Author Topic: Okafor  (Read 14831 times)

Re: Okafor
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2017, 09:13:16 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I'd probably do Larkin, Nader, Yabusele, and Boston's 2018 1st (with some solid protections, like top 25, or it transfers to 2 2nd's) for Okafor.  I don't know if the Sixers would be interested in something like that of course, but if that is the sort of deal they could get, I think it would make sense for Boston.  You don't even mess up any chemistry since none of those guys were on the team last year.
Larkin, nader, yabu, and our pick are wash significantly better players than okafor.
I'd be surprised if Larkin, Nader, and Yabu combined equal the production of Okafor even last year.
Okafor’s production last year? Are you kidding? Okafor Wins Above Repacement (WAR) was -1.85 last year. -1.85. That is 3rd worst in the entire NBA. So Larkin, Nader, and Yabu could play 0 minutes the entire year, and still easily beat the “production” Okafor produced last year.
His VORP according to bball reference was -0.4

but his actual production was

22.7 mpg, 11.8 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.0 bpg, 0.4 spg, 1.8 tpg, 2.4 fpg on 51.4% from 2 and 67.1% from the line.

I can't see those 3 players do not equal that production next year.  Maybe the apg or spg, collectively, and maybe better from the line
but how productive is he really if he's generating negative WAR and VORP stats?  sure, score 11.8 point but give up a lot more than that because you're a defensive liability. 

I'd take flyer on him for no more than a couple of second rounders (doesn't work due to no outgoing salary) in terms of what he's worth.  wouldn't give up a player on the roster other than Larkin for him.  the suggested trade you offered is a gross overpayment.  take it to the bank that if Philly moves Okafor in a deal, they won't be getting a first rounder nor a decent prospect for him with his current trade value.
Jaylen Brown and Terry Rozier, among other Celtics, had negative VORP's last year as well.  The Sixers only had a handful of players end the year with a positive VORP.  Larkin played in the league for 3 seasons, he was a negative VORP all 3 seasons.  Nader couldn't even make the team last year and Yabu is a foreign tweener.  Maybe Yabu is great or maybe he is just another tweener Ainge fell in love with that fails.  A super late 1st round pick has very little value. 

Okafor was the 3rd pick in the draft for a reason.  He has immense talent.  Far more talent than any of those 3 Celtics or a late 1st round pick.  Okafor is an offensive beast, as shown by his actual production on that end of the floor every time he has played.  Defensively he isn't good, but the guys Boston are trading aren't good defenders either.

The "well he was a high draft pick so he much be good" argument doesn't hold much water when you consider how many busts there have been. I mean Michael Olowokandi was the #1 pick for a reason and we can go on and on.

Okafor is not an offensive beast. An offensive beast is someone who can score efficiently on the floor in numerous spots and can create his own shot. Not a plodding slow as a tortoise big man who is only okay posting up in certain situations which doesn't really work in today's game. Here is an excellent article about Okafor that I encourage you to read since it should change your opinion on him and open your eyes. He is simply a very flawed player who does only one thing in the NBA okay and doesn't really have a fit in today's game. This article also shows what a god awful rebounder his is.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/does-jahlil-okafor-have-a-place-in-todays-nba/

Saying he isn't good defensively is like saying Niagara Falls in just a waterfall. He is a black hole.
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/1/14785660/jahlil-okafor-worst-defense-youve-ever-seen-sixers

Philly will end up moving him for nothing cause he has little value right now.

Olowokandi is a good comp. amazing touch with the ball on the block, but it was layups on the other end. Ainge DID sign him though for cheap.

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2017, 09:38:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The 76ers are moronic regarding their center position. Embiid still isn't cleared for 5 on 5.  Meanwhile Okafor has changed his diet and lost weight.

If they think centers with Okafor's natural talent grow on trees they're in for a very interesting surprise.

He's what? 21? And they want to give up on him? While Embiid isn't cleared to play 5 on 5.

The 76ers are morons.

I don't think that team will have any chemistry whatsoever. None.

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2017, 09:56:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd probably do Larkin, Nader, Yabusele, and Boston's 2018 1st (with some solid protections, like top 25, or it transfers to 2 2nd's) for Okafor.  I don't know if the Sixers would be interested in something like that of course, but if that is the sort of deal they could get, I think it would make sense for Boston.  You don't even mess up any chemistry since none of those guys were on the team last year.
Larkin, nader, yabu, and our pick are wash significantly better players than okafor.
I'd be surprised if Larkin, Nader, and Yabu combined equal the production of Okafor even last year.
Okafor’s production last year? Are you kidding? Okafor Wins Above Repacement (WAR) was -1.85 last year. -1.85. That is 3rd worst in the entire NBA. So Larkin, Nader, and Yabu could play 0 minutes the entire year, and still easily beat the “production” Okafor produced last year.

