Author Topic: How to accept Kyrie's Wokeness  (Read 5384 times)

Re: How to accept Kyrie's Wokeness
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 03:42:31 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
As long as his not hitting women or doing other illegal stuff then I could care less about this. Put the ball in the basket.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 03:49:22 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I actually like that he's a weirdo.  I hope he gets weirder.
TP to this.

But even if Kyrie is a little out-there,  I think more than anything he's a guy who just isn't comfortable in front of a camera talking to media people.

I've gone back and listened to some of Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye's podcast and Kyrie appears a bunch. The two episodes with him I've listened to, Kyrie is laid back, charming, and thoughtful. He's not stiff and and misusing ten cent words like he was on First Take or during his initial Celtic press conference.

Look, also, at the exchange he had with Brian Scalabrine right before an interview (where he asks if its ok to call Scal White Mamba). Kyrie seems cool to me. And after that, Scal has him in a comfortable place so when the camera starts rolling, Kyrie can sit and have a conversation and I think he came off well. But when he's having to stare down the barrel of a camera and talk to reporters, he looks really uncomfortable and tries too hard to be "professional" or something.

To me, that's a big piece of the puzzle when asking "Why would Kyrie leave a good situation?" I think the drama and media attention (both sports and entertainment) that Lebron James brings made him uncomfortable and he didn't want to deal with the circus anymore.

Boston will have its own media circus for Kyrie to deal with but it'll be local, not international.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 03:57:30 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
What does woke actually mean? I only heard it used with respect to awareness of social issues.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 04:11:37 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 05:05:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
What does woke actually mean? I only heard it used with respect to awareness of social issues.

That is what it means, being aware of social issues.   Though admittedly, I had to google it.

I could care less about Kyries wokeness as long as he plays well for our team.   

I think Wokeness depends on your perspective.   I judge people individually, which many Social Justice Warriors do not.   So it is not for me, for some I imagine,  it fills a void in their life. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:13:00 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 05:28:44 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
Dude thinks the earth is flat (might be trolling, but I can't tell) and recently stated that he doesn't have an ego. The guy is open to new ideas and has an interest in science and philosophy (Ie; uses internet) but he talks out of his ass as much as any other athlete. Everyone has an ego (I think he may have just misused the term, though). Kyrie is just a 25 year old, intelligent, hard working but pampered athlete. He's interesting and honest, but that doesn't mean he's correct about anything. I like him though- I'll be looking forward to every interview.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 05:32:35 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 864
  • GOT IT!!!

It's been too long since we had a guy who gave totally off the wall interviews.  I've missed that since KG got traded.

I actually think he's a robot. The more I listen to him talk the more he says a lot of words without actually answering the question. Basically a politician. I bet he is a completely different person around people he actually trusts.

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 05:34:54 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think a lot of it is that he's just playing public, namely the media, much like Rondo did.

I think a lot of it is calculated and not necessarily off the cuff.  He knows what he's doing (I think).

My two cents.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 05:38:10 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Dude thinks the earth is flat ...
I'm not sure.  He seems too intelligent to actually believe it.

In any case, I really don't care about the other stuff.  Let's see him on the court with the Celtics first.

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 08:25:44 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
When is preseason season starting again.  :-X

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2017, 08:26:01 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Dude thinks the earth is flat ...
I'm not sure.  He seems too intelligent to actually believe it.

In any case, I really don't care about the other stuff.  Let's see him on the court with the Celtics first.

His media statements may be incoherent, but there's no way he actually believes the earth is flat. He was just trying to make some sort of deep statement. Incoherently.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2017, 08:52:43 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Most of his perceived 'weirdness' stems from the fact that he takes extra time before he speaks. It' just his composure during interviews. I don't think he's uncomfortable at all. I think he's totally confident in his intellect and ability to respond to whatever someone might ask.

He also kind of sounds like therapist (psychology) when he talks. very soothing and calm, Which throws people off and does sound a little artificial when you hear it. But he can talk however he wants.

He's just willing to be the smartest person in the room if no one else is going to say anything smart.

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2017, 08:55:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

It's been too long since we had a guy who gave totally off the wall interviews.  I've missed that since KG got traded.
This is how I see it. I want more weird
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2017, 11:22:00 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I just listened to episode 7 of the Road Trippin' podcast, which is Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye's podcast. I think this is where all the flat-Earth stuff started.

And I gotta say... I don't think he was trolling. He seems to be legitimately think that the Earth is flat. He also seems to be convinced of some kind of conspiracy theory about Neil Armstrong never having actually walked on the moon and that there's a lot of shady business surrounding the JFK assassination.

So he's a conspiracy theory guy. He doesn't trust a lot of the information a lot of us assume is correct because we're told by some authority.

He also comes off to me as someone who generally cares about people, fwiw.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2017, 11:30:15 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I just listened to episode 7 of the Road Trippin' podcast, which is Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye's podcast. I think this is where all the flat-Earth stuff started.

And I gotta say... I don't think he was trolling. He seems to be legitimately think that the Earth is flat. He also seems to be convinced of some kind of conspiracy theory about Neil Armstrong never having actually walked on the moon and that there's a lot of shady business surrounding the JFK assassination.

So he's a conspiracy theory guy. He doesn't trust a lot of the information a lot of us assume is correct because we're told by some authority.

He also comes off to me as someone who generally cares about people, fwiw.

I watched that video too, and I got to say...

He's an masterful troller.

When Irving popped up on The Road Trippin’ podcast with Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye during the All-Star break, he broke social media with his belief of a flat Earth versus a round one. His stance went viral in a matter of moments, giving the 25-year-old more off-court attention than he’d gotten in the past.

It sounds like that was the whole point.

https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/832770937078571008/video/1

Joe Vardon ✔ @joevardon
It drove Kyrie nuts that we didn't care what he had to say about politics, racial and social issues. Only LeBron
Joe Vardon ✔ @joevardon
That's why the whole 'flat Earth' thing happened. Kyrie said something dumb on a podcast, and suddenly everyone cared

Kyrie Irving's issue has always been the shadow of LBJ. Lebron eclipsed over everything Kyrie Irving did. Hell, even an reporter asked a numbingly dumb question, "how does Lebron fit the role of parental guidance, or being a father figure?"
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 11:36:37 AM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2017, 11:44:55 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Yeah as long as it doesn't affect his play it's kinda neat to have the Jaden Smith of point guards. Definitely better than boring boilerplate answers for everything. Kinda like Rondo except the deadpan sarcasm sometimes isn't sarcasm.