Author Topic: Kyrie on First Take Right Now / Reactions to his Interview  (Read 11603 times)

Re: Kyrie on First Take Right Now / Reactions to his Interview
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2017, 04:16:47 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
With the Lebron question I thought he came across as smug.

Is he your least favorite celtic of last 5 years right now?

Once the games start, I'll be rooting for him. I disagree with his priorities, and I disagree with the trade, but he's an undeniable offensive talent.

But since you asked, no, Fab Melo is probably my least favorite Celtic of the last five seasons. Sean Williams just missed the cut.

What are Kyrie's priorities that you disagree with?

His brand over winning.

Himself over team.

In this interview I'm not getting that. He said he wants to play point,Lebron controlled the ball and yes I know Irving had it more, but he was being put into ISO situations because he's the best at getting his shot. But he said he wouldn't have to be in an ISO system, and he can get Hayward and Horford the ball and space.

There is nothing wrong with giving yourself the best opportunity to be the best you can be. He was almost traded for PG13 which means Lebron thinks he's better, and he can't play the way he wants to with Lebron. And if the King leaves, the team is still in cap hell with Love and Thompson. So Improving will be out unless they can make a trade, and who knows. He could see the writing on the wall, either he's going to get traded and have no say, or he's stuck in Cleveland with a meh team if Lebron leaves.

So him leaving for Boston, in an open court system gives him the best situation to get better and become the best player he can.

And yeah he sounded a bit smug, but look at Jordan,Bird,Kobe and their interviews. Especially pre-PC, Bird sound like an @$# half the time. Not saying Kyrie is in the same class as those guys, but he's dang good, and with that comes a bit of attitude. I mean IT oozed it, but that who he was and it was usually great.

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2017, 04:25:57 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63

Once the games start, I'll be rooting for him. I disagree with his priorities, and I disagree with the trade, but he's an undeniable offensive talent.

But since you asked, no, Fab Melo is probably my least favorite Celtic of the last five seasons. Sean Williams just missed the cut.

RIP Fab

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2017, 04:37:09 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I just think Kyrie is growing. Haven't any of you left a job because you just felt like you had outgrown the situation. How about if you knew the company was going under, wouldn't you be looking for another job.

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2017, 04:58:04 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I just think Kyrie is growing. Haven't any of you left a job because you just felt like you had outgrown the situation. How about if you knew the company was going under, wouldn't you be looking for another job.

Jeez. He was only in Cleveland. You make it sound like he worked at Sears.

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2017, 05:00:47 PM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76

His brand over winning.

Himself over team.

Didn't realize you and Kyrie had such a close relationship that you can so adeptly assess his priorities.

Lol. Are those things you need to be close friends to assess?

Kyrie has talked about this being a business, and wanting to expand his brand. He felt the need to leave a three-time Finalist to do that.

Maybe he believes he has a better chance to win when he isn't on LeBron's team? Maybe he knows LeBron is leaving? Kyrie dodged so many questions I don't think we learned anything except he didn't want to be in Cleveland anymore.

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2017, 05:03:33 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63

His brand over winning.

Himself over team.

Didn't realize you and Kyrie had such a close relationship that you can so adeptly assess his priorities.

Kyrie has talked about this being a business, and wanting to expand his brand. He felt the need to leave a three-time Finalist to do that.

I see it more like this:

It's widely assumed LBJ is leaving CLE next year. Kyrie has already experienced CLE without LBJ, and it wasn't pretty. The CLE organization has clearly put a priority on keeping LBJ happy, possibly at the expense of Kyrie's happiness. The Cleveland organization is currently in a state of (perpetual?) chaos.

IMHO Kyrie is simply leaving before LBJ leaves him high and dry next year, and I see nothing wrong with that.

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2017, 05:05:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Maybe he believes he has a better chance to win when he isn't on LeBron's team?

Unless he developed a severe intellectual disorder, I doubt this is true.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2017, 05:11:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Is somebody allowed to care about winning but also want to seek career fulfillment by seeking a working situation where they will be allowed the freedom to fully explore their talent?

It's funny, I feel like a lot of the same people who criticized Durant for leaving OKC, ostensibly to have a better shot at winning, are the same folks now criticizing Kyrie for wanting a chance to define himself independent of LeBron.

I would say the fact that Bron is almost certainly leaving the Cavs next year had to be a big factor for Kyrie wanting out, also (perhaps LeBron even told him straight up, "I'm leaving in a year").   While that cuts against the notion of Kyrie being motivated by seeking a chance to be his own man, it also cuts against the criticism of him caring more about his personal brand than winning.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2017, 05:20:33 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

His brand over winning.

Himself over team.

Lol. You're claiming to know what his thought process is. I have yet to hear Kyrie say in an interview that he values himself over the team or his brand over winning. Even though he said multiple times in his press conference that he believes in the team over himself.

All players talk about this being a business. He's not the first, he won't be the last. Again, Kyrie hasn't said that he's leaving LBJ to further his brand. Either you're privy to information that the rest of us mere mortals don't have or you're making assumptions on his character based on your dislike of him.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 05:31:54 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2017, 05:49:25 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125

Jeez. He was only in Cleveland. You make it sound like he worked at Sears.

LOL too funny...being in Cleveland is worse than working at Sears. :-)

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2017, 07:40:52 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

His brand over winning.

Himself over team.

Lol. You're claiming to know what his thought process is. I have yet to hear Kyrie say in an interview that he values himself over the team or his brand over winning. Even though he said multiple times in his press conference that he believes in the team over himself.

All players talk about this being a business. He's not the first, he won't be the last. Again, Kyrie hasn't said that he's leaving LBJ to further his brand. Either you're privy to information that the rest of us mere mortals don't have or you're making assumptions on his character based on your dislike of him.

Wouldn't be the first, last or one-thousandth time.   ;)

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2017, 07:57:14 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

His brand over winning.

Himself over team.

How on earth can you conclude either of those things?

Your hate for him is getting irrational at this point.

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2017, 08:06:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
he must be sick and tired of the same questions

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2017, 08:08:47 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

His brand over winning.

Himself over team.

In all fairness that three time Finalist team was going to be very different after this season when the real drama king departs again. And then he's left with a rebuilding team in the city of Cleveland. I'd want to get out too.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2017, 08:11:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Kyrie Irving Just Put Together The Greatest Defensive Performance In His Career!  :laugh:

BRAVO.

I really do hope he’s genuine about being excited to be in Boston and it’s not just him being smug and saying "I want to solely promote my brand and after demanding a trade I landed here so I guess that’s cool".

If he truly loves playing here (like Crowder, IT and others did), he can become a legitimate superstar PG (Top-3 PG along with likes of Westbrook, Curry).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller