Author Topic: The "Kyrie Factor" Already In Effect It Seems And Influencing Celtics  (Read 5492 times)

Re: The "Kyrie Factor" Already In Effect It Seems And Influencing Celtics
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 02:52:28 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Anyone know if Anthony Davis or Porzingis love Kyrie and the idea of playing with him?  :P

I think it was Zach Lowe who mentioned on a podcast recently that Kyrie and AD are good friends and Kyrie could be an intriguing lure for him.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 03:38:43 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Obviously, folks think Irving moves the needle, but this isn't by himself - the Hayward addition is a factor here. If we think of getting Hayward like netting Ray Allen, and then everyone going nuts when KG came as well, it was because Kevin was the third leg of the stool. Irving is our 3rd max guy, and the whole league knows he's worth his deal. Our team is transformed, and that's much more exciting to talk about than, say, whether or not Miami builds on their later season success and makes the playoffs.

It's been a bit nuts/boring to hear the same crap on the radio that we all hashed out here within 6 minutes of the first leak though. The national reporters and analysts (still) got nothing on the collective wisdom of the Blog.

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 03:47:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Im ok with the hype.  Its been too long since PP and KG ,  fans need some star types to cling to. .   Celtics are due alittle limelight .   Im not a fan of Lakers 100% media circus /zoo that follows them 24/7 .   

Celtics can aford to step out aliitle .

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 06:56:09 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
Anyone know if Anthony Davis or Porzingis love Kyrie and the idea of playing with him?  :P

I think it was Zach Lowe who mentioned on a podcast recently that Kyrie and AD are good friends and Kyrie could be an intriguing lure for him.

Fantastic to hear!  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 07:18:43 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Only 4 members of last year's team will be back this go-round, so I'm not sure I would call it the "Kyrie Effect".

Based on the board, Hayward already is being underrated and may be a more impactful player than Kyrie at his position... remember we were already getting 28ppg from our PG... at SF we were hit and miss.

I am yet to see Kyrie in a team system, so I'll reserve comment until then... but be careful not to attribute the success or failure of this team on an individual.

Don't think he (or she) meant that, the OP meant that before the trade, everyone in the media felt meh about the C's (and they felt that way ALL of last year too even as C's clinched #1 seed and made ECF). Then they trade for Irving and suddenly the media and everyone is hyped about the C's going forward.

It's true for the most part, but yeah you're right that successes and failures of a team are not JUST on one guy.

The OP has a VERY similar writing to you. The numbering, the bolding, etc., and then you responded 5 minutes after their opening post. Interesting.

Yeah, that's totally Phantom! He even says in his next post that he wasn't crazy about the trade, but is willing to give it time - which has been your position from the beginning.

TP Eddie for catching this, too. I didn't even know it was Phantom until I went back and looked again.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 06:08:25 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 08:27:07 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Only 4 members of last year's team will be back this go-round, so I'm not sure I would call it the "Kyrie Effect".

Based on the board, Hayward already is being underrated and may be a more impactful player than Kyrie at his position... remember we were already getting 28ppg from our PG... at SF we were hit and miss.

I am yet to see Kyrie in a team system, so I'll reserve comment until then... but be careful not to attribute the success or failure of this team on an individual.

Don't think he (or she) meant that, the OP meant that before the trade, everyone in the media felt meh about the C's (and they felt that way ALL of last year too even as C's clinched #1 seed and made ECF). Then they trade for Irving and suddenly the media and everyone is hyped about the C's going forward.

It's true for the most part, but yeah you're right that successes and failures of a team are not JUST on one guy.

The OP has a VERY similar writing to you. The numbering, the bolding, etc., and then you responded 5 minutes after their opening post. Interesting.

Yeah, that's totally Phantom! He even says in his next post that he wasn't crazy about the trade, but is willing to give it time - which has been your position from the beginning.

TP Eddie for catching this, too. I didn't even know it want Phantom until I went back and looked again.

CelticsQuestFor18 is my good college friend who I see daily.

Pretty sure I mentioned this on some other thread a few weeks ago. I finally got him to make an account so he's a rookie here lol.

But I've helped him out (including making this post). I told him bolding important stuff would make a long post understandable to readers on here (in my experience).

And what's surprising about both of us hating the trade? We both did.

And I responded to his post quickly because he posted it right next to me lol in the library  :laugh:

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 08:30:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm another one who doesn't care about his influence in the media.

If his influence has the refs giving us friendlier calls, that'd be all right with me.

Man I hope so, seems like the refs ALWAYS screwed us best they could last season....  >:(

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 05:12:25 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
In some Celtic group I'm in, there was a massive spike in member increase after the Kyrie trade. ;D

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2017, 06:35:53 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

TP Eddie for catching this, too. I didn't even know it want Phantom until I went back and looked again.

Pretty sure I mentioned this on some other thread a few weeks ago. I finally got him to make an account so he's a rookie here lol.

But I've helped him out (including making this post). I told him bolding important stuff would make a long post understandable to readers on here (in my experience).

And I responded to his post quickly because he posted it right next to me lol in the library  :laugh:
Good for you guys...I don't have any Celtics fans in my school... :'( HK is honorary California land in NBA fandom.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2017, 08:13:22 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Last year, there was debate over whether the C's were the worst #1 seed ever.

What a difference an offseason makes!
- LilRip

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 08:16:51 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'm hoping that this "Kyrie Factor" takes us deep into June 2018.

It is nice to talk about hope and make predictions, but until the rubber meets the road I'll hold out on jumping on the bandwagon.

Celtic Pride is not about being on ESPN and in the media constantly. It's about results.

Until Kyrie and Hayward take this team farther than IT4 did I won't say if the trade was a success. Call it unfair or illogical (beat you to it, Eddie20) if you want to, but I've been a Diehard Celtics fan for TOO LONG (1981) to jump on bandwagons and hype.

The Boston Celtics - with each iteration of success we've had over the years - have been about sacrifice, hard work, teamwork, determination, DEFENSE, grit, guile. Not Hollywood or hype.

I love Kyrie and Hayward and the rest of this team but IT set the bar - not only with his play but with his love of this team and organization. He did it in a SHORT time, too.

Time to get to work.

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2017, 08:41:00 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Obviously, folks think Irving moves the needle, but this isn't by himself - the Hayward addition is a factor here. If we think of getting Hayward like netting Ray Allen, and then everyone going nuts when KG came as well, it was because Kevin was the third leg of the stool. Irving is our 3rd max guy, and the whole league knows he's worth his deal. Our team is transformed, and that's much more exciting to talk about than, say, whether or not Miami builds on their later season success and makes the playoffs.

It's been a bit nuts/boring to hear the same crap on the radio that we all hashed out here within 6 minutes of the first leak though. The national reporters and analysts (still) got nothing on the collective wisdom of the Blog.
TP.   :angel:

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2017, 11:25:57 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm hoping that this "Kyrie Factor" takes us deep into June 2018.

It is nice to talk about hope and make predictions, but until the rubber meets the road I'll hold out on jumping on the bandwagon.

Celtic Pride is not about being on ESPN and in the media constantly. It's about results.

Until Kyrie and Hayward take this team farther than IT4 did I won't say if the trade was a success. Call it unfair or illogical (beat you to it, Eddie20) if you want to, but I've been a Diehard Celtics fan for TOO LONG (1981) to jump on bandwagons and hype.

The Boston Celtics - with each iteration of success we've had over the years - have been about sacrifice, hard work, teamwork, determination, DEFENSE, grit, guile. Not Hollywood or hype.

I love Kyrie and Hayward and the rest of this team but IT set the bar - not only with his play but with his love of this team and organization. He did it in a SHORT time, too.

Time to get to work.
I too am withholding judgment on the trade until we know more about...well...just about everything having to do with all the moving parts.

But, IT is gone and this is a new version of the Celtics and I will love them even if they suck, which they won't. I cheer for the name on the front(not GE) not the names on the back.

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2017, 11:41:39 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Good for you guys...I don't have any Celtics fans in my school... :'( HK is honorary California land in NBA fandom.

What's HK , is it Hong Kong? (Sorry for sounding like an idiot lol)

But I mean honestly, I live in a city close to Boston and go to college in Boston as well lol, so it's honestly not hard to find Celtics fans and friends here.

But in college I've met fans of MANY teams (lots of out-of-state folks too). I have even met a Pelicans fan LOL, and I love annoying him by asking, "what would you want in a Davis deal". He is miserable about the Pels a lot though so it's funny.  :laugh:

Thing is, I've met many girls and guys here of numerous fanbases outside the C's, but I've yet to meet a REAL LIFE Clippers fan.  :P (I've met quite a few Lakers, but zero Clippers fans). 

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2017, 01:16:32 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I think you have to factor in that (a) Kyrie requested to be traded from a Lebron-lead title contender and (b) the Celtics blew up an ECF team as the major reasons this is getting more traction.