Author Topic: Cs Climb to 2nd in ESPN's Future Power Rankings behind GSW  (Read 2712 times)

Cs Climb to 2nd in ESPN's Future Power Rankings behind GSW
« on: September 21, 2017, 01:59:56 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
It's an "Insider" article, so I'm only posting how ESPN comes up with who they expect to do well over the next 3 seasons and what they said about the Cs. The C's did well in all the categories below except cap. I don't disagree about the first two rankings FWIW. HOU, SAS, TWolves, Sixers and Cavs (with LBJ staying) round out the top 7. Fakers were 17th

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/20771005/nba-future-power-rankings-2017-rating-players-management-money-market-draft

====
HOW FUTURE POWER RATING IS DETERMINED

PLAYERS (worth 50 percent of score): Current players and their potential for the future, factoring in expected departures
MANAGEMENT (worth 16.7 percent of score): Quality and stability of front office, ownership, coaching
MONEY (worth 16.7 percent of score): Projected salary-cap situation; ability and willingness to exceed cap and pay luxury tax
MARKET (worth 8.3 percent of score): Appeal to future acquisitions based on team quality, franchise reputation, city's desirability as a destination, market size, taxes, business and entertainment opportunities, arena quality, fans
DRAFT (worth 8.3 percent of score): Future draft picks; draft positioning

====

Having added star power in the form of Gordon Hayward and Kyrie Irving this summer, the Celtics climb one spot to their highest rank ever in the Future Power Rankings, which debuted in the fall of 2009.

We've seen Boston's success coming; the Celtics ranked third in each of the past two editions. But now, in the wake of a run to the Eastern Conference finals, Boston is closer to making that future reality. Though the Celtics have loaded up, they still rank third in the draft category with an extra pick coming either next year or 2019 from trading the No. 1 selection to the Philadelphia 76ers, plus potentially two more in 2019 from the LA Clippers and Memphis Grizzlies.

And there are few organizations we trust to manage success better than the Celtics, who rank third in the management category.

-- Kevin Pelton

Re: Cs Climb to 2nd in ESPN's Future Power Rankings behind GSW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 02:08:36 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Where did the Celtics rank in each category?

I noticed the Celtics were ranked 3rd in management. Who is ahead of them? I assume San Antonio is one of them. Is Golden State the other?

I also noticed the Celtics were ranked 3rd in the draft category. I assume Philadelphia is ahead of them. Who is the other team?

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 02:23:53 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Where did the Celtics rank in each category?

I noticed the Celtics were ranked 3rd in management. Who is ahead of them? I assume San Antonio is one of them. Is Golden State the other?

I also noticed the Celtics were ranked 3rd in the draft category. I assume Philadelphia is ahead of them. Who is the other team?

Cs were 3rd in players, management, and draft. They were 8th in market attractiveness and 23rd in cap.

GSW and HOU took the top two spots in players with SAS and MIN 4th and 5th.

GSW and SAS took top two spots in management with HOU and MIA 4th and 5th

ATL and PHX took the top two spots in future draft with PHI and CLE 4th and 5th.

Top 5 in cap were CHI, LAL, IND, PHI, and ATL.

Top 7 in market attractiveness ahead of the Cs were LAL, GSW, NYK, LAC, MIA, BKN, and HOU.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 03:33:41 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Where was Charlotte ranked?

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 04:03:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Where was Charlotte ranked?

Considering that they're pushing the luxury tax this year, will be in it next year without some cost-cutting moves, have a fringe playoff team, only have their own draft picks going forward (minus a slight downgrade in 2nd rounders this year), and haven't done anything notable on the management size for years, I'm going to guess they graded pretty poorly.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 04:45:52 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Sounds right.

The Celtics probably have a brighter future, long term, than GS but they're looking to be so dominant for at least the next 2 seasons, they have to be on top.

Also, I was a little surprised that Atlanta had the top spot in future drafts but I fully expect them to be one of the 3 worst teams in the league this year, they have all their own picks, first rounders from Houston and Minnesota in 2018 and Cleveland's 2019 first (top 10 protected). None of those other picks are likely to be in the lottery (except that Cleveland one if Lebron leaves, I guess) but that's a nice position.

TP to colincb.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:41:11 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 09:21:37 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
It's an "Insider" article, so I'm only posting how ESPN comes up with who they expect to do well over the next 3 seasons and what they said about the Cs. The C's did well in all the categories below except cap. I don't disagree about the first two rankings FWIW. HOU, SAS, TWolves, Sixers and Cavs (with LBJ staying) round out the top 7. Fakers were 17th

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/20771005/nba-future-power-rankings-2017-rating-players-management-money-market-draft

====
HOW FUTURE POWER RATING IS DETERMINED

PLAYERS (worth 50 percent of score): Current players and their potential for the future, factoring in expected departures
MANAGEMENT (worth 16.7 percent of score): Quality and stability of front office, ownership, coaching
MONEY (worth 16.7 percent of score): Projected salary-cap situation; ability and willingness to exceed cap and pay luxury tax
MARKET (worth 8.3 percent of score): Appeal to future acquisitions based on team quality, franchise reputation, city's desirability as a destination, market size, taxes, business and entertainment opportunities, arena quality, fans
DRAFT (worth 8.3 percent of score): Future draft picks; draft positioning

====

Having added star power in the form of Gordon Hayward and Kyrie Irving this summer, the Celtics climb one spot to their highest rank ever in the Future Power Rankings, which debuted in the fall of 2009.

We've seen Boston's success coming; the Celtics ranked third in each of the past two editions. But now, in the wake of a run to the Eastern Conference finals, Boston is closer to making that future reality. Though the Celtics have loaded up, they still rank third in the draft category with an extra pick coming either next year or 2019 from trading the No. 1 selection to the Philadelphia 76ers, plus potentially two more in 2019 from the LA Clippers and Memphis Grizzlies.

And there are few organizations we trust to manage success better than the Celtics, who rank third in the management category.

-- Kevin Pelton

Could you tell me where Charlotte ranked?

Thanks,

Smitty77

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 08:49:44 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Could ANY Celtics' blogger that has ESPN Insider please tell me where Charlotte ranked?  I apologize for asking three times, but I am yet to get an answer, just conjecture.

Thanks,

Smitty77

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 08:52:47 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Could ANY Celtics' blogger that has ESPN Insider please tell me where Charlotte ranked?  I apologize for asking three times, but I am yet to get an answer, just conjecture.

Thanks,

Smitty77
19th.

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 09:11:49 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
BKLN ahead of Boston in Market attractiveness.

Yeah right.

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 05:44:55 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
BKLN ahead of Boston in Market attractiveness.

Yeah right.
Brookly = New York. So, yeah.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008