Author Topic: Okafor  (Read 14832 times)

Re: Okafor
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2017, 12:35:36 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I don't know why everybody is so against this...  I think Emeka Okafor would be a great backup big man for our team! 

All things serious, I haven't thought about Emeka in a long time and I'm surprised he completely disappeared from the league so fast at age 30.   Last time he was in the league, he was still averaging 13 points and 12 rebounds per 36 minutes while managing to play 26 minutes per game and had been a positively contributing defender every season he was in the league.

I think he is actually hunting around for an NBA team right now...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2017, 02:47:24 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I don't know why everybody is so against this...  I think Emeka Okafor would be a great backup big man for our team! 

All things serious, I haven't thought about Emeka in a long time and I'm surprised he completely disappeared from the league so fast at age 30.   Last time he was in the league, he was still averaging 13 points and 12 rebounds per 36 minutes while managing to play 26 minutes per game and had been a positively contributing defender every season he was in the league.

Same man!

I remember wanting him to come to Boston badly, back towards the end of the Big 3 era.  He'd have been a great Perk replacement, would have fit so well alongside KG.

In fact I seriously think I might prefer Emeka Okafor right now (at his current age / ability) over Jahlil Okafor.  At least Emeka always maintained prime conditioning, always played hard, rebounded aggressively, and recognised that defence IS an actual thing.

Always liked that guy, kept expecting him to come back each year and he just never did.

Kinda thought of him as a poor man's Dwight (but without the moron attitude). 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2712818-emeka-okafor-reportedly-pursuing-nba-comeback-after-4-year-absence

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2017, 03:26:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Same man!

I remember wanting him to come to Boston badly, back towards the end of the Big 3 era.  He'd have been a great Perk replacement, would have fit so well alongside KG.

In fact I seriously think I might prefer Emeka Okafor right now (at his current age / ability) over Jahlil Okafor.  At least Emeka always maintained prime conditioning, always played hard, rebounded aggressively, and recognised that defence IS an actual thing.

Always liked that guy, kept expecting him to come back each year and he just never did.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2712818-emeka-okafor-reportedly-pursuing-nba-comeback-after-4-year-absence
Completely agree. Emeka is almost the complete reverse of Jahlil. Gives it his all on defence, not too offensively polished but always worked hard.

Not sure why he's been out for so long, but I could see a team taking a flier on a 35 year old rim protector.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2017, 05:15:16 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Pretty sure Emeka Okafor had an ongoing neck injury which meant he was never able to play again. I thought he would've been good too, a few years back.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2017, 11:01:13 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I suspect Jahlil ends up in Chicago somehow.

That "braintrust" is just silly enough to overpay too.

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2017, 11:38:04 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
I read they want to trade him... give them some seconds... he is better than zeller and can rebound... after the fultz  trade they should be willing to deal with us

I can't see how he improves the roster, or even why you'd have much hope for developing him. Poor defender, plain bad defensive rebounder, turnover-prone, high-usage, low-efficiency. It's a challenge to be optimistic about his future; you have to squint pretty hard to see the upside.

How come a guy with his size and body cannot get a defensive rebound?

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2017, 11:41:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd probably do Larkin, Nader, Yabusele, and Boston's 2018 1st (with some solid protections, like top 25, or it transfers to 2 2nd's) for Okafor.  I don't know if the Sixers would be interested in something like that of course, but if that is the sort of deal they could get, I think it would make sense for Boston.  You don't even mess up any chemistry since none of those guys were on the team last year.
Larkin, nader, yabu, and our pick are wash significantly better players than okafor.
I'd be surprised if Larkin, Nader, and Yabu combined equal the production of Okafor even last year.
Okafor’s production last year? Are you kidding? Okafor Wins Above Repacement (WAR) was -1.85 last year. -1.85. That is 3rd worst in the entire NBA. So Larkin, Nader, and Yabu could play 0 minutes the entire year, and still easily beat the “production” Okafor produced last year.
His VORP according to bball reference was -0.4

but his actual production was

22.7 mpg, 11.8 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.0 bpg, 0.4 spg, 1.8 tpg, 2.4 fpg on 51.4% from 2 and 67.1% from the line.

I can't see those 3 players do not equal that production next year.  Maybe the apg or spg, collectively, and maybe better from the line
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2017, 11:48:42 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
I'd still take him, but I'm pretty sure (and please someone with more knowledge on the subject jump in) we would need to trade out equal salary for him since we are over the cap. And there just isn't much filler left on the roster I'd be willing to trade out to match salaries. I'd rather keep Yabu, Semi or Nader. I'm not trading Brown, Smart, Rozier or Tatum. If we could just give up 2 second round picks and Larkin for him, I'd be all about it. Maybe if Baynes or Morris ends up being god awful for us, we can flip one of them for Okafor before the deadline?

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2017, 11:55:56 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Same man!

He's more than 2 years younger than Pau Gasol. Bring him in for a workout!
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2017, 12:07:15 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd probably do Larkin, Nader, Yabusele, and Boston's 2018 1st (with some solid protections, like top 25, or it transfers to 2 2nd's) for Okafor.  I don't know if the Sixers would be interested in something like that of course, but if that is the sort of deal they could get, I think it would make sense for Boston.  You don't even mess up any chemistry since none of those guys were on the team last year.
Larkin, nader, yabu, and our pick are wash significantly better players than okafor.
I'd be surprised if Larkin, Nader, and Yabu combined equal the production of Okafor even last year.
Okafor’s production last year? Are you kidding? Okafor Wins Above Repacement (WAR) was -1.85 last year. -1.85. That is 3rd worst in the entire NBA. So Larkin, Nader, and Yabu could play 0 minutes the entire year, and still easily beat the “production” Okafor produced last year.

22.7 mpg, 11.8 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.0 bpg, 0.4 spg, 1.8 tpg, 2.4 fpg on 51.4% from 2 and 67.1% from the line.

I can't see those 3 players do not equal that production next year.  Maybe the apg or spg, collectively, and maybe better from the line
but how productive is he really if he's generating negative WAR and VORP stats?  sure, score 11.8 point but give up a lot more than that because you're a defensive liability. 

I'd take flyer on him for no more than a couple of second rounders (doesn't work due to no outgoing salary) in terms of what he's worth.  wouldn't give up a player on the roster other than Larkin for him.  the suggested trade you offered is a gross overpayment.  take it to the bank that if Philly moves Okafor in a deal, they won't be getting a first rounder nor a decent prospect for him with his current trade value.

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2017, 12:26:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

but how productive is he really if he's generating negative WAR and VORP stats?  sure, score 11.8 point but give up a lot more than that because you're a defensive liability. 

I'd take flyer on him for no more than a couple of second rounders (doesn't work due to no outgoing salary) in terms of what he's worth.  wouldn't give up a player on the roster other than Larkin for him.  the suggested trade you offered is a gross overpayment.  take it to the bank that if Philly moves Okafor in a deal, they won't be getting a first rounder nor a decent prospect for him with his current trade value.
Jaylen Brown and Terry Rozier, among other Celtics, had negative VORP's last year as well.  The Sixers only had a handful of players end the year with a positive VORP.  Larkin played in the league for 3 seasons, he was a negative VORP all 3 seasons.  Nader couldn't even make the team last year and Yabu is a foreign tweener.  Maybe Yabu is great or maybe he is just another tweener Ainge fell in love with that fails.  A super late 1st round pick has very little value. 

Okafor was the 3rd pick in the draft for a reason.  He has immense talent.  Far more talent than any of those 3 Celtics or a late 1st round pick.  Okafor is an offensive beast, as shown by his actual production on that end of the floor every time he has played.  Defensively he isn't good, but the guys Boston are trading aren't good defenders either. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2017, 12:28:26 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am intrigued by Okafor.  I remember seeing flashes of outstanding play along the way.  It is not like he can't play.  He may never fulfill his full promise due to attitude or commitment or whatever but I sill see some value there.

Problem is that we are just not in a good position to match up with them for a trade.  We can't really afford to give up 3 player to get one back, even if they are expected scrubs like Yabusele and Nader (those two alone are not enough salary I don't think).  Our most viable combination is Yabusele and Rozier.  I may consider that during the season if Okafor is on the court and playing better (or at least more consistently), but not right now.

I know there is love for Rozier (which I share) but back up PGs are much easier to find than productive young bigs (assuming that Okafor shows some improvement this coming season).  In the end, seems like a hard trade to match up on.

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2017, 12:30:11 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

Same man!

We want Emeka!
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2017, 12:48:39 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

Same man!

We want Emeka!

I'd be stoked if we brought in Emeka.
If he can provide 10-15 min a game of hard nosed, smart defense we would be a far more dangerous team.
Also extra insurance if Al goes down at any point.

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2017, 07:12:09 PM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32

Jaylen Brown and Terry Rozier, among other Celtics, had negative VORP's last year as well.  The Sixers only had a handful of players end the year with a positive VORP.  Larkin played in the league for 3 seasons, he was a negative VORP all 3 seasons.  Nader couldn't even make the team last year and Yabu is a foreign tweener.  Maybe Yabu is great or maybe he is just another tweener Ainge fell in love with that fails.  A super late 1st round pick has very little value. 

Okafor was the 3rd pick in the draft for a reason.  He has immense talent.  Far more talent than any of those 3 Celtics or a late 1st round pick.  Okafor is an offensive beast, as shown by his actual production on that end of the floor every time he has played.  Defensively he isn't good, but the guys Boston are trading aren't good defenders either.

The "well he was a high draft pick so he much be good" argument doesn't hold much water when you consider how many busts there have been. I mean Michael Olowokandi was the #1 pick for a reason and we can go on and on.

Okafor is not an offensive beast. An offensive beast is someone who can score efficiently on the floor in numerous spots and can create his own shot. Not a plodding slow as a tortoise big man who is only okay posting up in certain situations which doesn't really work in today's game. Here is an excellent article about Okafor that I encourage you to read since it should change your opinion on him and open your eyes. He is simply a very flawed player who does only one thing in the NBA okay and doesn't really have a fit in today's game. This article also shows what a god awful rebounder his is.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/does-jahlil-okafor-have-a-place-in-todays-nba/

Saying he isn't good defensively is like saying Niagara Falls in just a waterfall. He is a black hole.
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/1/14785660/jahlil-okafor-worst-defense-youve-ever-seen-sixers

Philly will end up moving him for nothing cause he has little value right now.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:27:37 PM by DooVoo »