Author Topic: Kyrie on First Take Right Now / Reactions to his Interview  (Read 11525 times)

Re: Kyrie on First Take Right Now / Reactions to his Interview
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2017, 10:39:34 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I just watched a good chunk of the interview.  Man, this kid... 

I really, really dislike Kyrie Irving. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2017, 11:04:55 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I actually like him more after these interviews.

I am so happy to hear him say (pretty emphatically) that no, he DOESN'T need to tell Lebron about what he's doing. 

I'm so sick to death of people riding Lebron's schlong like he's god of the NBA.  He's a [dang] NBA player, just like every other NBA player.  He just happens to be an elite one - but he's still just a player.  He's not a team owner, he's not a GM, he's not a head coach.  He's not somebody who should have any decision making power within an organisation, and it's honestly none of his business what Kyrie decides to do with his career.

Has Lebron told Kyrie if he's going to stay in Cleveland next year?  Hell no he hasn't.  Did he tell his Cavs teammates before he left to sign in Miami the first time around? Hell no he didn't.  Did he tell Wade/Bosh before he decided to leave and sign in Clevleand?  Hell no he didn't - they were shocked when they found out. 

So why should Kyrie bestow this honour upon Lebron when he's never given that same honour to any of his past teamates?

Lebron gets given special treatment and is held to a different standard to everybody else, and it's garbage.

« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2017, 11:38:26 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Kyrie is on 1st Take right now, getting interviewed by Max and Stephen A.

He sounds hungry to show he can be a true point guard and like he wants to shut up those who say he can't or won't play defense (I.E. Max Kellerman).

http://www.espn.com/watch/

Who dat?

Forgive me if I'm missing a joke or something, Kellerman is the co-host of First Take.  He put Kyrie on the spot about playing good D at times, but generally being happy just coasting.

Nope, no joke this time.  All I know about Mad Max and the Thunderdome (okay, one joke :laugh:) is that he replaced Skip Bayless, and other than seeing a thing that said he was a boxing announcer or something and was suspended from ESPN for domestic violence, iirc, I honestly know nothing about him and not just because I have no interest in boxing.  Dude just came out of nowhere.  Eh, it's just as well.  First Take is basically The View for guys, anyway, imo, and represents a lot of what is wrong with America.  Well, to me, at least, but I'm weird :-\.

« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2017, 11:55:54 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

What are Kyrie's priorities that you disagree with?

His brand over winning.

Himself over team.

Didn't realize you and Kyrie had such a close relationship that you can so adeptly assess his priorities.
"I was just very patient in my approach.  Understanding what the magnitude of the moment was.  I wasn't going to allow anything else to get in the way of our team's success.  I was just very diligent, very professional in terms of this whole entire process."

I know he is prone to not making sense in how he puts his sentences together, but when he says "our team's success" it surely looks like he is talking about his personal team... his brand.

I honestly have no idea how you managed to twist his words around in your mind to draw that conclusion...based on the context (the question that was asked) and his answer, I think it's pretty obvious that his answer is indicative of complete selflessness. 

The questions at the time were basically asking:
* Has he been contemplating this for a while?
* Was the thought of leaving already on his mind during the season / playoffs / finals?
* If so, why did he keep it to himself during that time and not tell his team / teammates sooner?

His answer is that:
1: Yes, this was on his mind for a while

2: Yes, he was thinking of it well before last season's the playoffs / finals run

3: He didn't say anything because his team was focussed on winning a title, he wanted to focus 100% of his energy on the task at hand (winning), and he didn't want his personal ambitions / decisions to create a distraction to the team

I don't see how he could have answered any better.  If news of him wanting to move on came out during the playoffs, it absolutely would have created a media frenzy and a massive distraction for both the Cleveland staff and the team.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:24:32 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2017, 12:30:51 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
He won me over when he boldly requested out. He's his own man, and he wants to evolve elsewhere.

Flat Earth (serious or not), he strikes me as an intelligent guy.
I love that he's geeked out to be a Celtic.

Kellerman was so visibly desperate to lay into him, challenge him and get reactions .... I'm not surprised Irving ignored him.

« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2017, 12:42:42 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Kyrie is on 1st Take right now, getting interviewed by Max and Stephen A.

He sounds hungry to show he can be a true point guard and like he wants to shut up those who say he can't or won't play defense (I.E. Max Kellerman).

http://www.espn.com/watch/

Who dat?

Forgive me if I'm missing a joke or something, Kellerman is the co-host of First Take.  He put Kyrie on the spot about playing good D at times, but generally being happy just coasting.

Nope, no joke this time.  All I know about Mad Max and the Thunderdome (okay, one joke :laugh:) is that he replaced Skip Bayless, and other than seeing a thing that said he was a boxing announcer or something and was suspended from ESPN for domestic violence, iirc, I honestly know nothing about him and not just because I have no interest in boxing.  Dude just came out of nowhere.  Eh, it's just as well.  First Take is basically The View for guys, anyway, imo, and represents a lot of what is wrong with America.  Well, to me, at least, but I'm weird :-\.

A fair summary lol

It is a bit of a joke - between First Take and Undisputed, I honestly don't know which of the two is more ridiculous. 

First take is ridiculous because it does not matter WHAT argument Stephen A Smith comes up with or WHAT subject that argument is about - it's an absolute given that Max Kellerman will always take the complete opposite position.  Either they are the only two people on the face of the earth who can't ever find a single subject that they agree on, or Max just argues the opposite of Stephen A every single time not because he believes it, but just purely for the sake of creating argument/debate.

And Undisputed is ridiculous because somehow, someway, every single basketball related discussion somehow ends up coming down to Shanon riding Lebron's 'dingdong' while Skip tries to find ways to emphasise every time Lebron has failed at anything.

It's all pretty pathetic really, but I watch it from time to time because they all get so heated nd defensive that it's actually quite entertaining haha

« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2017, 12:48:17 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
He won me over when he boldly requested out. He's his own man, and he wants to evolve elsewhere.

Flat Earth (serious or not), he strikes me as an intelligent guy.
I love that he's geeked out to be a Celtic.

Kellerman was so visibly desperate to lay into him, challenge him and get reactions .... I'm not surprised Irving ignored him.

Yeh, I honestly felt Kellerman was incredibly rude (and is in general) and for no justifiable reason - purely in an attempt to try to lure him into saying something that would make him look like a bad guy.

To Stephen A's credit at least he will apologise if he asks a question that come across rude, or he'll at least try to be reasonable.  For Kyrie to have the balls to come on the show, when he knows full well he's going to get attacked - I respect that.  For Max to have a guess on the show and then blatantly attack him the entire time is IMHO just a classless move.

By around midway through the session you could see Kyrie was getting visibly frustrated, and huge credit to him for holding his tongue and not losing his cool.  I feel like every single interview Kyrie has taken so far has been filed with loaded questions trying to catch him out, put him on the sport, and trick him into saying negative things about the Cavs or his ex-teammates.  It's a credit to him that so far, he's been able to avoid doing that and has remained 100% professional. 

« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2017, 01:04:44 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I am so happy to hear him say (pretty emphatically) that no, he DOESN'T need to tell Lebron about what he's doing. 

I'm so sick to death of people riding Lebron's schlong like he's god of the NBA.  He's a [dang] NBA player, just like every other NBA player.  He just happens to be an elite one - but he's still just a player.  He's not a team owner, he's not a GM, he's not a head coach.  He's not somebody who should have any decision making power within an organisation, and it's honestly none of his business what Kyrie decides to do with his career.

Has Lebron told Kyrie if he's going to stay in Cleveland next year?  Hell no he hasn't.  Did he tell his Cavs teammates before he left to sign in Miami the first time around? Hell no he didn't.  Did he tell Wade/Bosh before he decided to leave and sign in Clevleand?  Hell no he didn't - they were shocked when they found out. 

So why should Kyrie bestow this honour upon Lebron when he's never given that same honour to any of his past teamates?

Lebron gets given special treatment and is held to a different standard to everybody else, and it's garbage.

I imagine that that would be quite, well, hard *groan*, given all dem roids :laugh:. Let me see that schlong...:laugh:

All jokes aside, this is nothing compared to Michael Jordan's network, I mean, NBC, during the 90s.  Christ, you had a close personal friend as the main sideline reporter and jackasses like Bob Costas who probably had to be literally pulled out of dat angus following Jordan's retirement on the air constantly reminding viewers that MJ's poop just didn't stink, not to mention other minions like Jim Gray attempting to infiltrate Indiana's locker room to get a look at the plays, etc., on their white boards during the 1998 Eastern Conference Finals, at every turn.  Barf.  I just wish that someone had had the balls to ask Jordan and Pippen how they somehow never managed to foul despite routinely ripping guys' arms off and bumping them up the court, etc. I guess it's like David Stern said to Tommy during the 2010 Finals, "Maybe they just don't foul."  Tommy rolled his eyes.  L m a o I love that man :laugh:.

« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2017, 01:43:15 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

I imagine that that would be quite, well, hard *groan*, given all dem roids :laugh:. Let me see that schlong...:laugh:

All jokes aside, this is nothing compared to Michael Jordan's network, I mean, NBC, during the 90s.  Christ, you had a close personal friend as the main sideline reporter and jackasses like Bob Costas who probably had to be literally pulled out of dat angus following Jordan's retirement on the air constantly reminding viewers that MJ's poop just didn't stink, not to mention other minions like Jim Gray attempting to infiltrate Indiana's locker room to get a look at the plays, etc., on their white boards during the 1998 Eastern Conference Finals, at every turn.  Barf.  I just wish that someone had had the balls to ask Jordan and Pippen how they somehow never managed to foul despite routinely ripping guys' arms off and bumping them up the court, etc. I guess it's like David Stern said to Tommy during the 2010 Finals, "Maybe they just don't foul."  Tommy rolled his eyes.  L m a o I love that man :laugh:.

Totes man...the bias the media has in favour of Lebron is just shameful.

Kyrie said that he doesn't believe he had any obligation to tell Lebron of his plans, and it seems every publication out there is trying to shame him for it.

If I grow tired of my job and decide I want to move on, and that I'll be interviewing for new jobs, is there an expectation that I go up to the biggest hot-shot member of my team and tell him about it?  Of course there isn't.  Not only is it not expected, it's unprofessional. 

If anything I would notify my manager personally (in private) of my decision as a courtesy so that he/she has sufficient notice to start looking for a replacement staff member, while I myself am out looking for a replacement job.  That way I am giving them the best opportunity to move on from me as seamlessly as possible.

I'm not gong to go up to the top hot-shot staff member in my team and say "hey man, don't tell anybody this - but I'm over this place, I'm going to start looking for jobs and taking interviews!! Shh, don't tell anyone!!!  Oh and here is why I'm moving on...". 

That's not professional to tell a staff member before telling the business, and it's none of his [dang] business what my reasons are.

Only time I'd tell a staff member is if there is somebody in my team that I am very close to and have complete trust in, then maybe.  That's it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 01:48:36 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2017, 01:58:56 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
A fair summary lol

It is a bit of a joke - between First Take and Undisputed, I honestly don't know which of the two is more ridiculous. 

First take is ridiculous because it does not matter WHAT argument Stephen A Smith comes up with or WHAT subject that argument is about - it's an absolute given that Max Kellerman will always take the complete opposite position.  Either they are the only two people on the face of the earth who can't ever find a single subject that they agree on, or Max just argues the opposite of Stephen A every single time not because he believes it, but just purely for the sake of creating argument/debate.

And Undisputed is ridiculous because somehow, someway, every single basketball related discussion somehow ends up coming down to Shanon riding Lebron's 'dingdong' while Skip tries to find ways to emphasise every time Lebron has failed at anything.

It's all pretty pathetic really, but I watch it from time to time because they all get so heated nd defensive that it's actually quite entertaining haha

Hmm, sounds more like a mix of Crossfire and The View.  Where's Jon Stewart when you need him? #I'mNotYourMonkey Anyway, what I noticed once during First Take when Skip was there was that while the latter was going off, Stephen A. wasn't even paying attention.  The guy was literally playing around on his iPad and then spends the next five minutes, at least, acting outraged at some part of whatever Skip said while ignoring everything else so that the rest of the "segment" is devoted to clearing up any confusion between those two clowns, hence my comment about how the show represents all that is wrong with this country.  It's not that we don't understand each other, it's that we don't even listen.  I mean, yeah, I get it, it's all rehearsed and stuff, but could you at least pretend to pay attention?

As for that other show, I've seen a segment or two on YouTube and I must say that what really bugs me about such a format is that here you've got a moron and Shannon "The Permanent Marker" "Sharpe :laugh: arguing about anything related to basketball.  Just stop.  I don't like football, but stay in your lane, Sharpe, lol.  Like that guy knows anything about basketball ::).  Yeah, I know, he's a former athlete, but that doesn't qualify him to talk about a sport he knows nothing about, at least imo, anyway.  It's just like Lou Merloni giving his "take" on anything related to the Celtics.  Please, just shut up, or Tom E. Curran during the Eastern Conference Finals literally saying that, while he wasn't in favor of physicality of the Kevin McHale-Kurt Rambis variety from 1983, - and which he uttered as if he knew everything, I might add - he did think that Boston needed to be tougher with Lebron.  Again, 1983, really?  What a moron.  You're a football guy.  You get more than enough time to talk about your dumb sport, so please don't attempt to pontificate on a subject about which you know absolutely nothing as evidenced by that "take", a word which I've come to hate.  I don't watch any of that crap, anymore, although I never really did in the first place.  Just give me Mike and Tommy and the rest of you please go away. #HeardItThroughTheDrapeVine

I also stopped watching ESPN in 2012 after Neil Everett mocked Paul Pierce following game 2 against the Heat, during which he fouled out, and the joke was something like why wasn't Pierce in the back in a wheelchair?  Seriously.  The pro-Lebron and pro-Kobe crap was already too much, and I know that ESPN has never liked the Celtics given that we have beaten those two golden boys in the past, but personally mocking a player?  That's taking it too far, in my eyes, and I haven't watched ESPN since then, which, from the look of things, seems to have been a good move, lol, as I'm certainly not missing out on anything :laugh:. I don't miss any of those clowns.

Unrelated: I'll give Kayce Smith credit - from the little I've seen and researched about her experience prior to coming to CSNNE - she really knows her stuff, but does it bother anyone else that she looks like she's going to a bar/party half the time that she's on the air?  Shouldn't she be wearing "professional attire" or whatever?  I just think it's ridiculous that the guys mostly wear some form of a dress shirt and/or a suit - particularly guests - and here she is in green leather leggings, heels, and a choker, not to mention a host of other inappropriate tops, imo, for TV.  Hello, isn't that what Instagram is for? ;) ::) :laugh: Case in point, look at this stuff -

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT7vhOSl8S4/?hl=en&taken-by=kayce_smith

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUiZCD9F3Wm/?hl=en&taken-by=kayce_smith

In theory, I guess that I'm supposed to be a part of the "target demographic", here, but it really p---es me off.  In before someone posts this Jack Nicholson gif, btw, lol :laugh: -

Whatever.  Okay, end of rant :laugh:.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 02:05:34 AM by Beat LA »