Author Topic: A hidden gem in next years draft  (Read 2623 times)

A hidden gem in next years draft
« on: September 18, 2017, 12:15:01 AM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
Okay, so news just came out that ESPN no 9 prospect, Mitchell Robinson coming out of high school has decided to not go to college but rather spend the year in the gym with a basketball trainer. While I definitely think this will help him develop as a player I think it could really hurt his stock. With the Lakers pick and limbo and maybe ending up in the late lottery, this kid could be the young future franchise center this team needs.
Link on why he decided to leave colelge
http://scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Five-star-big-man-Mitchell-Robinson-will-bypass-college-begin-tr-107602754

I decided to find all I could about this kid. Turns out he only started playing basketball in grade 10 so he could go to college. You could tell just how raw this kid was in his interview as a junior. He almost sounds like he doesn't even know the rules to basketball in the interview. Yet his potential was so great he made the was invited to the U18 basketball camp.

U18 interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G0JrtkWreI

His skill level was really just running the floor and dunking the ball. He stood over his peers immensely leading to very little challenge at the rim.He was a little uncoordinated at timing his blocks. On occasion, he could hit a mid-range jumper. As you can see lots of room for improvement

His junior year highlights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnzpvwexmlw

One year later
This kid is being interviewed by Draftexpress after being invited to McDonald's All American game.
He seems like a genuinely nice guy, very polite. He is a nice southern kid who doesn't seem to feel much pressure from the limelight. He doesn't have a big ego whatsoever. If he were to come into the Celtics situation he would be surrounded by stars in Irving and Hayward.Who knows maybe even Tatum and Brown. Ainge his shown in his last 2 drafts that he really values character among his players. Even though in the last 2 drafts a good chunk of people thought Tatum and Brown should have gone 3rd. He claims to have learned a 3 point shot and handles. This is a big improvement from last year when his big goal was to learn how to catch the ball correctly.

Link to his interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRcA4QLyGUQ

After watching a number of his highlights, He has indeed learned how to shoot the 3. His handles have improved tremendously. Thus, making him a beast in transition. He has learned to time his jumps which made him a much better shot blocker. Surprisingly, he has also improved in his steal percentage. Showing that his defensive game has also taken a big leap forward. The best thing I am taking from this is that he has improved A LOT. I think this speaks to his work ethic. I understand that starting from the bottom, of course, you are going to improve. Still, it is hard to make such a leap forward.

Senior year highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GP42IEGzH8

Mitchel has transformed himself into an explosive athletic player who can shoot the 3 and protect the rim. His quiet demeanor and strong work ethic are surely a big plus as well. However, there are 2 major concerns in his game. Due to his inexperience in his game, he is bound to have gaps in his basketball IQ. While experience will no doubt improve his basketball IQ, I worry how he could handle hard defensive schemes. His second biggest weakness is probably his most obvious one, the fact that he has not really played with the big boys. He will not be playing college ball. There will be no stats to show how he can perform against better competition. I do not know how strong his post defense will be against bigger men. I don't know how consistent his 3 point shot is in games. I do not know how he performs in key moments. In conclusion, He is a great prospect who fits a lot of the Celtics needs. However, without playing college ball there is a lot of unknowns to his game. If the Lakers pick lands in number 7,8,9. I would definitely have to take a good long hard look at this kid.

zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Re: A hidden gem in next years draft
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 06:13:07 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'd love to have him but the Lakers pick only conveys in the 2-5 range.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 06:56:06 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Okay, so news just came out that ESPN no 9 prospect, Mitchell Robinson coming out of high school has decided to not go to college but rather spend the year in the gym with a basketball trainer. While I definitely think this will help him develop as a player I think it could really hurt his stock.

When a guy hides like that away from the public eye, he has something to hide.

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 06:58:22 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Could be available with our own pick next year.

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 07:01:49 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If the Lakers pick lands in number 7,8,9. I would definitely have to take a good long hard look at this kid.

If the Lakers pick ends up 7, 8, or 9, then it's the 76ers that will be taking a long hard look at him. We only get the pick if it's 2, 3, 4, or 5
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 08:02:25 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Okay, so news just came out that ESPN no 9 prospect, Mitchell Robinson coming out of high school has decided to not go to college but rather spend the year in the gym with a basketball trainer. While I definitely think this will help him develop as a player I think it could really hurt his stock.

When a guy hides like that away from the public eye, he has something to hide.

According to reports there are some maturity and work ethic issues with him. Perhaps the level of accountability in D1 and/or the pressure of collegiate academics gave him pause. Regardless, aside from his VERY limited game and funky running style there are a lot of physical tools there. I'm particularly impressed with his quick jumping, specifically his second jump, and his speed in running the floor at his listed 7'1 height.

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 09:57:23 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
He sure likes to block shots and dunk.  I would say that he has about everything you would want in a <18 year old 7'-1" prospect.  I would recommend college though if I was advising him.  Most prospects with one year of Div 1 major college experience are not ready for the NBA much less someone who takes a "gap" year.  If he wants a career in basketball or even just one really good contract, he needs to play and play against the best competition that he can find.  NBA teams just don't have the roster slots necessary to develop guys like this over 3 or 4 years.

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 10:02:07 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I watched him play in an all star game on TV last spring, and remember being real impressed, and wondering why on earth was he going to western kentucky.

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 11:34:09 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
If the Lakers pick lands in number 7,8,9. I would definitely have to take a good long hard look at this kid.

If the Lakers pick ends up 7, 8, or 9, then it's the 76ers that will be taking a long hard look at him. We only get the pick if it's 2, 3, 4, or 5

Unless we trade our Sacramento/Philly 2019 pick to take him there. 

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 11:36:12 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis

Unless we trade our Sacramento/Philly 2019 pick to take him there. 

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 02:16:22 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Hard to gamble a high pick on such an unknown.  Now if he is available at pick #30, I could see the risk being worth it.

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 04:10:41 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
nbadraft.net has him at #28.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

(I used to use draftexpress but now they're behind the almighty ESPN paywall... >:()

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 04:19:09 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He is in play for our late 1st round pick. If all goes well, we walk out the draft with porter and Robinson.

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 05:13:56 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'm particularly impressed with his quick jumping, specifically his second jump, and his speed in running the floor at his listed 7'1 height.

Those are great traits to have in a player that usually bode well on the boards.

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 05:38:28 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
He should sign with a G-League team if he's not up for pretending to be a college student.

He needs to stay in some sort of competitive ball or teams will be very skeptical.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.