Author Topic: 2000-2001 Lakers vs Modern day Warriors  (Read 4029 times)

Re: 2000-2001 Lakers vs Modern day Warriors
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 04:26:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think people underestimate Shaq's dominance.  Teams that were contenders used to sign and carry a minimum of three sizeable centers just to deal with the foul trouble that Shaq caused every game.  You can't put Draymond on Shaq.  If GSW did, they would hold Shaq to one point on the five possessions that Dray fouls him and then Shaq will score a bucket 70% of the other possessions and also assist to teammates plenty of other times.  LAL would be scoring attacking that matchup at a very high offensive efficiency.

This assumes they could get the ball to Shaq without any trouble, or that the Warriors wouldn't double or triple team him, feeling confident in doing so given LA's lack of deadly outside shooters (by modern standards).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 04:26:31 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I think people underestimate Shaq's dominance.  Teams that were contenders used to sign and carry a minimum of three sizeable centers just to deal with the foul trouble that Shaq caused every game.  You can't put Draymond on Shaq.  If GSW did, they would hold Shaq to one point on the five possessions that Dray fouls him and then Shaq will score a bucket 70% of the other possessions and also assist to teammates plenty of other times.  LAL would be scoring attacking that matchup at a very high offensive efficiency.

GSW might be able to match that kind of offensive efficiency with Draymond at the 5 on offense, but I don't think they can exceed it.  Remember that Shaq averaged over 12 fta per game and Kobe got to the line 9+ times himself too.  As a team, they averaged .349 fta for every fga, which means they were shooting FTs about 1 out of every 4 possessions.  That along with a very low turnover rate (13.3 per 100 possessions) and would slow the pace of the game down a lot which would limit GSW's ability to get out in transition where they thrive.

Shaq's dominance is freakish to go back and watch.  You are right about the Lakers dictating the pace.  The Warriors would have their transition opportunities cut by more than 50%.  The free throw rate and turnover stats are also a crucial element of the equation.

I honestly believe it would be a 7 game series.  If anything I would argue that late game free throws would be the undoing of the Lakers.

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 04:27:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
3 is more than 2, and Shaq needs someone to get him the ball.

GSW in 6 (tops).

You're neglecting the % rates that GSW and LAL would connect on these 3s and 2s.  Its more efficient to connect on 60% of your 2s than on 38% of your 3s.

You're assuming a modern defense would allow a team without any great three point shooters to shoot 60% on twos.

Also, none of the defenders on that Lakers team would be used to defending the kind of aggressive three point shooting that's in the league today, so the Warriors would almost certainly shoot much better than 38% from deep.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
It would not be a massacre by the Warriors ,  they would most likey prevail in a series .....as refed by today .    Early in Shaqs time , the refs would have let Shaq dominate , he was huge and Green would be crushed .   Still Curry ,KG and gang hitting high percent of threes , with Kobe not playing defense , Warriors would win best out 7  .

The Kobe not playing defense argument does not apply to the 2001 Lakers.  Phil Jackson routinely had Kobe pressure the opposing teams PG with great results.  When dialed in Kobe was an elite perimeter defender.

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 04:35:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm leaning Golden State.

Warriors would get Shaq gassed and wear him down with the tempo & spacing of their big men.   Of course, if Kobe/Fisher/Fox undercut Klay or Steph, its a whole other story. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 06:18:35 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
These things are so hard to compare because the league is so different, even just 15 years later.

I think LA would probably win if GS had to go back in time and play in 2001 and the Lakers would win if they had to go forward in time and play now.

On some neutral court, in a pick-up game... I think GS just rains 3's and Shaq is exhausted trying to chase Draymond around picks.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 10:59:20 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
I'll take modern day Curry/Thompson/Durant/Green over 00 Kobe/Fisher/Fox.

Zaza Pachulia would be a nuisance to Shaq, but use Hack-A-Shaq and it's all over for them.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 11:18:55 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Shaq in his prime was the most unstoppable force to ever play the game. Nobody is stopping him from doing whatever he wants, whenever he wants, to whomever he wants.

Nothing else is really worth discussing because that is how dominant Shaq was. It would be funny to watch Dray get murdered trying to stop him though.

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2017, 11:41:29 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
GS would win.

Zone defense was not allowed in 2000. It is now. Shaq was a beast, true. But lanes are clogged now in ways they were not in 2000. I believe 2001 is when they started allowing zones, but I could be wrong.

Use the old rules, and GS would not be as dominant because of players like Shaq. With current rules, it is hard to beat GS's roster construction.

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2017, 03:15:39 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
I hate these arguments. The era matters. 
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 05:00:02 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
GS would win.

Zone defense was not allowed in 2000. It is now. Shaq was a beast, true. But lanes are clogged now in ways they were not in 2000. I believe 2001 is when they started allowing zones, but I could be wrong.

Use the old rules, and GS would not be as dominant because of players like Shaq. With current rules, it is hard to beat GS's roster construction.

Its not a true zone though, defensive 3 secs is still in effect.

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2017, 06:43:36 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
For Shaq's FTs in the clutch...he was actually very good at making FTs when they counted, I saw a statistic having Shaq shoot over 70% in the clutch at the FT line when he was in LA, I would worry more about Shaq not making FTs early on in the game and letting the Warriors run them out of the gym before crunch time. That being said I have to take the Lakers, Shaq was still an athletic beast in 01 and could definitely guard the high PnR acceptably at least while getting 44/22 every game on 70% shooting.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 06:50:24 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2017, 07:08:44 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'm going to pick the Warriors. Only because I hate every laker team ever. And also because I hate Shaq and Kobe and can't pull for them.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2017, 08:07:45 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
It really depends on the rules. Modern day, I don't see the Lakers winning. There's just way too much freedom given to perimeter players which opens up shooting, and big guys get the short end of the stick. The big guys who are successful today play like big guards rather than traditional big men.

In the 00's rules, I don't see GSW taking the series. The hand check rule was implemented in 2003. Curry is a great shooter but with Lue literally holding him (the way he defended Iverson), I can see how Steph's efficiency would dip. Plus, no one would be able to check Shaq. The guy whose game would probably suffer the most is actually Draymond, imo. Idk, whenever I watch him, I always get the impression that he has passable, borderline sloppy handles. But he gets away with it because you can't check guys like you used to because of the freedom of movement rules. Defensively he'll still be good but he might have to play the more traditional stretch 4 role than the small ball death lineup 5.
- LilRip

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2017, 08:45:09 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
It really depends on the rules. Modern day, I don't see the Lakers winning. There's just way too much freedom given to perimeter players which opens up shooting, and big guys get the short end of the stick. The big guys who are successful today play like big guards rather than traditional big men.

In the 00's rules, I don't see GSW taking the series. The hand check rule was implemented in 2003. Curry is a great shooter but with Lue literally holding him (the way he defended Iverson), I can see how Steph's efficiency would dip. Plus, no one would be able to check Shaq. The guy whose game would probably suffer the most is actually Draymond, imo. Idk, whenever I watch him, I always get the impression that he has passable, borderline sloppy handles. But he gets away with it because you can't check guys like you used to because of the freedom of movement rules. Defensively he'll still be good but he might have to play the more traditional stretch 4 role than the small ball death lineup 5.
I agree with this but Rod Strickland looked sloppy with his handles, however he was insanely good at dribbling to the guys who guarded him so I'll say maybe on this one.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA