Author Topic: If both Brown and Tatum develop into their best case scenarios...  (Read 4029 times)

Re: If both Brown and Tatum develop into their best case scenarios...
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 11:57:02 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
This is funny. I was just thinking about Gerald Green and Al Jefferson becoming the stars many of us thought they would become. Haha. Time flies. Or does it?

Expectations can be a ****.  Let's wait and see, enjoying watching them learn the pro game by playing a role on a winner. 

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 11:58:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Also, if both develop into their best case scenarios, along with Irving & Hayward still on the team, odds are that you've already won a title.
Maybe maybe not.  When do players hit their prime?  How old are Hayward and Irving going to be then or along the way to then?  Can the team realistically keep all 4?

What team has better odds of winning a title, the one with Davis, Irving, and Hayward all in their 20's or the one with Brown and Tatum in their mid-20's and who knows what else (or course that presumes that Brown and Tatum are still on the team when they hit their prime which is far from a given)?

The OP didn't define a timeline, nor a prime window.  These guys wouldn't have to necessarily be at "peak prime".  If they're going in the "best case scenario" direction, even the upward trend towards peak would be at a high level.  Most likely coming within the window of Irving/Hayward being on the team.   Hence, if that happens, I think that a title is most likely happening. 

Also,  if you're in the "best case scenario" hypothetical, it'd be an overpay to trade these two guys for Anthony Davis.
You can't just assume that Brown and Tatum tomorrow are in their prime.  That is just silly nonsense. 

And again what is their best case scenario.  Is it Carmelo Anthony and Paul Pierce?  If so, is that duo more than likely winning you a title.

Adding Davis to Hayward and Irving right now is the must more likely title winning scenario.  It isn't close.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 03:22:42 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Also, if both develop into their best case scenarios, along with Irving & Hayward still on the team, odds are that you've already won a title.
Maybe maybe not.  When do players hit their prime?  How old are Hayward and Irving going to be then or along the way to then?  Can the team realistically keep all 4?

What team has better odds of winning a title, the one with Davis, Irving, and Hayward all in their 20's or the one with Brown and Tatum in their mid-20's and who knows what else (or course that presumes that Brown and Tatum are still on the team when they hit their prime which is far from a given)?

The OP didn't define a timeline, nor a prime window.  These guys wouldn't have to necessarily be at "peak prime".  If they're going in the "best case scenario" direction, even the upward trend towards peak would be at a high level.  Most likely coming within the window of Irving/Hayward being on the team.   Hence, if that happens, I think that a title is most likely happening. 

Also,  if you're in the "best case scenario" hypothetical, it'd be an overpay to trade these two guys for Anthony Davis.
You can't just assume that Brown and Tatum tomorrow are in their prime.  That is just silly nonsense. 

And again what is their best case scenario.  Is it Carmelo Anthony and Paul Pierce?  If so, is that duo more than likely winning you a title.

Adding Davis to Hayward and Irving right now is the must more likely title winning scenario.  It isn't close.

Ah yes, your tiresome "silly nonsense" quip.    The silly part is really you getting flustered with a rather undefined hypothetical & the seemingly lack of reading comprehension since no one talked about "tomorrow". 

While what "best case" ultimately ends up being for two guys drafted in the top 3 is a bit ambigous, it's safe to say, based on historical NBA, that the ceilings would be pretty [dang] high.   So if we're taking this hypothetical at its face which is "best case", its not hard to draw the conclusion that this means "all star".   To get to prime, you have to first get there.

Even if their prime is a half decade away, its going to be rather apparent quick that they will be heading there in a "best case" scenario and not really far-fetched to believe that the quick rises will coincide with Irving & Hayward since both are with the Celtics through at least '18-19.   Also, not far fetched to believe that "best case" Tatum & Brown along with Irving & Hayward (oh yeah, & Horford) could win a title.  So why trade best case Tatum & Brown for Anthony Davis?  You're trading two guys trending towards or already NBA all stars and coming off a title.    As you love to shout time to time on these boards "Danny should be fired on the spot".  I'm guessing you'd be doing that very thing in this instance. 

Again, it's a freakin' hypothetical.    In real world, yes, adding Davis to Hayward & Irving right now does make them much more likely to win the title.  However, that's not the premise of what's being presented here.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 04:17:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Ah yes, your tiresome "silly nonsense" quip.    The silly part is really you getting flustered with a rather undefined hypothetical & the seemingly lack of reading comprehension since no one talked about "tomorrow". 

While what "best case" ultimately ends up being for two guys drafted in the top 3 is a bit ambigous, it's safe to say, based on historical NBA, that the ceilings would be pretty [dang] high.   So if we're taking this hypothetical at its face which is "best case", its not hard to draw the conclusion that this means "all star".   To get to prime, you have to first get there.

Even if their prime is a half decade away, its going to be rather apparent quick that they will be heading there in a "best case" scenario and not really far-fetched to believe that the quick rises will coincide with Irving & Hayward since both are with the Celtics through at least '18-19.   Also, not far fetched to believe that "best case" Tatum & Brown along with Irving & Hayward (oh yeah, & Horford) could win a title.  So why trade best case Tatum & Brown for Anthony Davis?  You're trading two guys trending towards or already NBA all stars and coming off a title.    As you love to shout time to time on these boards "Danny should be fired on the spot".  I'm guessing you'd be doing that very thing in this instance. 

Again, it's a freakin' hypothetical.    In real world, yes, adding Davis to Hayward & Irving right now does make them much more likely to win the title.  However, that's not the premise of what's being presented here.
The premise of any team sport is to win the title, so yeah that pretty much is the premise.  Which scenario makes Boston the most likely to win a title.  And when that scenario also has a realistic 6 year title winning window, then it is a pretty easy choice. 

I would absolutely trade rookie 19 year old Carmelo Anthony and 2nd year 20 year old Paul Pierce for 24 year old Anthony Davis, especially when I had 27 year old Gordon Hayward and 25 year old Kyrie Irving already on my team, not to mention 31 year old Al Horford. 

And here is the thing, so would Ainge.  That is exactly the type of trade Ainge makes time and time again. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 04:28:00 PM »

Offline MasterEmile

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 46
How about if you know in hindsight that J and J will hit their top potentials after a number of years...

And by best case scenarios I mean what most people project them to be, the most common comparisons being Jimmy Butler and Paul Pierce.

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 06:44:17 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Best case scenario? So Paul Pierce and Jimmy Butler?

That's a tough trade to make. But, if they're both at that level, you only need to trade one. With Hayward on the roster, you obviously make that deal.

Best case scenario- I think Tatum and Brown will be better than Pierce and Butler. This scenario isn't likely, but I think Tatum is capable of scoring 30ppg, and Brown can be a Dominique level athlete. Again, not likely, but this is what I think is their ceiling.

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 06:52:07 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sometimes I think Brown's ceiling is a slightly better version of Jeff Green.   He has a lot of uneven performances, I get he is young, but some young guys do not have as many.  Other nights he looks great.

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 07:16:33 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Sometimes I think Brown's ceiling is a slightly better version of Jeff Green.   He has a lot of uneven performances, I get he is young, but some young guys do not have as many.  Other nights he looks great.

Besides both having a last name that is also a color Green and Brown have notihng in common as players.

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 08:29:54 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I would trade Paul pierce and jimmy butler for Anthony Davis, especially on this team that are ready has scorers.  Add in the timeline aspect and it's  an brainer.

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2017, 09:25:44 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Besides both having a last name that is also a color Green and Brown have notihng in common as players.

I think you're wrong there.  Both could or can leap and can dunk and generally are athletic and lengthy.   Both play unevenly in terms of performance, good game and disappearing game.   So yeah, they have some similarities.

I want Jaylen to succeed but he needs to get more confidence in other areas of the game than dunking.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 07:11:27 AM by Celtics4ever »