cap cement shoes.

Do you realize who demanded those guys were on the team?   So, in the end, it is still LeBron's fault as they fold to his pressure and requests quite often.

« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2017, 08:27:15 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
So...if Melo and PG stay in OKC with Westbrook, does Lebron still want to go to the Western Conference next season?

Naw

I predict Lebron will retire after next season

He showed me last season he is content with what he has done/accomplished

After next season the Cavs are going to trade Love etc for the purpose to rebuild

Lebron either becomes the new president of basketball operations or something left field and joins the Clippers as the new president.

His playing days in the league will soon be over.
Why would he do that with at least another $100m (3 x $33m per year) in earning power still in his tank?  Playing basketball is his only job skill.

« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2017, 10:16:57 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
So...if Melo and PG stay in OKC with Westbrook, does Lebron still want to go to the Western Conference next season?

Naw

After next season the Cavs are going to trade Love etc for the purpose to rebuild

Lebron either becomes the new president of basketball operations or something left field and joins the Clippers as the new president.

Why would he do that with at least another $100m (3 x $33m per year) in earning power still in his tank?  Playing basketball is his only job skill.
Yeah that makes no sense.  James wants to go down as the greatest player ever.  Thus, I think he plays long enough to be the all time leading scorer (which should also put him very high up on the rebounding and assist lists).  Playing that long also gives him a great shot at playing in more NBA Finals than anyone else (though he won't catch Russell in Finals wins).   In addition, that might actually get him long enough to potentially play with his son (assuming his son lives up to the hype he is already getting). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2017, 10:32:23 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Naw

Yeah that makes no sense.  James wants to go down as the greatest player ever.  Thus, I think he plays long enough to be the all time leading scorer (which should also put him very high up on the rebounding and assist lists).  Playing that long also gives him a great shot at playing in more NBA Finals than anyone else (though he won't catch Russell in Finals wins).   In addition, that might actually get him long enough to potentially play with his son (assuming his son lives up to the hype he is already getting).
I can't see Lebron retiring while he is still a top player in the league and able to be the alpha dog on a contender.  I'll be surprised if he is willing to be 2nd fiddle to someone like Shaq did with Wade. 

« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2017, 01:03:35 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

and he's a coach killer.

This has to be a joke.

A scoring title
5 seasons of more than 25 ppg
Never scored less than 20 a game for is entire career
Led average Nuggets team to WCF
Led every team he's been on to playoffs up until 3 years ago despite his 2 best teammates in that span being Amare Stoudemire and an old ass AI
Led Knicks to first playoff series win in well over a decade
Led Knicks to 54 wins

He's not Lebron James but he's not coasting off his reputation from college. Saying that is patently absurd.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.