Author Topic: Kyrie on First Take Right Now / Reactions to his Interview  (Read 11499 times)

Re: Kyrie on First Take Right Now / Reactions to his Interview
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2017, 09:21:37 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
The questions by those 2 asses made me realize why Kyrie wanted out - they basically ask him if he asked LeBUM for permission to seek a trade.  Any man would feel belittled in an environment like that.

« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2017, 09:32:45 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

What are Kyrie's priorities that you disagree with?

His brand over winning.

Himself over team.

Didn't realize you and Kyrie had such a close relationship that you can so adeptly assess his priorities.

Lol. Are those things you need to be close friends to assess?

Kyrie has talked about this being a business, and wanting to expand his brand. He felt the need to leave a three-time Finalist to do that.

I see it more like this:

It's widely assumed LBJ is leaving CLE next year. Kyrie has already experienced CLE without LBJ, and it wasn't pretty. The CLE organization has clearly put a priority on keeping LBJ happy, possibly at the expense of Kyrie's happiness. The Cleveland organization is currently in a state of (perpetual?) chaos.

IMHO Kyrie is simply leaving before LBJ leaves him high and dry next year, and I see nothing wrong with that.

What's the motivation to leave BEFORE Lebron leaves though?  Why not just contend for a championship again this year and force a trade next year when Lebron leaves?  You're not in any worse of a position then. 

This was an emotional decision based on reasoning none of us are privy too.  If you want to "grow your brand" the best way to do that is by winning another championship.  If you want to "elevate your game and work on your craft" you do that by training with the best player in the world and competing at and against the highest level every day.  Does it really make sense to anyone that in year 6, after having the best statistical season of his career, Kyrie is suddenly concerned he's not being coached up enough?

The only thing I'm sure about after that interview is that Kyrie wasn't being 100% forthright.  Any time someone gives a 1000 word answer where a 1 word answer would suffice you know the BS is flowing.

My best guess is that after the finals Lebron told Kyrie that his lack of defense hurt the team.  Kyrie, tired of hearing for years how much his defense sucks when he's a transcendent offensive player who's not allowed to run his team's offense, took it poorly started passive-aggressively sniping at Lebron on social media and then forced a trade to Boston.

And you know what?  It doesn't really matter.  Maybe he thinks he's better than Lebron, maybe he thinks he could out-coach Tyronn Lue, maybe he really wanted to play with his friend Jason Tatum.  At some point the interviews will stop and this guy will have to lace up and play.  We'll know a lot more about him after this 82 game season than we would after 82 more interviews like that.   

It took me a long time to figure it out, but the player Kyrie reminds me of the most is Kareem Abdul-Jabar.  Kareem was another ego-centric unstoppable offensive player that wanted to seem more profoundly intelligent than everyone else, and never wanted to play defense.  Like Kyrie, Kareem could do things offensively no one else was capable of.  Also like Kyrie, Kareem was a first overall pick who played his first six seasons in Milwaukee winning one championship before requesting a trade.

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2017, 10:36:28 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Newsflash: Many high achievers are singularly focused. In all industries and roles.

I would love to hear people break down how selfish CEOs, popstars, etc. are.

Yes, basketball is a team game, but it attracts stars with huge egos. People that have been lauded since they were 8 years old.

From this perspective, I don't find Kyrie to be that selfish, on a relative basis.

« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2017, 10:50:25 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

His brand over winning.

Himself over team.

Didn't realize you and Kyrie had such a close relationship that you can so adeptly assess his priorities.
"I was just very patient in my approach.  Understanding what the magnitude of the moment was.  I wasn't going to allow anything else to get in the way of our team's success.  I was just very diligent, very professional in terms of this whole entire process."

I know he is prone to not making sense in how he puts his sentences together, but when he says "our team's success" it surely looks like he is talking about his personal team... his brand.

« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2017, 10:53:22 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

His brand over winning.

Himself over team.

"I was just very patient in my approach.  Understanding what the magnitude of the moment was.  I wasn't going to allow anything else to get in the way of our team's success.  I was just very diligent, very professional in terms of this whole entire process."

I know he is prone to not making sense in how he puts his sentences together, but when he says "our team's success" it surely looks like he is talking about his personal team... his brand.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about keeping his discontent on the DL so as not to disrupt his team's success, as in the Cavs.  After all, it wasn't Kyrie that leaked his trade demands.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2017, 11:04:43 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I'm laughing at people crying about Kyrie wanting to get out of Lebrons shadow.

The reality is the Celtics, NOT THE CAVS, will have the best chance to win a ring in the east over the next 5 years. 

The Cavs are done, they are have ONE more run in them, and everyone knows it.

Why is this conversation about Kyrie wanting to be the man? He is obviously going to the team that gives him the best chance to win over the next 5 years. 

Does anyone here want to dispute that? I havent heard Lebron commit to the Cavs. He won't.

The Cavs are done after 1 year, Kyrie jumped ship 1 year earlier then Lebron is going to jump ship.

Keep talking about how Kyrie is selfish though, that's all you have.

« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2017, 11:05:00 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Has he mentioned the reality that he lives in, or discussed things that are humanely human?

He emphasizes reality and human so much it makes me wonder if he used to believe he was captured by a UFO and he now repeats that he's a human who lives in a reality-based world as part of his recovery.

Entirely possible.  He may also be a philosopher, like an existentialist.  e.g., Being and Nothingness is his bathroom reading material. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2017, 11:08:16 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
Kyrie is on 1st Take right now, getting interviewed by Max and Stephen A.

He sounds hungry to show he can be a true point guard and like he wants to shut up those who say he can't or won't play defense (I.E. Max Kellerman).

http://www.espn.com/watch/

Who dat?

Forgive me if I'm missing a joke or something, Kellerman is the co-host of First Take.  He put Kyrie on the spot about playing good D at times, but generally being happy just coasting.

« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2017, 11:20:15 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
As you can probably guess by now I listen to First Take at work, and they just spent about 15 minutes with Will Caine reacting to Kyrie's interview yesterday.  Everyone but Stephen A. was very hard on him, which seems fair to me. 

It's over now so I'm not going to post a link to the live stream, but wanted to give a heads up so you all can find it on YouTube later if you're interested in analysis from decent talking heads.

« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
As you can probably guess by now I listen to First Take at work, and they just spent about 15 minutes with Will Caine reacting to Kyrie's interview yesterday.  Everyone but Stephen A. was very hard on him, which seems fair to me. 

It's over now so I'm not going to post a link to the live stream, but wanted to give a heads up so you all can find it on YouTube later if you're interested in analysis from decent talking heads.

If HR ever wants to know why you're listening to First Take at work, I'm sure one of our resident attorneys could be available for consult.  Maybe it'd help Roy take his mind off Kyrie.  :)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2017, 01:27:08 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

If HR ever wants to know why you're listening to First Take at work, I'm sure one of our resident attorneys could be available for consult.  Maybe it'd help Roy take his mind off Kyrie.  :)

I'll just tell HR that First Take is central to my work reality... in which I'm humanely human.

« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2017, 02:28:00 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I dont like the trade, because we traded a guy who wanted to be on our team for a guy who wanted out of his team.

Now, I wont pretend to know the exact reason why Kyrie did what he did, nor am I going to second guess what Ainge was thinking. But Kyrie is a Celtic now and I will root for him with all my heart. I will support him like how I supported IT, Smart, Brown or Zeller, Melo and Sully. I will wish him the best, whatever he did in Cleveland, good or bad, I don't care now. What matters is what he does for the Celtics.

Now to be fair - didn't Isaiah want out of Phoenix when we traded for him?  In his case I think he wanted out because their three PG rotation was holding him back, and once he came to Boston he fit right in and loved the place. 

At the end of the day everybody has their reasons, and I don't think we can really judge a person for wanting a change without knowing what their reasons are.

