Author Topic: If Danny had the choice...  (Read 2065 times)

If Danny had the choice...
« on: September 21, 2017, 03:28:00 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
If Celtics had the top pick in the 2016 NBA draft who do you think he would have taken, do you think he still would have picked Brown? I know he has always loved Durant so perhaps Ingram or was Simmons his actual first choice?

Re: If Danny had the choice...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 03:40:42 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I bet he would've picked Brown #1. If he'd gotten the #1 pick that year I bet he would've pulled the same tradedown to #3 he did the next year.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 03:47:28 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Simmons was so much better than Brown in college. I don't think anyone had Brown>Simmons.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 03:51:32 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If Celtics had the top pick in the 2016 NBA draft who do you think he would have taken, do you think he still would have picked Brown? I know he has always loved Durant so perhaps Ingram or was Simmons his actual first choice?
No way to really know, but the Simmons-Brown gap was way way bigger than the Fultz Tatum one.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 03:53:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Simmons -> Ingram -> Brown

Or, more accurately let's wait three years and see who is best. Then we'll hear stories about how that was Danny's guy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 04:02:14 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Simmons. 

Look back at pre-draft '16.    It was a two horse draft with most people having Simmons at #1.  Brown was on that next tier that was muddled as heck among a handful of guys.   And, actually, some even had Simmons & Ingram each on their separate tiers before you got to the Brown tier.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 04:20:22 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
It clearly would have been Simmons. Having said that, I hope Brown turns out to be better.

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 04:25:37 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Simmons. 

Look back at pre-draft '16.    It was a two horse draft with most people having Simmons at #1.  Brown was on that next tier that was muddled as heck among a handful of guys.   And, actually, some even had Simmons & Ingram each on their separate tiers before you got to the Brown tier.
Yeah, this is how I remember it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 04:47:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If Danny would have selected Brown over Simmons he should have been fired on the spot.  That doesn't mean that Brown might not end up with a better career, but you had to take Simmons there.  He was the only acceptable pick.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 05:00:19 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
If Danny would have selected Brown over Simmons he should have been fired on the spot.  That doesn't mean that Brown might not end up with a better career, but you had to take Simmons there.  He was the only acceptable pick.

Seems a tad overdramatic. 

Luckily, in the real world, guys don't get fired on the spot for a making a draft pick on a guy that hasn't seen a minute of NBA basketball yet.   Danny also has enough of a track record where ownership wouldn't do something that rash.

It was pretty clear Simmons was #1 but not exactly a fire-able offense if you had bypassed him either.   

Not the best value there but not fireable "on the spot" either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 06:50:29 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Fultz was the consensus #1 pick so I wouldn't be surprised if Danny traded the pick to slide down and pick Brown.

Brown have owned Simmons in High School and the Summer League. Simmons might be more talented but Jaylen have more fire under his belly.

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 06:58:46 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Luckily, in the real world, guys don't get fired on the spot for a making a draft pick on a guy that hasn't seen a minute of NBA basketball yet.   Danny also has enough of a track record where ownership wouldn't do something that rash.

It was pretty clear Simmons was #1 but not exactly a fire-able offense if you had bypassed him either.   

They also don't get fired for making a pick (one of three super-high ones) they acquired for two aging veterans. The 'fire Danny' sentiment over these BKN picks drives me crazy.

Simmons seemed like the obvious choice; Ingram seemed like a block-head (and still does).So I would say he would have taken Brown 2nd.

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 07:28:31 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Bender naturaly :)
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

They also don't get fired for making a pick (one of three super-high ones) they acquired for two aging veterans. The 'fire Danny' sentiment over these BKN picks drives me crazy.

Simmons seemed like the obvious choice; Ingram seemed like a block-head (and still does).So I would say he would have taken Brown 2nd.
yes, the glibness and speed with which some posters would fired a GM with ainge's moves over the past few years is amazing. but then, remember all those hate-filled threads when ainge shipped the corpses of KG and pierce out of town.

ainge has built up enough of a record that if he makes an unpopular move, i will still give him the benefit of the doubt, at least for a while.  ;D

and by the way, i am, and have been, in the "simmons has to prove it" camp. i see his passing talent, it is incredible. but his defense and shooting are quite poor. without a really good coach i am not sure he will fulfill his potential.

but then again, i thought bender and exum would be great.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva