Author Topic: About the shooting foul rule change  (Read 3599 times)

Re: About the shooting foul rule change
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 06:57:29 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Would this mean more reviews mean more extended total game time as it is?
Refs have been doing too many reviews on calls its insane and could lead to up to 3 hrs total game time...wow.

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 07:22:43 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
It'll be good if they actually stick to this. It's so frustrating to watch someone like Harden, who should be a lot of fun to watch, get rewarded for constant offensive fouls.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems Harden does get fouled a lot when driving to the basket. He's quicker than the defenders.

Only the second type of foul they discuss would be an offensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEkTUVnhGZ0#t=3m30s

Edit: added a gif to be sure we are on the same page.

Yeah, that type of thing.

I'm also thinking about when he's heading in a straight line for the basket and has a defender on his side, he'll throw his body to the side (into the defender's body), off of his path to the basket and then throw the ball up looking for an and-1. To my eye, it's an offensive foul but he gets rewarded for it all the time.

Here's a video of what I'm talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiiTvmn4PVQ
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 10:24:10 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
Yes, I love this rule change. While last year it benefitted us with IT, I hated how easily people like IT, Russ, Harden, etc could just barge into traffic, flail their arms, and get a foul call.
This is not a rule change. You were never supposed to be entitled to a shooting foul when you initiate contact.

well nobody ever told dwayne wade. he has been doing this for years
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 11:32:41 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Yes, I love this rule change. While last year it benefitted us with IT, I hated how easily people like IT, Russ, Harden, etc could just barge into traffic, flail their arms, and get a foul call.
This is not a rule change. You were never supposed to be entitled to a shooting foul when you initiate contact.

well nobody ever told dwayne wade. he has been doing this for years

He certainly isn't the only one - just ask Paul Pierce :P

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 03:36:03 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I highly doubt the Zaza rule gets enforced much.

I'm looking forward to the Harden rule being enforced. I don't know what the ruling will be but if it's a play-on, I'll be fine with it. It makes it nearly impossible to defend the PnR with guys so easily able to fish for fouls beyond the arc.
- LilRip

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 08:27:39 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
This is great news for Marcus Smart. Now he can just shoot the ball naturally, instead of trying to create contact and acting like he was fouled.

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 08:42:56 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
I am all for this.  Fewer whistles is better for the game.  A defender should be able to defend.  If the shooter leans in to create the contact, it should be an offensive foul or no-call.  This will hopefully get players back to trying to make shots instead of draw fouls.  I love this.

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 09:08:29 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Off topic, but don't want to start a new thread.

There also needs to be more accountability for hard fouls...especially when a player is going to the hoop and is pushed from behind or unended somehow. 

It's not enough to have ordinary foul calls, flagrant one or flagrant twos. That's a joke. The NBA should suspend these players for 5 games or more for their intentional barbaric acts.