Author Topic: About the shooting foul rule change  (Read 3615 times)

About the shooting foul rule change
« on: September 23, 2017, 12:59:36 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Seems like you can't "buy" foul anymore

doesn't this mean player like Bulter,DDR ,IT, even Durant's game will take a huge hit, and our big three or the Jays game won't be affect much? I think it's a huge good news for us

anyone knows more specifically what will it affect players(benefit us)

Re: About the shooting foul rule change
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 01:09:05 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Can you explain further?

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 01:20:05 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 01:25:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
They'll "crack down" on this just like they did technical fouls and flopping.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 01:27:01 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Yes, I love this rule change. While last year it benefitted us with IT, I hated how easily people like IT, Russ, Harden, etc could just barge into traffic, flail their arms, and get a foul call.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 02:55:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yes, I love this rule change. While last year it benefitted us with IT, I hated how easily people like IT, Russ, Harden, etc could just barge into traffic, flail their arms, and get a foul call.
This is not a rule change. You were never supposed to be entitled to a shooting foul when you initiate contact.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 03:15:23 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
This is not a rule change. You were never supposed to be entitled to a shooting foul when you initiate contact.
Yep, it's an instruction to the refs.

IMO the first one is catering to the fans taste because the Leonard incident got too much attention. The frequency of such fouls did not go up last year - at least, I haven't seen any evidence of this. Not a bad thing if they can reduce these fouls though.

The latter is a different story, and I wonder what took them so long, esp. given that in the NBA you can consult the replay - these plays are often visible only if you use the right camera.

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 03:20:29 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Semantics. I was just utilizing the language of the OP.

But regardless I agree. Those types of fouls should've never become so commonplace.

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 03:20:40 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
They'll "crack down" on this just like they did technical fouls and flopping.

I agree, as much as I would like the initiated contact fouls to be eliminated I doubt they will.  Too many top players have gotten away with it for too long.  Maybe a month of swallowing the whistles and then back to reality.

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 05:16:12 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
It'll be good if they actually stick to this. It's so frustrating to watch someone like Harden, who should be a lot of fun to watch, get rewarded for constant offensive fouls.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 05:31:42 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
It'll be good if they actually stick to this. It's so frustrating to watch someone like Harden, who should be a lot of fun to watch, get rewarded for constant offensive fouls.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems Harden does get fouled a lot when driving to the basket. He's quicker than the defenders. 

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 05:48:24 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems Harden does get fouled a lot when driving to the basket. He's quicker than the defenders.

Only the second type of foul they discuss would be an offensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEkTUVnhGZ0#t=3m30s

Edit: added a gif to be sure we are on the same page.

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 06:17:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So are they going to call those offensive fouls or just not call a foul? Not sure from that tweet.

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 06:52:16 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
So are they going to call those offensive fouls or just not call a foul? Not sure from that tweet.

If what is written in the link at the bottom is accurate, the video of coach Nick was spot on.

You have two scenarios:

A. "A player [who] has not gathered the ball before contact occurs" - this will still be a foul but not a shooting foul. This is also the trickier case, the vid explains why.

B. The defender initiates contact (see the gif in my previous post). This is (and has always been) an offensive foul.

Again, the vid by coach Nick is very helpful as he goes through the plays with a veteran ref commenting.

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/nba-zaza-pachulia-kawhi-leonard-james-harden-rule-change-closeouts-2017-18/3/