Author Topic: NBA Rookie of the Year Candidates (Jayson Tatum?)  (Read 6876 times)

Re: NBA Rookie of the Year Candidates (Jayson Tatum?)
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 10:53:44 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
The favorites:

Ball
Simmons

Next tier:

Tatum
Fultz

Dark horses:

Smith
Fox
I dont see Fultz and Tatum in the same tier.

Id expect Smith or Fox to win more than I would Tatum.

I think Fultz and Tatum are absolutely in the same Tier.  They are both similar aged players who comparable scoring capabilities (both elite), comparable athletic ability (both good athletes but not explosive), comparable rebounding ability (relative to their position),  comparable defensive ability (both are limited defensively now, but have high defensive upside) and both have comparable size for their position (very good, but not elite). 

The only key distinguishing factors I see is that Fultz is the more skilled playmaker, while Tatum is a better pure shooting (FT% as evidence) and seems to have a better mentality.

I'd say that they are extremely close as prospects to be honest.

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 10:59:17 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Theis could be in the running if he beats out Baynes and Morris to start. It's not completely out of the question seeing how well his recent international play has been. An older more experienced rookie should have a dominant edge over one and done guys from college.

I don't get the fascination with Theis to be honest.

Even against international competition, he looks pretty unspectacular...and I've seen countless players who DOMINATED at an international level come over to the NBA and fail miserably.  I expect literally nothing from Theis - if we can get >15 genuinely effective/productive minutes from him per game (without him getting fouled out on a nightly basis), then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Pretty much expecting him to be a poor-man's version of a young Amir Johnson...as a best case.

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 12:10:01 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The favorites:

Ball
Simmons

Next tier:

Tatum
Fultz

Dark horses:

Smith
Fox

I think Fultz and Tatum are absolutely in the same Tier.  They are both similar aged players who comparable scoring capabilities (both elite), comparable athletic ability (both good athletes but not explosive), comparable rebounding ability (relative to their position),  comparable defensive ability (both are limited defensively now, but have high defensive upside) and both have comparable size for their position (very good, but not elite). 

The only key distinguishing factors I see is that Fultz is the more skilled playmaker, while Tatum is a better pure shooting (FT% as evidence) and seems to have a better mentality.

Nobody is comparing them as prospects in this thread.  Their likelihood of winning Rookie of the Year is being compared.

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 12:28:43 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
That point gaurd the clips signed: Milos Teodisic could make a run.

shades of Juan Carlos Navarro
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 12:33:33 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
That point gaurd the clips signed: Milos Teodisic could make a run.

shades of Juan Carlos Navarro

Like this take.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 03:15:58 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
The favorites:

Ball
Simmons

Next tier:

Tatum
Fultz

Dark horses:

Smith
Fox

Nobody is comparing them as prospects in this thread.  Their likelihood of winning Rookie of the Year is being compared.

Ahh - I read this post out of context then.  My apologies :)

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 03:30:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
DSJ, Fox, Fultz and maybe Simmons are my likely top guys.

Tatum will likely get 10-15mpg less than these guys from the get go, so I can't see him getting it, and I think Ball will struggle immensely.

I think Markkanen and Isaac could be dark horses. If Markkanen can build upon his form that's displayed playing for Finland he could be something, and if Isaac's defensive attributes translate he could be something.

Teodosic is another guy, but hard to tell how many minutes he'll get with Beverly and Rivers.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 05:40:45 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Theis could be in the running if he beats out Baynes and Morris to start. It's not completely out of the question seeing how well his recent international play has been. An older more experienced rookie should have a dominant edge over one and done guys from college.

Even against international competition, he looks pretty unspectacular...and I've seen countless players who DOMINATED at an international level come over to the NBA and fail miserably.  I expect literally nothing from Theis - if we can get >15 genuinely effective/productive minutes from him per game (without him getting fouled out on a nightly basis), then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Pretty much expecting him to be a poor-man's version of a young Amir Johnson...as a best case.
It's not that I expect anything just me just thinking outside the box. All the rookies are question marks. But I am just looking at the trend. That he could be in the running due to being older and experienced. He played really well this last fiba tourney. Usually the older rookies fair well year one. If he played along Irving, Smart, Hayward and Horford an average of 11/7/2 wouldn't be hard to get. Brogdon won averaging 10/3/4.

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 06:26:11 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

It's not that I expect anything just me just thinking outside the box. All the rookies are question marks. But I am just looking at the trend. That he could be in the running due to being older and experienced. He played really well this last fiba tourney. Usually the older rookies fair well year one. If he played along Irving, Smart, Hayward and Horford an average of 11/7/2 wouldn't be hard to get. Brogdon won averaging 10/3/4.
Last year's class was very weak.  I wouldn't be surprised if 10 rookies exceed Brogdon's numbers. 

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 06:54:33 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Last year's class was very weak.  I wouldn't be surprised if 10 rookies exceed Brogdon's numbers.
To add more context - Kyrie (the guy on our team, 6 year vet, 3 finals, Rio OG, Spain WC) is less than 9 months (263 days) older than Brogdon. LOL. Basically, it means that they are age/class comparable. I think our ROY is better.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2017, 08:53:50 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Just to get a prediction on the record, I think Ben Simmons will win it.  He should get plenty of minutes and i think he is really good.

Fultz and Tatum will be in the same boat in that they will not get the regular minutes, or if they do, they won't be ready for them.  And for Ball, I he just has too many holes in his game right now.  He probably will be good someday but not this season.

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 10:27:51 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Did a forum search before starting a new thread and found this.   It's a conversation worth revisiting even though it's still very early in the season.

With Hayward going down, Tatum is bound to get much more minutes than initially expected.  The only other player who might significantly cut into Tatum's minutes is Morris when he returns from injury.  But so far through 3 games Tatum has averaged 35.6 minutes and a very respectable 12.3 PPG and 9 RPG.

Ben Simmons  or Lonzo Ball might finish with better overall statlines, which mostly determines ROTY, but they're playing on a losing teams with more opportunity for touches per game and shots per game and I hope that this comes into consideration.  I don't think Fultz will win it.

For the record, I don't find ROTY to be an important award by any means, but I'd still like to see Tatum win it.  I love what I'm seeing from him so far.

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2017, 10:37:34 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Did a forum search before starting a new thread and found this.   It's a conversation worth revisiting even though it's still very early in the season.

With Hayward going down, Tatum is bound to get much more minutes than initially expected.  The only other player who might significantly cut into Tatum's minutes is Morris when he returns from injury.  But so far through 3 games Tatum has averaged 35.6 minutes and a very respectable 12.3 PPG and 9 RPG.

Ben Simmons  or Lonzo Ball might finish with better overall statlines, which mostly determines ROTY, but they're playing on a losing teams with more opportunity for touches per game and shots per game and I hope that this comes into consideration. I don't think Fultz will win it.

For the record, I don't find ROTY to be an important award by any means, but I'd still like to see Tatum win it.  I love what I'm seeing from him so far.

Simmons maybe, but not Ball. He won't (can't) score enough to get him there. It'll be Simmons or Tatum, and Tatum probably has the edge right now due to the expanded role on a much better team.

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2017, 11:02:43 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I'm going out on a whim and saying Malik Monk.

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2017, 11:35:57 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I'm going out on a whim and saying Malik Monk.

For setting a PER Record?