Author Topic: Brinks truck and Ainge backed in corner and a forced majeure  (Read 9122 times)

Re: Brinks truck and Ainge backed in corner and a forced majeure
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2017, 07:08:23 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
If you don't believe that Coach Stevens had a hand in helping IT have the greatest year of his career, then I don't believe you are giving him the credit he deserves.

Does Ty Lue get credit for Kyrie having his best year last season?  What percentage is Lue, and what percentage is Kyrie?

I give CBS credit for recognizing what an amazing player he had, but the level of play is due to IT.
Kyrie's season wasn't a huge outlier.  Definitely his best, but not the type of stratospheric leap that IT made.  In any case, I credit the players and view Stevens as the better coach.

- Isaiah jumped from 22.2 PPG to 28.9 PP (+6.7 PPG)
- Kyrie jumped from 19.6 PPG to 25.2 PPG (+ 5.6 PPG)

Really not that dramatic a difference in all honesty.

Isaiah also benefited from being on a far better team with the addition of Horford (who's playmaking got Thomas many open looks) combined with the offensive improvement of Bradley and Crowder (who both had better shooting years, creating more space for Thomas). 

So while Thomas no doubt took his game to another level last season, the fact that he had a much stronger team around him helped too. 

By comparison Kyrie's situation really did not change from 15/16 to 16/17 aside from the addition of Kyle Korver (which only happened mid season from memory).  Otherwise Cleveland didn't really add anybody worth mentioning, and none of their existing plays improved in any way worth mentioning - Kyrie's improvement was pretty much all him.
Kyrie's previous best was 22.5, not 19.6.

I wasnt talking about his previous best, i was taking about the jump he made from last season to this season.

Re: Brinks truck and Ainge backed in corner and a forced majeure
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2017, 12:52:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If you don't believe that Coach Stevens had a hand in helping IT have the greatest year of his career, then I don't believe you are giving him the credit he deserves.

Does Ty Lue get credit for Kyrie having his best year last season?  What percentage is Lue, and what percentage is Kyrie?

I give CBS credit for recognizing what an amazing player he had, but the level of play is due to IT.
Kyrie's season wasn't a huge outlier.  Definitely his best, but not the type of stratospheric leap that IT made.  In any case, I credit the players and view Stevens as the better coach.

- Isaiah jumped from 22.2 PPG to 28.9 PP (+6.7 PPG)
- Kyrie jumped from 19.6 PPG to 25.2 PPG (+ 5.6 PPG)

Really not that dramatic a difference in all honesty.

Isaiah also benefited from being on a far better team with the addition of Horford (who's playmaking got Thomas many open looks) combined with the offensive improvement of Bradley and Crowder (who both had better shooting years, creating more space for Thomas). 

So while Thomas no doubt took his game to another level last season, the fact that he had a much stronger team around him helped too. 

By comparison Kyrie's situation really did not change from 15/16 to 16/17 aside from the addition of Kyle Korver (which only happened mid season from memory).  Otherwise Cleveland didn't really add anybody worth mentioning, and none of their existing plays improved in any way worth mentioning - Kyrie's improvement was pretty much all him.
Kyrie's previous best was 22.5, not 19.6.

I wasnt talking about his previous best, i was taking about the jump he made from last season to this season.
but in the context of taking a stratospheric leap, acknowledging Kyrie's previous career high is the more sound way to do it, especially when that 19.6 reflects Irving coming back from an injury that cost him a couple of months of the season.  In December, Irving only averaged 13 ppg in 4 games.  January in 16 games just 17.2.  By February he was back to being healthy and averaged 23.1 in February, 20.5 in March, and 21.4 in April.  He was at 25.2 in the playoffs that year. 

Yes, Irving set a career best last year at 25.2, but he has had seasons of 22.5, 21.7, and 20.8.  Irving didn't have some crazy jump like Thomas did.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip