Author Topic: Possible Catalonia referendum  (Read 863 times)

Re: Possible Catalonia referendum
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 11:26:49 AM »

Offline greece666

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1006
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Just wondering how the EU plays in this.  Has the EU made any statements?  If Catalonia did become independent, I assume they'd want to remain in the EU but would they be able to do so?

iirc they would have to apply for admission as an independent state. And Spain would be able to veto their admission.

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 12:56:57 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1028
BARCELONA/MADRID, Oct 4 (Reuters) - Catalonia will move on Monday to declare independence from Spain after holding a banned referendum, pushing the European Union nation towards a rupture that threatens the foundations of its young democracy.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/catalonia-expected-to-move-to-declare-independence-from-spain-on-monday/ar-AAsSYVu?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Wow, this is getting real.

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 02:56:45 AM »

Online Androslav

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 159
Since I am living in a country that yearned for its independence for centuries and the one that earned that independence the hard way, I naturally side with the Catalan people on this question.
History tells us that it is the best for both sides to make this split as peaceful as possible, without destructive intentions and in good faith (example Czechoslovakia) if they care about their children and their children's children. This situation will pass, but the coexistence and dependability between the people (probably 2 nations) will remain. Responsible politicians, that's what Iberian peninsula needs now.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 04:20:29 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rim."