Author Topic: Kyrie on First Take Right Now / Reactions to his Interview  (Read 11530 times)

Re: Kyrie on First Take Right Now / Reactions to his Interview
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2017, 09:10:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Like many others I haven't seen comments coming out from Irving that he wants to promote his brand above all else or that's why he wanted out of Cleveland. I also have never heard him say anything about why he didn't want to stay there. If you are reading his intentions based on him wanting out of Cleveland, that's your assumption and it may be a wrong or bad one. The KI I have seen in heard in public since the teade is saying all the right things. We will see if he backs that up on the court.

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2017, 09:51:28 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
With the Lebron question I thought he came across as smug.

Is he your least favorite celtic of last 5 years right now?

Once the games start, I'll be rooting for him. I disagree with his priorities, and I disagree with the trade, but he's an undeniable offensive talent.

But since you asked, no, Fab Melo is probably my least favorite Celtic of the last five seasons. Sean Williams just missed the cut.

What are Kyrie's priorities that you disagree with?

His brand over winning.

Himself over team.

Lol the hate is strong

To quote Kyrie in his opening presser, "Is there ever such thing as one person carrying a whole team? I don’t think so."
- LilRip

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2017, 11:34:51 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Kyrie is on 1st Take right now, getting interviewed by Max and Stephen A.

He sounds hungry to show he can be a true point guard and like he wants to shut up those who say he can't or won't play defense (I.E. Max Kellerman).

http://www.espn.com/watch/

Who dat?

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2017, 11:50:43 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Maybe he believes he has a better chance to win when he isn't on LeBron's team?

Unless he developed a severe intellectual disorder, I doubt this is true.

Have you considered that maybe Kyrie made this decision based on where he feels he has a better chance to win long term, rather than putting all of his eggs into one basket?

Cleveland were a mess right now.  They weren't beating Golden State, everybody knows that because they didn't even come CLOSE to beating them last season - and a Derrick Rose who has the body of a 50 year old isn't going to change that.

And if they don't beat Golden State, then Lebron probably walks after this season - just as he has done every other year when he has been on a team that has suddenly lost its ability to contend. 

And if Lebron leaves Cleveland then the team is left in the hands of an amateur GM, after the much loved former GM (who did a pretty great job up until now) left the team.

So now you have a Cavs team built around Kyrie and Kevin Love, that (even after losing Lebron) is still well above the salary cap, that would no doubt make the playoffs but would have no hope of competing for a title...and a roster on which the average player age is probably 32.

Chances are that if Lebron leaves Cleveland probably goes through a full rebuild with Kyrie as the central piece - and now Kyrie has to ensure the next 3-6 years playing on a lottery bound team with no chance of winning, while playing mentor to a stream of upcoming rookies year after year.

Or he could ask to be moved to a team who actually has some kind of certainty to their future - a relatively young team that is already competitive, where he can be the #1 guy and hopefully be the man to lead that team to the  finals for the next 5 years.

What teams are there in the east like that?  Washington yeah, but they already have a star PG in Wall who they are highly unlikely to trade for Kyrie (a sideways move, maybe even a downgrade). You have Charlotte,  they aren't bad and you have to think Kyrie is an upgrade over Kemba Walker - but other then Walker what else does Charlotte have that Cleveland would possibly want to help their future in the case of Lebron leaving? Frank Kaminsky?  Not good enough.  Michael Kidd Gilchrist?  Too much of a liability on offense.  They could probably put something together, but probably nothing that Cleveland loves.

Phoenix could offer a package based around Bledsoe, but Kyrie is not likely interested in moving to Phoenix - a garbage lottery team in the West that likely won't sniff the playoffs got half a decade. 

The could try to facilitate a trade with Philly for Fultz, but Lebron doesn't want an unproven  rookie PG - that's not going to convince him to stay.

Boston made sense for both team and player.  Cleveland got a great haul, and Kyrie got to go to the second best team in the East - a team who (if Lebron leaves next year) could very rapidly become the BEST team in the East, while happening to also be one of the youngest teams in the NBA with only two guys (Baynes and Horford) over 30 on the roster, this is a team Kyrie can join which has a great shot at being a perennial Eastern Conference contender for the next 5+ years, which is more appealing then a Cleveland team which PROBABLY makes the finals this year, but then may very easily go full rebuilt for the next four.

This is something you have to consider.  These guys aren't just looking at today, or tomorrow.  They are making decisions for their future.  And Kyrie's future is FAR brighter in Boston then it projected to be in Cleveland.

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2017, 11:54:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Have you considered that maybe Kyrie made this decision based on where he feels he has a better chance to win long term, rather than putting all of his eggs into one basket?

Cleveland were a mess right now.  They weren't beating Golden State, everybody knows that because they didn't even come CLOSE to beating them last season - and a Derrick Rose who has the body of a 50 year old isn't going to change that.

And if they don't beat Golden State, then Lebron probably walks after this season - just as he has done every other year when he has been on a team that has suddenly lost its ability to contend. 

And if Lebron leaves Cleveland then the team is left in the hands of an amateur GM, after the much loved former GM (who did a pretty great job up until now) left the team.

So now you have a Cavs team built around Kyrie and Kevin Love, that (even after losing Lebron) is still well above the salary cap, that would no doubt make the playoffs but would have no hope of competing for a title...and a roster on which the average player age is probably 32.

Chances are that if Lebron leaves Cleveland probably goes through a full rebuild with Kyrie as the central piece - and now Kyrie has to ensure the next 3-6 years playing on a lottery bound team with no chance of winning, while playing mentor to a stream of upcoming rookies year after year.

Or he could ask to be moved to a team who actually has some kind of certainty to their future - a relatively young team that is already competitive, where he can be the #1 guy and hopefully be the man to lead that team to the  finals for the next 5 years.

What teams are there in the east like that?  Washington yeah, but they already have a star PG in Wall who they are highly unlikely to trade for Kyrie (a sideways move, maybe even a downgrade). You have Charlotte,  they aren't bad and you have to think Kyrie is an upgrade over Kemba Walker - but other then Walker what else does Charlotte have that Cleveland would possibly want to help their future in the case of Lebron leaving? Frank Kaminsky?  Not good enough.  Michael Kidd Gilchrist?  Too much of a liability on offense.  They could probably put something together, but probably nothing that Cleveland loves.

Phoenix could offer a package based around Bledsoe, but Kyrie is not likely interested in moving to Phoenix - a garbage lottery team in the West that likely won't sniff the playoffs got half a decade. 

The could try to facilitate a trade with Philly for Fultz, but Lebron doesn't want an unproven  rookie PG - that's not going to convince him to stay.

Boston made sense for both team and player.  Cleveland got a great haul, and Kyrie got to go to the second best team in the East - a team who (if Lebron leaves next year) could very rapidly become the BEST team in the East, while happening to also be one of the youngest teams in the NBA with only two guys (Baynes and Horford) over 30 on the roster, this is a team Kyrie can join which has a great shot at being a perennial Eastern Conference contender for the next 5+ years, which is more appealing then a Cleveland team which PROBABLY makes the finals this year, but then may very easily go full rebuilt for the next four.

This is something you have to consider.  These guys aren't just looking at today, or tomorrow.  They are making decisions for their future.  And Kyrie's future is FAR brighter in Boston then it projected to be in Cleveland.

Then why were the Knicks a top-5 destination for him?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2017, 12:02:49 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Once the games start, I'll be rooting for him. I disagree with his priorities, and I disagree with the trade, but he's an undeniable offensive talent.

But since you asked, no, Fab Melo is probably my least favorite Celtic of the last five seasons. Sean Williams just missed the cut.

His brand over winning.

Himself over team.

Lol the hate is strong

To quote Kyrie in his opening presser, "Is there ever such thing as one person carrying a whole team? I don’t think so."

Honestly, it's starting to get ridiculous...

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2017, 12:39:16 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I dont like the trade, because we traded a guy who wanted to be on our team for a guy who wanted out of his team.

Now, I wont pretend to know the exact reason why Kyrie did what he did, nor am I going to second guess what Ainge was thinking. But Kyrie is a Celtic now and I will root for him with all my heart. I will support him like how I supported IT, Smart, Brown or Zeller, Melo and Sully. I will wish him the best, whatever he did in Cleveland, good or bad, I don't care now. What matters is what he does for the Celtics.

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2017, 12:42:38 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Kyrie Irving Just Put Together The Greatest Defensive Performance In His Career!  :laugh:

BRAVO.

I really do hope he’s genuine about being excited to be in Boston and it’s not just him being smug and saying "I want to solely promote my brand and after demanding a trade I landed here so I guess that’s cool".

If he truly loves playing here (like Crowder, IT and others did), he can become a legitimate superstar PG (Top-3 PG along with likes of Westbrook, Curry).

He left 5.8 Million Dollars on the table to Join the Boston Celtics. That was just the trade kicker. He will lose more than that.

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2017, 12:51:53 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Then why were the Knicks a top-5 destination for him?

Ok, think about this one. 

Lets say Kyrie stays in Cleveland, they lose to the Warriors, Lebron splits next year. 

First things first, Cleveland is over the cap - so it cannot sign anybody.  And nobody on the team beyond Kyrie really has any trade value - their next best asset is Kevin Love, and Clevleand has been trying to dangle him as trade bait for years with no success.  And you have no picks of value either, since you've been dominant the past 3 years. So the first step Cleveland has to take in this rebuild process is to clear our all of their undesirable contracts, which would include (at the very least)...

* Kevin Love - $22.6M x 3 (too old to rebuild around)
* Iman Shumpert - $10.3M x 2 (bad contract)
* JR Smith - $13.8M x 3 (bad contract and too old)
* Kyle Korver - $7M x 3 (too hold for rebuild)

Those contracts add up to $56.2M which accounts for 56.7% of Cleveland's salary cap...all taken up by what are pretty much dead-weight players.  Based on Boston's own experience (trying to ditch guys like Gerald Wallace and Kris Humphreys, Rondo, etc) clearing contracts isn't always especially easy, and you don't always get a lot back.  So Cleveland probably has to spend the next entire season or two (or worst case, even three) trying to clear all of those contracts off their books before they can actually free up max cap space to pursue a serious free agent.  So by now two years have passed, Kyrie is 27, Tristan Thompson is 28 - and finally you are ready to actually go after talent...

Now you're stuck trying to build a team around Kyrie and Tristan Thompson - both in their prime and approaching the end of their contracts.  That's not exactly an all star core to try to attract free agents with.  Then on top of that you are Cleveland - a city nobody wants to play for, and a franchise which has been a losing franchise every single year Lebron hasn't been there.  Not exactly attractive either.  So maybe it takes you two years before you finally get an All-Star to sign with you.  Now Kyrie is 29. Thompson is 28 - and you're still only JUST starting to assemble your team...and Kyrie has just wasted a good 4 years of his career.

Now lets look at option #1 - trade to New York.

Because Kyrie's $7M trade kicker would have put his salary at $26M, which would have allowed the Cavs to trade him to the Knicks for Carmelo straight up, with a pick's easily thrown in as compensation. 

Lebron gets his sidekick in Melo so he's happy, might be enough to convince him to stay in Cleveland for another year or two. 

For Kyrie he (25 YO) gets to join Porzingis (22 YO) and Tim Hardaway Jr (25 YO) to form what is actually a pretty promising young core.  Given how weak the East is, that is a team that is legitimately one big piece away from being a strong playoff team for the next 5 years - all the Knicks need to do is find that piece.  Further to this, the Knicks have a pretty decent salary makeup for a young upcoming team - there is only one guy on the roster who is over 30 AND is making over $7M a year, and that is Joakhim Noah.  Even his contact isn't really THAT bad, and could probably be waived easily enough using the stretch provision to bring the Knicks under the cap.  And if you eventually clear cap space, then the Knicks have proven again and again that their city, their status as a big money spender and their status as a huge market team, continues to be a big attraction for free agents - as indicated by guys like Carmelo, Amare. Derrick Rose, and now Kyrie.  So put a decent young team there, and it's only a matter of time before some star free agent wants to sign up and join them among the bright lights.   

Is this the PERFECT scenario?  No.  But it's hardly a terrible one, and it's a HELL of a lot brighter then the Cleveland alternative.

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2017, 02:15:55 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
"I have a presence and aura about me that is very reality based"

Surprised he wasn't better prepared to deal with those obvious "what was wrong in Cleveland with LeBron" questions. That being said, I have no problem with Kyrie's dumbfounded reaction to the "did you talk to LeBron first".

His answer about wanting to be a PG was nice. "Getting out on the break, making plays for other guys  :-* :-* :-*
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2017, 03:12:29 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
I dont like the trade, because we traded a guy who wanted to be on our team for a guy who wanted out of his team.

Now, I wont pretend to know the exact reason why Kyrie did what he did, nor am I going to second guess what Ainge was thinking. But Kyrie is a Celtic now and I will root for him with all my heart. I will support him like how I supported IT, Smart, Brown or Zeller, Melo and Sully. I will wish him the best, whatever he did in Cleveland, good or bad, I don't care now. What matters is what he does for the Celtics.

Now to be fair - didn't Isaiah want out of Phoenix when we traded for him?  In his case I think he wanted out because their three PG rotation was holding him back, and once he came to Boston he fit right in and loved the place. 

At the end of the day everybody has their reasons, and I don't think we can really judge a person for wanting a change without knowing what their reasons are.

I have left a job in the past when I was working for a great company, with good pay, good perks (complimentary health insurance, company shares, etc), a great team, etc.  Many would probably think I'm crazy for leaving that - but I had my reasons.  I left (mainly) because the job itself was a step backwards in terms of responsibilities and involved quite basic and unrewarding work - there was very little opportunity for me to learn or to grow professionally.  Because I was still pretty young at the time and still had a long way to go in my career, I was quite happy to trade some short term benefits (reduced salary, etc) in exchange for professional growth that would benefit my career in the long term.

What we have to remember here is that while we look at this guys basically as entertainers (and feel like it's up to them to do what makes us, as fans, happy) - for them this is a job and a career. 

So for Kyrie the decision to want to get out of Cleveland may not be sinister or evil at all - it may well be that he just feels he has learnt all he can learn in Cleveland given the role he plays, and the people he has around him.  Maybe he feels that the only way for him to take that next step and grow as a profession is to take on a fresh start in a new place - somewhere he can take on a different role, take on a larger responsibility, and be surrounded by a new group of people (e.g. Brad Stevens).  Maybe Kyrie is willing to sacrifice one or two perks now (almost certain finals run, a chance to play with Lebron, etc) in exchange for a chance for professional growth that could benefit his career long term.

Can't really criticise him for that.

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2017, 06:28:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
With the way some fans are not embracing him it will surely cause hm not to sign.   Hopefully, once the jersey is on his chest people will change and cheer for the guy.   

I will be the first guy to rip him if he does not give a decent effort night in and night out.

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2017, 08:39:53 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
With the way some fans are not embracing him it will surely cause hm not to sign.   Hopefully, once the jersey is on his chest people will change and cheer for the guy.   

I will be the first guy to rip him if he does not give a decent effort night in and night out.
Winning solves everything.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2017, 08:55:46 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Has he mentioned the reality that he lives in, or discussed things that are humanely human?

He emphasizes reality and human so much it makes me wonder if he used to believe he was captured by a UFO and he now repeats that he's a human who lives in a reality-based world as part of his recovery.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2017, 09:20:50 AM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things

His brand over winning.

Himself over team.

Where do you get himself over team?  On first take he specifically says he is looking forward to being a complete pg and "playing his position".  It is no question he was relegated to ISO scoring guard for the most part in Cleveland and the rest of the team was built around lebrons strengths - not kyries. boston and San Antonio were allegedly the top two teams on his list - his real list not the one first reported by woj.  It also sounds like kyrie was disappointed in level of coachin in Cleveland.

Does someone who wants better coaching, better team basketball, and wants to be a complete PG rather than scoring guard only sound like someone who puts himself over team?

I'm just not sure where your distaste for kyrie comes from.  I loved IT and am bummed that he won't be part of our org for years to come, but IT constant "back up the brinks truck" mantra was putting me before team - wasn't it? What has kyrie said that's me over team?