Author Topic: The "Kyrie Factor" Already In Effect It Seems And Influencing Celtics  (Read 5513 times)

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I apologize if there is "another term" or phrase for this, but I'm referring to the "draw/lure" Irving brings all around the league and media (including national outlets) along with the praise he gets from other superstar players.

Ever since the trade was made, think about it:

1. Kyrie makes an appeareance on First Take (did Isaiah ever make one, even after the season he put up last year. Nope. His most recent appeareance was in 2014-2015 Finals).

2. ESPN ranks Boston as most likely to make Finals out of East (NOT Cleveland). Also puts Boston now as #2 as "best future team" behind Golden State. 

3. Quite a few talk shows/programs (like The Herd, Undisputed, Speak For Yourself, SC6, The Jump, ESPN, etc.) who used to ALWAYS doubt the Celtics and think they were nothing more than "a bunch of rag tag overachievers" are suddenly "buying into the team" and intrigued by them. Think they can do a lot especially in the future (even Banner 18 within 2-3 years).

4. Facebook and Twitter simply have A LOT more posts on "Irving the Celtics Player" these days as opposed to Isaiah Thomas.

5. I don't mean to create controversy when I say this, but do you think Hayward is happier to play with Irving more than Thomas. Now yes, Hayward said Isaiah is the ONLY reason he came here (which is true), but it seems like Hayward and Irving have some history together themselves (recruiting also before LBJ re-joined CLE) and Hayward "seems" more psyched to play alongside Irving than Thomas... (Again, JUST A GUESS here).

So to sum it up, when we had Isaiah, Crowder, etc. still on the team, we were a GREAT team. Made the ECF, still had all the draft picks coming up, life was fantastic. But the national media STILL never gave them credit and ALWAYS doubted them. Now we have Irving and suddenly everyone is believing in this team going forward...  (Even when we signed Hayward, people still doubted our potential with Thomas as our PG still)

Man I feel for "The Little Guy". But Kyrie's influence (hopefully) will help us attract future ring-chasing FA's and trade targets (who hopefully love Irving).

Anyone else notice this though?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 02:33:29 PM by CelticsQuestFor18 »

Re: The "Kyrie Factor" Already In Effect It Seems And Influencing Celtics
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 10:08:41 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
This is true, but I really hope Kyrie is genuine about wanting to elevate his game here (defense included, even if it just becomes average which is fine) and that he actually loves the idea about playing in Boston.

Hoping he's just not going to act all smug with an ego (as some believe here) only wanting to promote his brand here and what not.

But if he puts his ego aside for a bit and truly puts in work with Stevens and his teammates to become a superstar PG (to the likes of Curry, Westbrook), then I'll be very happy.

It was a grand price to pay for Kyrie (even if IT was injured, still an overpay) but I'll trust Ainge for now (hesitantly). I do think with CBS Kyrie can get even better.

But Kyrie's influence (hopefully) will help us attract future ring-chasing FA's and trade targets (who hopefully love Irving).

Anyone know if Anthony Davis or Porzingis love Kyrie and the idea of playing with him?  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 11:12:53 AM »

• Brad Stevens
This is true, but I really hope Kyrie is genuine about wanting to elevate his game here (defense included, even if it just becomes average which is fine) and that he actually loves the idea about playing in Boston.

Hoping he's just not going to act all smug with an ego (as some believe here) only wanting to promote his brand here and what not.

But if he puts his ego aside for a bit and truly puts in work with Stevens and his teammates to become a superstar PG (to the likes of Curry, Westbrook), then I'll be very happy.

It was a grand price to pay for Kyrie (even if IT was injured, still an overpay) but I'll trust Ainge for now (hesitantly). I do think with CBS Kyrie can get even better.

But Kyrie's influence (hopefully) will help us attract future ring-chasing FA's and trade targets (who hopefully love Irving).

Anyone know if Anthony Davis or Porzingis love Kyrie and the idea of playing with him?  :P

I wasn't a huge fan of the trade either, but at this point all we can do is wait for the season to begin and see how it goes.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 11:24:56 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Only 4 members of last year's team will be back this go-round, so I'm not sure I would call it the "Kyrie Effect".

Based on the board, Hayward already is being underrated and may be a more impactful player than Kyrie at his position... remember we were already getting 28ppg from our PG... at SF we were hit and miss.

I am yet to see Kyrie in a team system, so I'll reserve comment until then... but be careful not to attribute the success or failure of this team on an individual.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 11:27:20 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Only 4 members of last year's team will be back this go-round, so I'm not sure I would call it the "Kyrie Effect".

Based on the board, Hayward already is being underrated and may be a more impactful player than Kyrie at his position... remember we were already getting 28ppg from our PG... at SF we were hit and miss.

I am yet to see Kyrie in a team system, so I'll reserve comment until then... but be careful not to attribute the success or failure of this team on an individual.

Don't think he (or she) meant that, the OP meant that before the trade, everyone in the media felt meh about the C's (and they felt that way ALL of last year too even as C's clinched #1 seed and made ECF). Then they trade for Irving and suddenly the media and everyone is hyped about the C's going forward.

It's true for the most part, but yeah you're right that successes and failures of a team are not JUST on one guy.

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 11:42:40 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think the national media is giving the Celtics more traction because of the addition of Hayward and the quality of youth on this team as much as they are giving the credit to Kyrie. Tatum, Horford, Hayward, Brown, Smart, Rozier as as well as Kyrie, as a collective, are the reasons the national media is suddenly bullish on the Cs.

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 11:50:03 AM »

• Brad Stevens
I think the national media is giving the Celtics more traction because of the addition of Hayward and the quality of youth on this team as much as they are giving the credit to Kyrie. Tatum, Horford, Hayward, Brown, Smart, Rozier as as well as Kyrie, as a collective, are the reasons the national media is suddenly bullish on the Cs.

Maybe it's just me, but when we had Isaiah and Crowder in that list (in place of Kyrie), the national media wasn't that bullish on the C's as they are now. (Even after Hayward and Tatum additions)

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 12:29:44 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Nice early candidate for worst season post. Congrats..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 12:41:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Of all the posts and threads on here, this is the one you nominate? Wow.  ???

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 01:26:08 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Of all the posts and threads on here, this is the one you nominate? Wow.  ???
There are no bad posts in August and September.  They are ALL bad.

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 01:26:57 PM »

Offline Mike

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
If I'm comprehending your post as intended, you are saying that the Celtics have more/better media exposure this year compared to recent years, and you are attributing it to Kyrie Irving.

I agree that the Celtics have more media exposure, and I don't necessarily agree that it's all positive (especially your point about First Take - I think Kyrie made a fool of himself), but more importantly, I really do not care about the media coverage or the reasons behind it.  I want the Celtics to be a team that I feel a connection with, I can root for, and competes for championships. 

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 01:55:41 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
First Take is horrific and whack, but I do feel the overall buzz around Kyrie. I'm sucked into it. Ideally, things click on the court and other prime players will want to join the party. It's gonna be an exciting year with several surprises.

Yab, Semi, Tatum, Brown, Terry  & Smart are all interesting "upsiders" to watch along with the max trio. Morris too.

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 02:13:30 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Don't think he (or she) meant that, the OP meant that before the trade, everyone in the media felt meh about the C's (and they felt that way ALL of last year too even as C's clinched #1 seed and made ECF). Then they trade for Irving and suddenly the media and everyone is hyped about the C's going forward.

It's true for the most part, but yeah you're right that successes and failures of a team are not JUST on one guy.

The OP has a VERY similar writing to you. The numbering, the bolding, etc., and then you responded 5 minutes after their opening post. Interesting.

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 02:19:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't care about the national media. In general, I'd rather be "disrespected" than overhyped, however.

The only thing that matters is play on the court.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 02:50:33 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I'm another one who doesn't care about his influence in the media.

If his influence has the refs giving us friendlier calls, that'd be all right with me.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale