Author Topic: IT maybe "damaged goods" but so is Irving....  (Read 3146 times)

Re: IT maybe "damaged goods" but so is Irving....
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 10:46:25 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
The clean chop--not having to deal with injury concerns and when he gets back and how he plays and for how long or surgery or no surgery and salary negotiations.I think a lot of young players get hurt early in careers but learn how and when to put it on.Irving is not an above rim player
In one way we got the smart smooth players-horford,tatum,hayward and irving-
Then we got the grit /tough guys Rozier,smart and morris-then then the big strong guys yabuselea (boxer), ojeleye( best athlete combine) and baynes (rugby).
Irving says he wants to be a point guard not just a scorer and make everyone better -is that damaged

Irving is a one on one player....has been his whole life.

He's got mad handles and drives to the rim.....all that crossing over and stop and go can't be good for his knees in the long run. He doesn't have to be an above the rim player.

He's one step or one landing from a serious injury.

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 11:32:36 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I do think it's odd that some people talk like Kyrie is more durable, that IT's game makes him more susceptible to injury, etc.

Kyrie has obviously had some injury issues, and they're somewhat concerning. In 6 seasons, he has missed 60 games more than IT. On average, Kyrie misses 20% of the regular season every year, while IT has only missed six games, total, the last two seasons.

So, "damaged goods" might be strong, but history tells us we won't be getting an iron man.
Can you really not figure out why the older player with the serious hip injury is a bigger injury concern than the guy who hasn't had a serious injury since 2015?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 11:38:05 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I do think it's odd that some people talk like Kyrie is more durable, that IT's game makes him more susceptible to injury, etc.

Kyrie has obviously had some injury issues, and they're somewhat concerning. In 6 seasons, he has missed 60 games more than IT. On average, Kyrie misses 20% of the regular season every year, while IT has only missed six games, total, the last two seasons.

So, "damaged goods" might be strong, but history tells us we won't be getting an iron man.
Can you really not figure out why the older player with the serious hip injury is a bigger injury concern than the guy who hasn't had a serious injury since 2015?

/thread

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 11:53:11 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

/thread

I think he's just pointing to some level of hypocrisy.  The same people negging IT for his injury history are likely discounting Kyrie's injury history.  Kyrie's time missed is probably in part due to the Cavs just resting. But he's had a ton of injuries and always seems to be playing hurt. My concern would be him becoming more injury prone if he actually starts to play defense.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:41:43 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 12:00:17 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
He's one step or one landing from a serious injury.

The same can be said for pretty much every player in the league.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 12:07:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

/thread

Except neither the thread title, nor my response, suggests that IT is healthier at present.

Rather, many fans are arguing that even if he returns, IT isn't worth the risk of a large contract because his game won't hold up over time. For those fans worried about durability, it makes sense to see how durable Kyrie is, doesn't it?

As I said, Kyrie isn't "damaged goods", but he's not particularly durable, either.  Please try to add something of substance next time.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 12:39:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

/thread

Except neither the thread title, nor my response, suggests that IT is healthier at present.

Rather, many fans are arguing that even if he returns, IT isn't worth the risk of a large contract because his game won't hold up over time. For those fans worried about durability, it makes sense to see how durable Kyrie is, doesn't it?

As I said, Kyrie isn't "damaged goods", but he's not particularly durable, either.  Please try to add something of substance next time.

Roy I got to say this end of your post really doesn't seem like the kind of thing you normally write.  I thought that pointing out that Irving is both younger and does currently have an injury at this time kind of succinctly puts to bed the false equivalency of this thread title. If this thread said IT maybe damaged goods, but Irving has missed games in his career, that would be a reasonable phrasing (but not really groundbreaking). As it stands, it is not really a reasonable title or point.

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 02:27:32 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
The last 4 seasons he's played 71, 75, 53, and 72 regular season games. The 53 game 2015/2016 season can be blamed on Coach Blatt playing him 44 minutes in the 1st game of the 2015 Finals when he was injured to the point he'd been missing games and playing limited minutes in the prior 2 playoff series. He missed lots of games in the 2015/2016 season recovering from off season surgery.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:38:27 PM by alley oop »

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 02:45:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

/thread

Roy I got to say this end of your post really doesn't seem like the kind of thing you normally write.  I thought that pointing out that Irving is both younger and does currently have an injury at this time kind of succinctly puts to bed the false equivalency of this thread title. If this thread said IT maybe damaged goods, but Irving has missed games in his career, that would be a reasonable phrasing (but not really groundbreaking). As it stands, it is not really a reasonable title or point.

"/thread" isn't adding anything of any value to a thread. Your response here is fine, the prior one wasn't.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2017, 03:33:55 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I fully expect Kyrie to miss time during the reg season. If he plays around 70 games, that's fine. It's the playoffs that count and I don't think he misses much time (if any) in the playoffs.

I'm not even thinking about IT anymore. There's plenty of reasons to be excited for the season. I'd much rather focus on Kyrie, Hayward, Smart, Brown, etc. for this upcoming season!
- LilRip

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2017, 03:45:10 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
But, seriously guys (and gals), how many of those games were LEGITIMATE injuries and not just "injuries" to rest a star and keep him fresh for the playoffs??  Do you REALLY believe that the Cavs did not do that?

Smitty77

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2017, 03:59:12 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I don't have any concerns about Kyrie's talent, his personality, or his style of play. I'm excited to see him in green.

But his durability is a real concern for me. He's never played more than 75 games. In a 6 year career he's missed between 23-31 games 3 times. It's not a huge worry but it's there.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2017, 04:02:54 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Lol wow can't believe there are some people here who're still sour over the trade.

Accept the reality- Irving is our starting PG today, tomorrow and for years to come.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2017, 04:21:12 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Lol wow can't believe there are some people here who're still sour over the trade.

Accept the reality- Irving is our starting PG today, tomorrow and for years to come.

They will accept it I think they just have to see it first.  Right now everyone is going off emotion to the point where threads are dedicated to the idea that Irving is more of a health risk then IT, which is an absolutely ridiculous notion contrived from heart ache.

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2017, 04:26:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  Right now everyone is going off emotion to the point where threads are dedicated to the idea that Irving is more of a health risk then IT, which is an absolutely ridiculous notion contrived from heart ache.

Or, contrived from straw? Is there such a thread? I haven't seen it.