I have left a job in the past when I was working for a great company, with good pay, good perks (complimentary health insurance, company shares, etc), a great team, etc.  Many would probably think I'm crazy for leaving that - but I had my reasons.  I left (mainly) because the job itself was a step backwards in terms of responsibilities and involved quite basic and unrewarding work - there was very little opportunity for me to learn or to grow professionally.  Because I was still pretty young at the time and still had a long way to go in my career, I was quite happy to trade some short term benefits (reduced salary, etc) in exchange for professional growth that would benefit my career in the long term.

What we have to remember here is that while we look at this guys basically as entertainers (and feel like it's up to them to do what makes us, as fans, happy) - for them this is a job and a career. 

So for Kyrie the decision to want to get out of Cleveland may not be sinister or evil at all - it may well be that he just feels he has learnt all he can learn in Cleveland given the role he plays, and the people he has around him.  Maybe he feels that the only way for him to take that next step and grow as a profession is to take on a fresh start in a new place - somewhere he can take on a different role, take on a larger responsibility, and be surrounded by a new group of people (e.g. Brad Stevens).  Maybe Kyrie is willing to sacrifice one or two perks now (almost certain finals run, a chance to play with Lebron, etc) in exchange for a chance for professional growth that could benefit his career long term.

Can't really criticise him for that.

Like I sais, I dont want to pretend to know what his reasons are, and I am also not going to assume what was ITs reason to want out of phoenix. IT wanted to remain with the Celtics, Kyrie wanted to leave Cleveland. Whatever IT did in phoenix doesnt change that fact.

And like I said, I will support Kyrie now because he is a Celtic. I dont care what his reasons are for leaving cleveland.

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2017, 04:04:21 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736

His brand over winning.

Himself over team.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about keeping his discontent on the DL so as not to disrupt his team's success, as in the Cavs.  After all, it wasn't Kyrie that leaked his trade demands.
That's how I read it as well. It seems like he'd known for a while that he wanted out of Cleveland but still played out the year as a professional.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2017, 05:29:23 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I dont like the trade, because we traded a guy who wanted to be on our team for a guy who wanted out of his team.

Now, I wont pretend to know the exact reason why Kyrie did what he did, nor am I going to second guess what Ainge was thinking. But Kyrie is a Celtic now and I will root for him with all my heart. I will support him like how I supported IT, Smart, Brown or Zeller, Melo and Sully. I will wish him the best, whatever he did in Cleveland, good or bad, I don't care now. What matters is what he does for the Celtics.

Now to be fair - didn't Isaiah want out of Phoenix when we traded for him?  In his case I think he wanted out because their three PG rotation was holding him back, and once he came to Boston he fit right in and loved the place. 

At least as far as actual quotes and such, that was Dragic, not Thomas, who was rumbling about getting out.

Though the buzz at the time was that none of the three guards (Dragic, Thomas, Bledsoe) was at all thrilled with the situation.   Dragic was simply the most vocal.

I got no axe on Kyrie's attitude or reasons for leaving.   All I care is how well he's going to perform for us.  He needs to be super-elite.

Oh - and I wish he'd grow the beard back.  I liked his beard.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2017, 09:22:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
Man I saw the clip of them discussing Kyrie's interview yesterday and Will Cain absolutely went crazy raging against Kyrie saying he had no business sounding arrogant and what not to Max Kellerman   ::)

Well lets see guys, I get that Kyrie wasn't 100% straightforward to you, but Stephen A. Smith was 100% right, WHY IN THIS FLAT WORLD would Kyrie explicitly say "I hate Lebron", or "I'm just doing this for myself", etc.??

Max just seems butthurt he couldn't make Kyrie take the bait.

That being said, there were times where it was cringeworthy seeing Kyrie dodge the questions or retort back asking to "rephrase the question" LOL. Idk it just felt weird too. I do wonder why he even wanted to take this First Take interview LOL.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller