Author Topic: Okafor  (Read 14828 times)

Re: Okafor
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2017, 09:36:50 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I think I would pass unless we can get him for Larkin and a second pick.   OF course, I was looking at the cap stuff and it might taken Yabu and Larkin which is a steeper price and in which case I would pass. I read he has lost weight and may come into camp in shape.  But honestly folks if he does that wouldn't the sixers see how he does......  Surely they can't be that dumb to trade him before they see the results.

Sorry but we can't afford to have anymore atrocious defensive players on this team....PASS

Hey be respectful of IT, he is no longer with us, but don't kick the guy when he is down.

I came across a Philly work out video and he has lost weight and looks good. Not sure how it translate to basketball yet, but he's putting in the work on his body at least.

I'm torn on this. He was a huge talent in HS and College, and most people on here wanted him like crazy. It's hard to say if his poor play is to do with Philly or him. How much did they work with him? During the presser when he was introduced he didn't look happy. A change could do him wonders.

I think having Horford here would best case for him. They both aren't over athletic, and use good foot work to get their shots off. Horford plays good D, and maybe he can get Okafor to play similar.

I do worry about what we have to give up. I hate to have to use 3 players to get him, we're a bit thin as it is. And I don't want to give up Baynes or Morris right now, they'll be the consistent vets to counter the young guys on the team.

Oh no.  No, no, nope, nuh-uh, no chance.  I'm having flashbacks to Sully "getting into great shape" in the summer only to be fat again in January. 

I'd take him if we could get him for nothing (ie he was a free agent), but no way in hell would I give up matching salaries for him
I'm bitter.

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2017, 10:22:56 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The 76ers are moronic regarding their center position. Embiid still isn't cleared for 5 on 5.  Meanwhile Okafor has changed his diet and lost weight.

If they think centers with Okafor's natural talent grow on trees they're in for a very interesting surprise.

He's what? 21? And they want to give up on him? While Embiid isn't cleared to play 5 on 5.

The 76ers are morons.

I don't think that team will have any chemistry whatsoever. None.
That will be their biggest issue.  Amir and Reddick didn't go there as vets to lead them to the playoffs.   They went there to get paid.

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2017, 10:55:19 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Abdel Nader and a 2nd rounder.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2017, 11:51:56 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
It's hard to say if his poor play is to do with Philly or him. How much did they work with him? During the presser when he was introduced he didn't look happy. A change could do him wonders.

I don’t think that it’s hard to say. The coaching staff is excellent and if there’s one thing that you can rely on, it’s that everyone in the organization did what they could to have their prize draft pick turn out. Where was the determination, the fight, the effort? No, Jahlil Okafor is not a Celtic.

I think having Horford here would best case for him. They both aren't over athletic, and use good foot work to get their shots off. Horford plays good D, and maybe he can get Okafor to play similar.

A slender reed to lean on, in my opinion. What would Danny Ainge base this hope on?

Oh no.  No, no, nope, nuh-uh, no chance.  I'm having flashbacks to Sully "getting into great shape" in the summer only to be fat again in January. 

I'd take him if we could get him for nothing (ie he was a free agent), but no way in hell would I give up matching salaries for him

You’re still giving up a roster spot for someone who doesn’t help you in the areas you need help in, whose game doesn't fit the team offense, and whom you have to cover for on defense.

His rebounding is basically Al Horford lite rn. He is basically an iso post player that you slot him in for a few buckets and hope he doesn't **** up on D a minute or two.

His defensive rebounding last year was 15.5%, worse than Terry Rozier and seven other rotation Celtics, including all the bigs. He was catastrophically bad for a center.

Sorry but we can't afford to have anymore atrocious defensive players on this team....PASS
But what if they rebound, get blocks, AND pass?

I’m confused. I thought that this was a thread about Jahlil Okafor. He’s a ball-stopper and turnover-prone (14.4%), and gets assists at a minuscule 9% rate. Basically, the whole offense grinds to a halt while he does his thing. As I mentioned, he’s an awful defensive rebounder.

I consider rebounding part of defense.

Yes. You have to finish the possession.

The team has a chance to create its own identity.

Exactly.  The ball- and man-movement offense that Danny Ainge has been working toward for these past years would not seem to have a place for a “black hole” like Okafor.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:00:36 PM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2017, 09:02:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Jahil Okafor is lighting it up tonight leading the Sixers in scoring and going 1 for 2 with threes with 2 blocks. Five for 6 shooting and 3 for 3 from the line so the only shot he missed is a three.

He dropped 20 pounds in an effort to keep stress of his knees. 

I'm calling it now.

A better year and better career than Mr. Glass.

« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2017, 07:59:20 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Jahil Okafor is lighting it up tonight leading the Sixers in scoring and going 1 for 2 with threes with 2 blocks. Five for 6 shooting and 3 for 3 from the line so the only shot he missed is a three.

I'm calling it now.

That's an interesting bet. It's basically a bet that Embiid never gets healthy. Which is totally reasonable.

The stats I saw show Okafor as having gone 0-1 from 3.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2017, 08:55:45 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I'm calling it now.

That's an interesting bet. It's basically a bet that Embiid never gets healthy. Which is totally reasonable.

The stats I saw show Okafor as having gone 0-1 from 3.
They changed the stat at some point. Probably a long two. It reduced him from 14 to 13 points

« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2017, 09:21:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
When did the Sixers sign Emeka Okafor.  It was weird seeing Okafor in the box score twice.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2017, 09:42:23 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
vegan power at it once again

« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2017, 10:31:08 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
When did the Sixers sign Emeka Okafor.  It was weird seeing Okafor in the box score twice.
A couple weeks ago.

« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2017, 10:46:02 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
A couple weeks ago.
I think he's just a camp signing. He may still not be on the final roster.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2017, 11:26:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
A couple weeks ago.
I think he's just a camp signing. He may still not be on the final roster.
Probably but statistically it looked like he can still play (I didn't watch the game at all). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2017, 11:50:32 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
vegan power at it once again

I've watched a friend lose 15 pounds without ever being hungry, reduce his blood pressure, and rid himself of arthritis in 60 days.

It's no joke the processed food we eat, including our meats, eggs, and cheese are full of steroids and preservatives.

I'm sure NBA level athletes, being serious about their careers are finding out that corporate food is killing us.

« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2017, 11:53:01 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If David Lee at 33/34 years old can be a valuable rotation player for a good team, there's still hope for Okafor.

It's not like Okafor has no track record of helping teams win, he was quite good in college and won a national title.

He'll be on the Spurs within 3 years and Pop will turn him into a nice piece for them.  Wouldn't shock me one bit.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2017, 12:20:18 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Every time you guys see players with weight issues or ones who are just naturally bigger you always write them off as another Sully. There are hundreds of examples of guys going the opposite way of a guy like Sully, why cling to him? Most young ballers don't take care of themselves early in their careers because they are use to coasting on natural ability but they usually get it together at some point because they care about getting paid (winning). Sully is not the standard. Not every player is going to work at the level of MJ (wow) but I would bet good money that a lot more get closer to that type of work ethic than ones who go the way of Sully (he's even young enough to get it eventually/I think it's more than a food issue though).
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)