Author Topic: Brinks truck and Ainge backed in corner and a forced majeure  (Read 9201 times)

Re: Brinks truck and Ainge backed in corner and a forced majeure
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2017, 12:59:01 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
This was win win for everybody-Crowder and Thomas are on a contender and Irving is on a young contender with team players and one coach-Irving fits well with Hayward and Horford.
Isaiah has the luxury of taking his time recovering not watching his team struggle and rushing back.
Crowder will not have to watch his minutes given to Hayward,Jaylen,Jayson even Morris.He gets to play an important part on a team favored to face the Warriors -some players never get that opportunity to play for a title or with best player in NBA.
This was a golden parachute for these two.
The Nets pick that is a loss but we have a young 4 time all star-NOW

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2017, 01:04:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
My guess is that it was almost exclusively the injury.

It's just plain bad decision-making if IT's public promotion of himself played a part in the decision to trade him. Do we punish guys for seeking what they're worth?

You mean what they THINK they're worth. Because I strongly doubt many, if any, GM's were willing to offer a healthy Thomas a 4 year deal at max money. Age is the biggest factor here and paying Thomas that type of money for 95% of a contract that will be played on the wrong side of 30 is a really bad idea.
If healthy I am convinced IT would have gotten a 4 year max. Now if Ainge didn't want to give him that money and traded a healthy IT in the Kyrie trade, I doubt we would have traded the Brooklyn pick.
from who?  who was/is giving Thomas that contract?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2017, 02:33:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If you don't believe that Coach Stevens had a hand in helping IT have the greatest year of his career, then I don't believe you are giving him the credit he deserves.

Does Ty Lue get credit for Kyrie having his best year last season?  What percentage is Lue, and what percentage is Kyrie?

I give CBS credit for recognizing what an amazing player he had, but the level of play is due to IT.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2017, 02:38:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

It's just plain bad decision-making if IT's public promotion of himself played a part in the decision to trade him. Do we punish guys for seeking what they're worth?

You mean what they THINK they're worth. Because I strongly doubt many, if any, GM's were willing to offer a healthy Thomas a 4 year deal at max money. Age is the biggest factor here and paying Thomas that type of money for 95% of a contract that will be played on the wrong side of 30 is a really bad idea.
If healthy I am convinced IT would have gotten a 4 year max. Now if Ainge didn't want to give him that money and traded a healthy IT in the Kyrie trade, I doubt we would have traded the Brooklyn pick.

He'd look great in Dallas.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2017, 02:45:20 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

They just drafted Dennis Smith.

Any other team?

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2017, 02:52:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Any other team?

Plenty of them. Pacers. Hawks. Bulls. Lakers, depending on how things shake out for them.

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2017, 02:55:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Any other team?

Plenty of them. Pacers. Hawks. Bulls. Lakers, depending on how things shake out for them.
why would a rebuilding team offer Thomas a max contract?  Lakers I could see, but with Ball, I don't really see the fit.  The Pacers, Hawks, and Bulls are going to be bad rebuilding teams, what use is Thomas to them?

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2017, 03:00:07 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Any other team?

That's the problem, though. 3 of those teams have PGs (Schroeder, Dunn, Ball). The Pacers could be an option, but the feeling has to be mutual. They do have Joseph, Collison, and Oladipo (who they'll use some at the 1). A lot of PGs in the league and Thomas has 4 things against him - age, injury, size, and the contract he's looking for.

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2017, 03:03:12 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Any other team?

why would a rebuilding team offer Thomas a max contract?  Lakers I could see, but with Ball, I don't really see the fit.  The Pacers, Hawks, and Bulls are going to be bad rebuilding teams, what use is Thomas to them?

Exactly. It's going to be a tough market for him. The Brinks truck is going to 3/4 empty.

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2017, 03:28:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Any other team?

Talent. Leadership. To lure other free agents. Ticket sales.

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2017, 03:29:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Any other team?

Exactly. It's going to be a tough market for him. The Brinks truck is going to 3/4 empty.

If he's signing for the MLE it's even more of a mistake trading him, isn't it?

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2017, 03:46:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Any other team?

Talent. Leadership. To lure other free agents. Ticket sales.
But those teams all generally have young PG's or only have cap space for 1 max level free agent.  why would they use it on Thomas?

I've been saying for awhile Thomas wasn't going to get a max contract next summer, but he might have very well left if he felt slighted by Boston, even for less money elsewhere. 

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2017, 03:56:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
My fantasy:  No one offers IT a decent contract, he agrees to come back to Boston as PG off the bench for min deal.  That would be sweet.

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2017, 03:59:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
My fantasy:  No one offers IT a decent contract, he agrees to come back to Boston as PG off the bench for min deal.  That would be sweet.

Why come off the bench when he's better than the guy in front of him?

;)

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2017, 04:15:53 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don 't know the exact sequence here, but Ainge sure came out of this smelling like a rose. Irving just about fell into his lap. I don't think he was ready to entrust the PG position to any 19yo kid--not for this team aiming to challenge the Warriors. As for IT's agent, it is customary for agents to look for the best deal for their clients--and for their highest commissions.

I'm sure IT felt underpaid, considering his huge impact on the Celtics. I still hearken back to Zeller's contract-- a scrub who was paid more than IT and other bigger contributors. I'm sure that was a bitter pill to swallow for IT. He now wants to get paid.