22.7 mpg, 11.8 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.0 bpg, 0.4 spg, 1.8 tpg, 2.4 fpg on 51.4% from 2 and 67.1% from the line.

I can't see those 3 players do not equal that production next year.  Maybe the apg or spg, collectively, and maybe better from the line
but how productive is he really if he's generating negative WAR and VORP stats?  sure, score 11.8 point but give up a lot more than that because you're a defensive liability. 

I'd take flyer on him for no more than a couple of second rounders (doesn't work due to no outgoing salary) in terms of what he's worth.  wouldn't give up a player on the roster other than Larkin for him.  the suggested trade you offered is a gross overpayment.  take it to the bank that if Philly moves Okafor in a deal, they won't be getting a first rounder nor a decent prospect for him with his current trade value.
Jaylen Brown and Terry Rozier, among other Celtics, had negative VORP's last year as well.  The Sixers only had a handful of players end the year with a positive VORP.  Larkin played in the league for 3 seasons, he was a negative VORP all 3 seasons.  Nader couldn't even make the team last year and Yabu is a foreign tweener.  Maybe Yabu is great or maybe he is just another tweener Ainge fell in love with that fails.  A super late 1st round pick has very little value. 

Okafor was the 3rd pick in the draft for a reason.  He has immense talent.  Far more talent than any of those 3 Celtics or a late 1st round pick.  Okafor is an offensive beast, as shown by his actual production on that end of the floor every time he has played.  Defensively he isn't good, but the guys Boston are trading aren't good defenders either.

The "well he was a high draft pick so he much be good" argument doesn't hold much water when you consider how many busts there have been. I mean Michael Olowokandi was the #1 pick for a reason and we can go on and on.

Okafor is not an offensive beast. An offensive beast is someone who can score efficiently on the floor in numerous spots and can create his own shot. Not a plodding slow as a tortoise big man who is only okay posting up in certain situations which doesn't really work in today's game. Here is an excellent article about Okafor that I encourage you to read since it should change your opinion on him and open your eyes. He is simply a very flawed player who does only one thing in the NBA okay and doesn't really have a fit in today's game. This article also shows what a god awful rebounder his is.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/does-jahlil-okafor-have-a-place-in-todays-nba/

Saying he isn't good defensively is like saying Niagara Falls in just a waterfall. He is a black hole.
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/1/14785660/jahlil-okafor-worst-defense-youve-ever-seen-sixers

Philly will end up moving him for nothing cause he has little value right now.
I read that article when it came out months ago. It confirms what I said, Okafor has incredible offensive talent but doesn't do much else.  The thing is Okafor is better at offense then any 1 skill any of that collection of dregs and a late 1st rounder will provide.(and yeah I'm being harsh towards Yabu but I am just not impressed by him). And that skill i.e. low post scoring there isn't a single player in the team that is even above average at. In other words Okafor fills a giant hole.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2017, 10:21:45 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Sorry but we can't afford to have anymore atrocious defensive players on this team....PASS

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2017, 11:31:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Sorry but we can't afford to have anymore atrocious defensive players on this team....PASS
How many do we have? Kyrie is a weak defender, but has shown that he can be average. JT is an unknown, as is Yabu and Semi. Larkin is pretty terrible, but he'll barely see the floor anyway. Can't think of any others.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2017, 11:38:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
But what if they rebound, get blocks, AND pass?

The Last Okafor Thread
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2017, 01:14:41 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
One day someone will start the last Okafor thread. Who knows, maybe that happened already.  And then, not long after that,  someone will post the final post on that thread. And that will be it, for the rest of time.

Feeling philosophical tonight.

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2017, 01:41:15 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Super late first round pick?  The guy was taken at 16.

I'd much rather have Pascal Siakam. 

I don't know why everybody is so against this...  I think Emeka Okafor would be a great backup big man for our team! 

All things serious, I haven't thought about Emeka in a long time and I'm surprised he completely disappeared from the league so fast at age 30.   Last time he was in the league, he was still averaging 13 points and 12 rebounds per 36 minutes while managing to play 26 minutes per game and had been a positively contributing defender every season he was in the league.

Same man!

I remember wanting him to come to Boston badly, back towards the end of the Big 3 era.  He'd have been a great Perk replacement, would have fit so well alongside KG.

In fact I seriously think I might prefer Emeka Okafor right now (at his current age / ability) over Jahlil Okafor.  At least Emeka always maintained prime conditioning, always played hard, rebounded aggressively, and recognised that defence IS an actual thing.

Always liked that guy, kept expecting him to come back each year and he just never did.

