Author Topic: Woj Bomb: Melo to OKC  (Read 12553 times)

Re: Woj Bomb: Melo to OKC
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 01:33:23 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Give Presti and Co. credit. They've acquired two star players - one firmly in his prime - to pair with a reigning MVP in exchange for Victor Oladipo, Enes Kanter, Domantis Sabonis, Doug McDermott, and a Chicago 2nd rounder.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 01:33:46 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Man this Ringer tweet on the East vs West just gets more and more true:

https://twitter.com/ringer/status/882305476247072768

That tweet is amazing.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Wooowwww. I think they're the second best team in the West if they gel together well, and I could see them giving GS all they can handle.

That Irving trade is just getting better and better for us, huh? That's now like 7 legit teams that will challenge Brooklyn for worst in the NBA - Brooklyn, Chicago, Indy, Atlanta, New York, LAL, Sacramento, and Phoenix.

By extension I guess it makes the Fultz deal worse.

Too soon to say. If you mean for LA 2018, possibly, but could make Sacramento 2019 pick more valuable. The pick is so variable it really is difficult to give it a value today.

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 01:34:58 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Sheesh what is this the 4th or 5th All-star to go out west this offseason? It's frustrating how bad the East is gonna be next season.

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2017, 01:36:10 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Sheesh what is this the 4th or 5th All-star to go out west this offseason? It's frustrating how bad the East is gonna be next season.

Hayward should make the AS game easily!

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2017, 01:37:01 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
this is a nothing move imo. I've long felt Anthony is overrated... because he is. this is just a name being moved, a name who's living off his college career. there is no substance to Anthony's game, for all the points he scores his team is worse off.

and he's a coach killer.

There's a lot to be said for Melo, but he's dynamic when paired with other stars - look no further than the Olympics.

As far as him being a "winner", let's not pretend the Nuggets teams he was on weren't good. Unlike the great revered leader that is Chris Paul, Melo's actually been to a conference finals.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 01:37:01 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Wooowwww. I think they're the second best team in the West if they gel together well, and I could see them giving GS all they can handle.

That Irving trade is just getting better and better for us, huh? That's now like 7 legit teams that will challenge Brooklyn for worst in the NBA - Brooklyn, Chicago, Indy, Atlanta, New York, LAL, Sacramento, and Phoenix.

not necessarily. The stronger the west is, the more likely the lakers are going to be bad enough to give us that pick

but what crazy player movement this season? so many stars switching teams and not only that, going out west.

The east is going to be pretty bad this season. Only good teams I see are cavs, celtics, wizards....then everyone else.

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 01:38:23 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Eh, somewhat, as at this point I'm not sure if we'll get LA's pick or Sacramento's pick.

But on the other hand, it makes quite a bit of sense since (1) we now have a young franchise point guard anyways (rendering Fultz redundant) and (2) it seems pretty clear that Danny wanted Tatum all along and rated him similarly to Fultz, meaning the trade just gained us a free asset.

At this point, I'd definitely rather have Kyrie, Tatum, and the LA pick than IT, Fultz, Crowder, Zizic, and the Brooklyn pick, especially given the hindsight of IT's injury.

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2017, 01:43:13 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
this is a nothing move imo. I've long felt Anthony is overrated... because he is. this is just a name being moved, a name who's living off his college career. there is no substance to Anthony's game, for all the points he scores his team is worse off.

and he's a coach killer.

I'm not a huge fan of Carmelo Anthony, but this is ridiculous.  He was a great player for the Nuggets, and there's a reason he made the playoffs each of the first 10 years of his career. It's one thing to say he's a nothing player now, but he's not just "living off his college career"
I'm bitter.

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2017, 01:44:34 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Hayward should make the AS game easily!

Kyrie, Gordon, and Al are all pretty much locks to make it at this point. Last year's East team lost FOUR forwards this year in Melo, PG, Butler, and Millsap! And with IT being doubtful due to his injury, Kyrie's a lock, too.

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 01:45:42 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

More bad teams in the East mean they trade wins and losses with each other.  More quality in the West means every win is that much harder for the Lakers.  The Lakers could be a better team this year but wind up with the same record.

My only regret with the Fultz trade is I think Ainge should have received the pick if it were 2-6 instead of 2-5.

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2017, 01:46:01 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Wow

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2017, 01:47:18 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I can't.  The 2015-16 Thunder did, but that was a better Thunder team playing against a worse Warriors team.

Durant+Ibaka>George+Melo, and Barnes<<<Durant
I'm bitter.

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2017, 01:51:59 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

I can't.  The 2015-16 Thunder did, but that was a better Thunder team playing against a worse Warriors team.

Durant+Ibaka>George+Melo, and Barnes<<<Durant
Barnes?  ???

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2017, 02:04:43 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

The Ringer‏Verified account
@ringer

27 active players have made multiple All-NBA teams. 22 play in the West, 4 in the East, and one is a free agent.
10:59 AM - 23 Sep 2017

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team