Author Topic: Woj Bomb: Melo to OKC  (Read 12549 times)

Re: Woj Bomb: Melo to OKC
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2017, 03:39:11 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
So...if Melo and PG stay in OKC with Westbrook, does Lebron still want to go to the Western Conference next season?

Naw

I predict Lebron will retire after next season

He showed me last season he is content with what he has done/accomplished

After next season the Cavs are going to trade Love etc for the purpose to rebuild

Lebron either becomes the new president of basketball operations or something left field and joins the Clippers as the new president.

His playing days in the league will soon be over.
Can't disagree with this more. Lebron is going to be around until late in his 30's. He still has about $150+ million to earn and he is still in amazing physical condition.

Don't know where he will play as Cleveland is looking less and less likely to keep him, but Lebron will be around a while.
Where is Lebron going to go where he can be competitive?  Lakers would have no chance in the West unless Lebron and 2 other top stars take a lot less than Max to go there.  In the East, he'd be more competitive staying on the Cavs than any other team he could feasibly go to.
True but I also don't think Cleveland ownership will want him back at another outrageous salary that keeps them in lottery hell. There's just so much money they can lose yearly before they come to the decision that Lebron just isn't worth it fiscally. I just think Cleveland might be at that point right now, otherwise why trade for the Brooklyn pick if not to rebuild without Lebron?
You seriously underestimate how valuable LeBron is if you think his contract is a loss of money.

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2017, 03:39:23 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
You get a superteam, you get a superteam, you get a superteam, and you a get superteam!

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2017, 03:46:32 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
So...if Melo and PG stay in OKC with Westbrook, does Lebron still want to go to the Western Conference next season?

Naw

I predict Lebron will retire after next season

He showed me last season he is content with what he has done/accomplished

After next season the Cavs are going to trade Love etc for the purpose to rebuild

Lebron either becomes the new president of basketball operations or something left field and joins the Clippers as the new president.

His playing days in the league will soon be over.
Can't disagree with this more. Lebron is going to be around until late in his 30's. He still has about $150+ million to earn and he is still in amazing physical condition.

Don't know where he will play as Cleveland is looking less and less likely to keep him, but Lebron will be around a while.
Where is Lebron going to go where he can be competitive?  Lakers would have no chance in the West unless Lebron and 2 other top stars take a lot less than Max to go there.  In the East, he'd be more competitive staying on the Cavs than any other team he could feasibly go to.
True but I also don't think Cleveland ownership will want him back at another outrageous salary that keeps them in lottery hell. There's just so much money they can lose yearly before they come to the decision that Lebron just isn't worth it fiscally. I just think Cleveland might be at that point right now, otherwise why trade for the Brooklyn pick if not to rebuild without Lebron?
"Keeps them in lottery hell"?  What the heck does that mean?  As long as they have Lebron they'll be a playoff team in the weak East.  They traded Irving because he demanded a traded and our offer was by far the best.  That Nets pick can be used to rebuild  if Lebron leaves but it could also be used in a trade to acquire more talent to put around Lebron if he stays. 

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2017, 03:54:43 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
You get a superteam, you get a superteam, you get a superteam, and you a get superteam!

3 good players and a completely gutted bench is a superteam?

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2017, 03:55:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Now they need to get rid of Roberson and replace him with a two-way SG.

Then they have a starting 5 that can go toe-to-toe with the Warriors.
2-way wings are expensive so that is a pipe dream.  They have Arines to provide some offense off the bench.

They don't need someone who is a high level player on both ends. Just someone who isn't a liability. Roberson is too much of a liability on offense against top teams in the playoffs to play in lineups with another non-shooter in Steven Adams.

They should try to trade him for someone with more balance.

Solid offense & average defense instead of elite defense and bad offense.

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2017, 03:56:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Hoping this is the Celtics next summer, with Ainge making a trade for another star to create OUR superteam  8) (with hopefully a decent bench too)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2017, 03:57:08 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I could see D.Wade joining the OKC after getting bought out sometime this season. I'm not saying it would work out well, but he's a 2 guard and they definitely could use one

Ooh, I like that. Wade would be a great 6th man for that group. Keep 2-3 scorers on the floor at all times. I don't like Wade as a starter though. Not enough balls to keep those 4 guys happy at the same time.

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2017, 03:57:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Adams and roberson are perfect for defensive purposes

Presti comesout another winner here

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2017, 04:06:02 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Thoughts:

1. Presti deserves a raise after offloading both Oladipdo and Kanter contracts and somehow getting PG13 and Melo.

2. It's kind of an odd fit but they should definitely be able to score points.

3. Don't think they have really good depth (like at all).

4. Lakers pick looking a little bit better.

5. Another swing and miss by CLE in trying to get another player in to help Lebron.

« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2017, 04:20:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
That's a ton of talent, but the fit is fairly dubious, and the West is so absurdly stacked that a Conference Finals appearance would feel like a major overachievement.

This will be a big test for Melo - he has great players around him for the first time in a long time. If he keeps trying to play hero ball it's going to implode. If he can change his game to be primarily a spot-up and single dribble shooter, help move the ball, find spots to attack the boards and make at least a mediocre defensive effort, the team...will probably still lose in the 2nd round. MAN the West is stacked.

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2017, 04:29:33 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

2-way wings are expensive so that is a pipe dream.  They have Arines to provide some offense off the bench.

They don't need someone who is a high level player on both ends. Just someone who isn't a liability. Roberson is too much of a liability on offense against top teams in the playoffs to play in lineups with another non-shooter in Steven Adams.

So name names.  Who should they get? 

I'd rather have Roberson's elite defense and then Abrines bringing some offense off the bench.  Roberson and Adams wouldn't necessarily be in they're closing lineup especially against GSW.  They could go with Russ, PG, Melo, Patterson and Grant or Russ, Abrines, PG, Melo and Grant. 

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2017, 04:33:37 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Thoughts:

1. Presti deserves a raise after offloading both Oladipdo and Kanter contracts and somehow getting PG13 and Melo.

2. It's kind of an odd fit but they should definitely be able to score points.

3. Don't think they have really good depth (like at all).

4. Lakers pick looking a little bit better.

5. Another swing and miss by CLE in trying to get another player in to help Lebron.
Felton, Abrines, Patterson and Grant are solid depth. 

No indication that the Cavs even made an offer for Melo.  He just put them on his trade list. 

« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2017, 04:37:22 PM »

Offline stes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14

So name names.  Who should they get? 

I'd rather have Roberson's elite defense and then Abrines bringing some offense off the bench.  Roberson and Adams wouldn't necessarily be in they're closing lineup especially against GSW.  They could go with Russ, PG, Melo, Patterson and Grant or Russ, Abrines, PG, Melo and Grant.

They should have traded for Avery. Not shure that they could afford him, though I guess Marcus Morris is a beatable trade chip. That team would be nasty. still will be fun to watch, even though I don't think Melo is a superstar anymore, I doubt anyone believes that

« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2017, 04:39:52 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • GOT IT!!!

3 good players and a completely gutted bench is a superteam?

Yes on paper I'd consider any team with 3 current All Star players a superteam. Hence the word "current"

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2017, 04:40:27 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • GOT IT!!!

Hoping this is the Celtics next summer, with Ainge making a trade for another star to create OUR superteam  8) (with hopefully a decent bench too)
Anthony Davis will be wearing green either next summer or the year after IMO.