Kinda thought of him as a poor man's Dwight (but without the moron attitude). 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2712818-emeka-okafor-reportedly-pursuing-nba-comeback-after-4-year-absence
He's more than 2 years younger than Pau Gasol. Bring him in for a workout!

We want Emeka!

I'd be stoked if we brought in Emeka.
If he can provide 10-15 min a game of hard nosed, smart defense we would be a far more dangerous team.
Also extra insurance if Al goes down at any point.

Cosign. 

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2017, 03:26:44 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I would take a flyer on Okafor!

Trade Larkin and 2018 Bos 2nd rounder (we'll probably be #1 in the east anyway) for 2 years of Okafor. I don't see why he can't come off the bench like an Enes Kanter. Hes good at scoring in the paint, I assume he's got good hands to catch the ball, and if he can crash the o-boards, that'd be great. He's a situational player but he could be a weapon off the bench.

- LilRip

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2017, 04:05:21 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I would take a flyer on Okafor!

Trade Larkin and 2018 Bos 2nd rounder (we'll probably be #1 in the east anyway) for 2 years of Okafor. I don't see why he can't come off the bench like an Enes Kanter. Hes good at scoring in the paint, I assume he's got good hands to catch the ball, and if he can crash the o-boards, that'd be great. He's a situational player but he could be a weapon off the bench.
His rebounding is basically Al Horford lite rn. He is basically an iso post player that you slot him in for a few buckets and hope he doesn't Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. up on D a minute or two.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2017, 06:28:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think I would pass unless we can get him for Larkin and a second pick.   OF course, I was looking at the cap stuff and it might taken Yabu and Larkin which is a steeper price and in which case I would pass. I read he has lost weight and may come into camp in shape.  But honestly folks if he does that wouldn't the sixers see how he does......  Surely they can't be that dumb to trade him before they see the results.

Hey be respectful of IT, he is no longer with us, but don't kick the guy when he is down.

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2017, 08:51:18 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
But what if they rebound, get blocks, AND pass?

I consider rebounding part of defense. I don't believe this team will be a very good defensive team but they could prove me wrong with Stevens schemes. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of 3 guard offense to help our perimeter defense with Rozier, Smart and Irving.

The team has a chance to create it's own identity.

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2017, 08:52:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Not Yabu, the protected 1st I was including in the trade.

Is he available for not much value?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2017, 09:04:55 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think I would pass unless we can get him for Larkin and a second pick.   OF course, I was looking at the cap stuff and it might taken Yabu and Larkin which is a steeper price and in which case I would pass. I read he has lost weight and may come into camp in shape.  But honestly folks if he does that wouldn't the sixers see how he does......  Surely they can't be that dumb to trade him before they see the results.

Hey be respectful of IT, he is no longer with us, but don't kick the guy when he is down.

I came across a Philly work out video and he has lost weight and looks good. Not sure how it translate to basketball yet, but he's putting in the work on his body at least.

I'm torn on this. He was a huge talent in HS and College, and most people on here wanted him like crazy. It's hard to say if his poor play is to do with Philly or him. How much did they work with him? During the presser when he was introduced he didn't look happy. A change could do him wonders.

I think having Horford here would best case for him. They both aren't over athletic, and use good foot work to get their shots off. Horford plays good D, and maybe he can get Okafor to play similar.

I do worry about what we have to give up. I hate to have to use 3 players to get him, we're a bit thin as it is. And I don't want to give up Baynes or Morris right now, they'll be the consistent vets to counter the young guys on the team. 

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2017, 09:27:42 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Not Yabu, the protected 1st I was including in the trade.

My apologies.  I guess that I misunderstood you on that last part.

Is he available for not much value?

I honestly have no idea.  He was starting for the Raptors prior to their acquisition of Ibaka, so I guess that he's back on the bench for now.  Idk, I really liked him coming out of New Mexico State.  He's a great athlete who runs the floor like a gazelle, has excellent quickness for a player of his size (at least imo), is relentless/has a great motor with a work ethic to match, possesses some really nice post moves, can hit a midrange shot and is extending his, well, range, out to the three point line, even though I'd prefer that he stayed on the block but that's how the game is now ::), and is an even better passer than he showed while in college.  What he showed in that department in the G-League last year was truly astonishing, imo.  He'd get the rebound, go the length of the court (easily outrunning guards in the process, btw), and deliver great passes on the break whether he was in the middle or on the wing (touch passes, especially), which is practically unheard of for a traditional power forward, plus he plays with a definite edge and is great kid, too.  I don't know how good he can be, but I'd like to think that he'd get on the court right away for his defense, alone.  Well, I like him, anyway, lol.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 09:42:34 AM by Beat LA »